Why isn't Ezekiel Elliot in prison?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Innocent in a court of law.

Guilty in the court of public opinion.
Can't the NFL avoid this mess and leave all of this to the police? Who asked for this? Even the ray rice thing. Somehow he dodged jail, alright well we're a sports league not anything else. He can play or the ravens can cut him or you can burn his jersey. Whatever. This whole thing is just weird. If he did it show us the evidence and lock him up. If you don't have evidence you did more harm than good. Gave power to blackmailing and ruined a guys life.

stiletto

Reaction score
I really think there is some precedent. If a player has no legal action taken why is he being punished? Well the only answer is the stupid CBA that the players agreed to. It's dumb and they need to not be stoopid next time and agree to unlimited punishment power by the Commish.

In a way it is simple...Zeke got hosed because of his fellow players, their lawyers and the head of the NFLPA. Not saying Goodell is innocent of being a DB.... he is one. Just saying that there is a lot of blame to go around here and no one side is innocent of buffoonery.... Zeke is definitely guilty of buffoonery himself. It is what it is....

I am not a fan on any side of this cluster. I think they are ALL dopes including the Commish office, Zeke, and the NFLPA.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Can't the NFL avoid this mess and leave all of this to the police?

Your employer can, and probably does, have a personal conduct policy. I have suspended employees without pay for improper conduct, and they have a union, and I had every right to do it under the CBA and employment law. It doesn't have to rise to the level of a crime.

plasticman

Reaction score
Your employer can, and probably does, have a personal conduct policy. I have suspended employees without pay for improper conduct, and they have a union, and I had every right to do it under the CBA and employment law. It doesn't have to rise to the level of a crime.
That is absolutely correct amd I think most people understand this. I think some are asking the wrong question.

The quesrion was never, "Does Goodel have the authority to suspend Ezekiel Elliot?"

The real question is actually twofold:

SHOULD Goodel have suspended Ezekiel Elliott, that is, based on previous suspensions of other players and the amount of evidence, was the suspension the correct and ethical thing to do?

Was Ezeekiel Elliot treated fairly by the process as envisioned by the players when the CBA was signed?

My answer to both of those questions are no and Hail No!

Zman5

Reaction score
Give Godell some time. I'm sure he'll try to put players in prison because he doesn't like the way they smell.

Verdict

Reaction score

No. But it has to have some basis in fact.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

"I had every right to do it under the CBA and employment law." - Me

That statement wouldn't be accurate if it had no basis in fact, counselor. :rolleyes:

TWOK11

Reaction score
1. Does the NFL have better investigators than the police?

2. If so, why isn't ezekiel Elliot charged?

The NFL carries no requirement to fulfill any burden of proof and has the power to arbitrarily suspend any player for anything, so long as they go about it through the process outlined in the CBA.

That document, which the NFLPA signed willingly and most fans supported to keep these "uppity, thug athletes" in check, gives the commissioner near-ultimate power to do as he wants. Does it suck? Yes. It sucks even more for the few of us who screamed from the rooftops how bad this would turn out at the time, only to be drowned out by the masses.

So when you are upset by this, just sit back and remember: Most fans wanted this.

Here you go

TWOK11

Reaction score

Not really

Now a completely unsubstantiated claim made with full knowledge of its falsehood could potentially be pursued in civil court under libel/slander laws, but the NFL could suspend Zeke for his hairstyle tomorrow if a panel consistent with the rules outlined in the CBA approved it.

In this case, no civil court would side with Zeke because Zeke can't show the league knowingly made false claims about it. All the league has to say we genuinely he hit her, and Zeke can't show a preponderance of evidence to the contrary.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It was a misdemeanor charge at most.......no prison for 1st offense