Why is everyone talking about Jeff Heath?

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
George Iloka is the starting strong safety. Period.

Yet every single post when talking about safeties contains moaning about Heath. A backup.

If you wanna be upset about the Cowboys not prioritizing safety in the draft or free agency, that’s fine and understandable. But everyone seems to forget that Iloka exists.

Last edited:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I’m not so sure... with his long frame, I hope Iloka is what Richard wants for his system and that he gets most of the snaps.

I think the truth is that there will be split snaps for both, which might not be a bad idea with one being much better against he run (Iloka) and one better in the pass game (Heath).

I don’t hate Heath like many here, BTW, and I’m glad Dallas drafted Hill.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Iloka has been named the starter? If not, are you friends with Kris Richard or Jason Garrett?

It’s pretty clear Iloka and Heath will compete for the job. I’d venture to guess even the coaches don’t know who wins the starting job. Either way, both guys will get a lot of snaps.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
I mean, has Robert Quinn been named a starter? No. But we can all venture to take an educated guess that he’s starting.

Iloka has a much more proven track record and experience over Heath. He’s just better. I’m confident in saying he will he the starter over Heath.

sbark

Reaction score
Maybe Lloka pushes Heath back to free safety....which pushes x.woods to backing up both slot CB (where he did very well) and safety spots

Heath then gets back to leading team in picks again, and game saving tackles like vrs raiders

Sydla

Reaction score
Maybe Lloka pushes Heath back to free safety....which pushes x.woods to backing up both slot CB (where he did very well) and safety spots

Heath then gets back to leading team in picks again, and game saving tackles like vrs raiders

I’d prefer he just be a backup S.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score

Yet every single post when talking about safeties contains moaning about Heath. A backup.

If you wanna be upset about the Cowboys not prioritizing safety in the draft or free agency, that’s fine and understandable. But everyone seems to forget that Iloka exists.

While not necessarily as confident as you, I think that is the plan.

Woods seems set as the FS, thus leaving SS as the position in question. The Cowboys seem to hint Iloka is a SS so it makes sense to assume he will be given every opportunity to beat out Heath, not Woods.

morat1959

Reaction score

No...that’s not why. We’re all just amazed that Heath is on the roster much less the starter the last few years. It’s just another glaring light of the incompetence of this coaching staff. Don’t be shocked if Heath doesn’t trot right back out to his starting position this season.

stilltheguru

Reaction score

I’m as big a fan of Heath as anybody but I’m not putting Woods on the bench for him. No thanks

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
"Why is everyone talking about Jeff Heath?"

Because he sucks?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He's still going to see significant playing time. And Iloka was a backup himself last season - it's an improvement, but nothing I'm all that excited about.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I’m not so sure... with his long frame, I hope Iloka is what Richard wants for his system and that he gets most of the snaps.

I think the truth is that there will be split snaps for both, which might not be a bad idea with one being much better against he run (Iloka) and one better in the pass game (Heath).

I don’t hate Heath like many here, BTW, and I’m glad Dallas drafted Hill.

So you had no problem with Dallas passing on the safties?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
So you had no problem with Dallas passing on the safties?
Not for an explosive 3T, no.

Had they taken a WR, for example, I would have had a problem passing on Rapp and Thornhill. I liked both guys and thought they could help... but I’ve wanted a 3T DT with a first step like that for a long time. I didn’t think they’d take Hill but yes, I’m glad they did.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Nobody is talking about Heath.
In fact nobody cares about him.

We all are talking about the safety position because iloka is not a solution there.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Not for an explosive 3T, no.

Had they taken a WR, for example, I would have had a problem passing on Rapp and Thornhill. I liked both guys and thought they could help... but I’ve wanted a 3T DT with a first step like that for a long time. I didn’t think they’d take Hill but yes, I’m glad they did.

Fair enough!