Why I like McCarthy more than Garrett

DFWJC

Reaction score
Just in his most recent presser, McCarthy made one thing very clear that was different from Garrett:
he clearly said they evaluate each opponent's strengths and weaknesses and gameplan accordingly--including both plays and personal--to best exploit the opponent.

Not " we focus on what we do and don't worry about the opponent" stuff.

ghst187

Reaction score
I'm not convinced yet that McCarthy is the guy that can take us to the promised land, BUT I'll tell you one thing I appreciate. They set Terence Steele up for success. That dude was ready, and they gave him some help from time to time. You guys remember that Falcons game a couple of years ago? The worst game I can remember. They had some rookie out there, or free agent (I can't remember who it was) and Garrett and company just left him out there to fight for his life, and the Falcons had like 25 sacks that night. It was truly a nightmare. Steele's performance tells me McCarthy is a step up.

chaz Green.
Never made a single in-game adjustment.
I don’t think MM is a good coach, I do think he’s better than clown JG.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

Big deal.... speeches get you nothing. Players dont play for a coach, rah rah is so overated. Was Tony Dungy in your face Rah rah? Joe Gibbs? Whatever works, works.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Big deal.... speeches get you nothing. Players dont play for a coach, rah rah is so overated. Was Tony Dungy in your face Rah rah? Joe Gibbs? Whatever works, works.

That's from 2014, Garrett's first Playoff win. It definitely wasn't that hyped in Garrett's last years.

I still like Big Mike's locker room finish better, especially the Cowboys on 3 and no announcements about a day off.

Obviously a rah rah isn't everything, no one is saying it is. But personal leadership style and the chemistry in the locker room definitely speak about the coach's results.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
MEANWHILE...:lmao2:.
5o0p69.jpg

Reid1boys

Reaction score
That's from 2014, Garrett's first Playoff win. It definitely wasn't that hyped in Garrett's last years.

I still like Big Mike's locker room finish better, especially the Cowboys on 3 and no announcements about a day off.

Obviously a rah rah isn't everything, no one is saying it is. But personal leadership style and the chemistry in the locker room definitely speak about the coach's results.
My only point is that none of us are in the locker room, we arent at practice and we dont have a clue hoe any coach interacts on a daily basis with those players. In addition, we have no clue how the players receive what the coach says. It is nothing more than perception added in with some personal bias.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I like McCarthy more than Garrett because he is a Super Bowl winning HC and has proven to be a good offensive mind.

McCarthy’s problems are clock management, baffling decision making at times, and leaning too heavily on the passing game.

T-RO

Reaction score
I'm not convinced yet that McCarthy is the guy that can take us to the promised land, BUT I'll tell you one thing I appreciate. They set Terence Steele up for success.

How much of a role did McCarthy have in "setting up Steele for success"? What actions or decisions did he make?

8FOR!3

Reaction score
If the head coach isn't a coordinator they're typically a glorified manager. I'm assuming McCarthy has the final say on the field, but he coaches the team and lets the coordinators call plays and do their job.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
I'm not convinced yet that McCarthy is the guy that can take us to the promised land, BUT I'll tell you one thing I appreciate. They set Terence Steele up for success. That dude was ready, and they gave him some help from time to time. You guys remember that Falcons game a couple of years ago? The worst game I can remember. They had some rookie out there, or free agent (I can't remember who it was) and Garrett and company just left him out there to fight for his life, and the Falcons had like 25 sacks that night. It was truly a nightmare. Steele's performance tells me McCarthy is a step up.

If Garrett is the bar it has been set extremely low. I'd take JJ Pearce's Freshman teams coach over the Red Clapper

DuncanIso

Reaction score

I gotta see wins.

BermyStar

Reaction score
I like MM more tha n JG just because he isn't JG

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I like McCarthy because he actually attempts to coach, rather than serve as a cheerleader!

He also pays attention to setting game plans, based upon the tendencies of the opposition.

Jason Garret really wasn't an X's and O's type of strategist. Big Mike pays attention to that.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
WHO CARES!

tico

Reaction score
Garrett was cancer and McCarthy is just our chemotherapy

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Are you really a Cowboys fan, or just posing as one?! Honest question . . .
Seriously, who cares about Garret...............he's gone! Let's move on to the awesome clock management MM has or the mind set of a head coach who would allow an all out jail break on San Diego's punter that resulted in lost points in the 1st half of last week's game. As for your post EAT SH^T!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

The main thing for me is that he's a Super Bowl-winning head coach, along with several NFC Championship Game appearances. I know some don't give him any of the credit for that and want to chalk it all up to Rodgers, but it's a team game and without the right team support, even Rodgers couldn't get it done by himself. McCarthy deserves more credit for what he accomplished in Green Bay up until Rodgers went through some injury issues. That doesn't mean he'll repeat the success here, but I'd rather give someone who has done it before a few years than try the Build-a-coach approach we did with Garrett for far too long.