Why is a defensive tackle so important to this team right now?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sometimes it's just nice to talk General football. Without having a main topic. Why is a defensive tackle so important to this team right now. What is the offense going to look like. More balance. Can Prescott be the main focus.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
2 of our best players on defense are our LBs, the more you can free them up to fly around and make plays the better in my opinion.

It would also help Tank and other edge rushers to have some one capable of collapsing the interior of the pocket.

JayFord

Reaction score
A defensive tackle is imo the most important part of a defensive yes that includes the middle linebacker

A strong DT can take over a game without registering one tackle or a sack

If he causes other teams to double him the ends can’t be doubled and have the freedom to pin their ears back. He also keeps the guard and center off of the linebackers so they can flow easily from sideline to sideline and he also clogs up the middle so you have to run side to side which makes the offensive rushing attack predictable

Without a good DT your defense will falter, you may get away for a while but not for long

conner01

Reaction score
Looks like DT is covered
On offense last year we was pretty balanced
Ran 439 passed 527
Balance comes from effectively running the football and converting 3rd downs
Can’t stick to the run if you are in 3rd and long constantly
My guess is a healthy oline helps the run game be more effective. More unpredictable play calling will help both run and pass
We moved the ball fairly well but struggled in the redzone
Fixing the redzone is really the key to winning
If the D can be as good as most of last year and the offense as effective as last year, and you fix the redzone that’s huge
If either can be better then you could be one of the top offenses
Predictable play calling means you have to physically beat your opponent, unpredictable play calling means sometimes to fool him and not always have to be perfect on every play
It’s tough when a fan on the couch can call run/pass and be right most of the time

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sometimes it's just nice to talk General football. Without having a main topic. Why is a defensive tackle so important to this team right now. What is the offense going to look like. More balance. Can Prescott be the main focus.

Because of how thin we are at the position. Having an impact player on the side who can push the pocket and get quick pressure on the QB would be big for this or any team. As for offense I really want to see if there will be real changes with Moore running the offense opposed to Linehan, for me what I hope to see is an offense using motion with the Wideouts and creating mismatches and confusion for the defense. I think with Cooper and Gallup we have 2 dangerous WR throw in Cobb and the running game this offense can be explosive. Ball is in Moore court of how he works with these weapons.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The colts game and the rams game. Pressure up the middle and players like that to keep our LB clean.

I still don’t know how much it would have helped in the rams game. The whole line just didn’t show up. I am still in disbelief. There run game should have been shut down in the second half with the players we had then.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The colts game and the rams game. Pressure up the middle and players like that to keep our LB clean.

I still don’t know how much it would have helped in the rams game. The whole line just didn’t show up. I am still in disbelief. There run game should have been shut down in the second half with the players we had then.
We didn't have mudders in the rams game.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
It wasn't just the DTs, it was also because of the lack of adjustments and coaching. Better DTs may have helped, but we had been good against the run most of the year,coaching and preparedness was as much a factor in what happened against the Rams.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
It wasn't just the DTs, it was also because of the lack of adjustments and coaching. Better DTs may have helped, but we had been good against the run most of the year,coaching and preparedness was as much a factor in what happened against the Rams.
Yup. Chris Carson was 5th in the league in rushing, and we held him to 13 carries for 20 yards just the week before in the Wild Card game.

I'm not buying that it was just the DT's that fell apart. Coaching was definitely a factor.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Because our LB’s broke records making tackles at the second level which ought not to be. This is a strong indictment on the DT’s.

We also don’t collapse the pocket enough from the interior, we need more push up the middle..

Collins has chronic foot issues, we need another big boy up front to pair with Wood and the new guy what’s his face...

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Yup. Chris Carson was 5th in the league in rushing, and we held him to 13 carries for 20 yards just the week before in the Wild Card game.

I'm not buying that it was just the DT's that fell apart. Coaching was definitely a factor.
Yep, the coaching staff was so worried about stopping the passing game that they were unprepared when the Rams decided to go run heavy. The Colts game caught the coaches and players by surprise. The Colts were predominantly a ZBS team, but chose to go primarily man block scheme against us which caught the coaches and players totally by surprise. The players weren't seeing what they expected to see and what they had practiced for and the coaches struggled to adjust. Both times players weren't prepared or ready when a team changed it's approach.