Why is country music so unpopular?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Because Hank Williams, Jr and all his rowdy friends have settled down, or died...

roughneck266

Reaction score
Country music died a long time ago. It literally no longer exists. It's POP songs about dirt roads and bros.
There are still a few. Jamey Johnson, etc.. Generally I agree with your assessment, though. My personal rule is if they have eye liner on and they are male, I probably ain't listenin. :)

cowboyec

Reaction score
love me some Waylon.
Hank Jr.,too.
heck...one of Elvis' greatest albums was the '71 classic Elvis Country...recorded in '70...a true gem.
Ray Charles had a classic LP Modern Sounds in Country &Western...one of his greatest.
who isn't a little bit country...and a little bit rock n roll?

FloridaRob

Reaction score
i have not listened to music on the radio since the 1980s. Seriously, my grandkid asks me all the time if I have heard of this group, that song, or that singer and I have no idea who they are. I listen to either news talk conservative radio or sports talk radio. Back when I did listen to music on the radio Country was my choice. But that was listening to Alabama, Oak Ridge Boys, (followed then since they were gospel quartet) Charlie Rich, Glen Campbell, kenny Rogers, and the Statler Brothers. If I listen to country in the car today it is those groups from a Pandora channel. I would not recognize a Blake Shelton tune from a Kenny Chesney tune. I am amazed that kids listen to hip hop or rap today and actually call it music.

Passepartout

Reaction score
Not a big fan of country but can tolerate it. Love the classics like Florida Rob does. But really kids not just listen to rap, hip hop, but heavy metal, Justin Bieber, and other music that is not called music.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
Country is the 2nd most popular music format in American radio after Adult Contemporary, which is why after 25 years in radio, I do not listen to radio. News/talk is the most popular radio format, another reason I do not listen as I find it depressing that those people are not incarcerated somewhere and are free to roam the same country that I am.

For years, Country had a stigma attached to it of Bubba and Earline in the single wide comparing gaps in their teeth but it began to change in the 80's and really made a move in the 90's. This was in conjunction with the emergence of Grunge in Rock and the exodus of many listeners in search of something else. Some had already left with the breakup of the Beatles, the real "Day the Music Died" to a large segment of the audience. And Nashville took note and so did the label composers.

"Urban Cowboy" is given responsibility by a lot of consultants for the real take off and glamorizing Country and then there was the Elvis and Michael Jackson of Country, Garth and Country found a new audience and that image of the Grand Ole Opry was replaced by a huge arena act taking Country to where it had never been before.

So, unpopular really only applies to the Country haters, both groups. The ones that hate the twang and the ones that hate the Nashvilling of real Country.

I do not think most people look at it as a choice of Country or Rammstein, there is soooo much in between.
If you ever get a chance to attend the Grand Ol Opry it is worth it. I've been twice and it waa very entertaining.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
A damn good country music album just won Album of the Year at the Grammys, which is essentially a massive popularity contest.