Why Jabril Cox fell to round 4

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Weaknesses
  • Plays upright from the second level too often.
  • Doesn't appear to be a very quick processor from inside.
  • Early play quickness limited by excessive thinking.
  • Lacking patience necessary to decipher misdirection.
  • Loses pursuit leverage and occasionally overflows cutback lanes.
  • Needs to become more aggressive taking on blocks.
  • Gets outside shoulder covered more than he should.
  • Inconsistent reading lane choices and blocking scheme.
Basically, he's Jaylon Smith. Slow to diagnose and react....... easily fooled on misdirection....wrong lanes ect. I'm not sure this defense can have 2 LBs like this........
:rolleyes:

morasp

Reaction score
Strengths
  • Excellent work ethic and is accomplishment-oriented on and off field.
  • Not at all out of place athletically in move from FCS to SEC.
  • Willing to play through pain.
  • Outstanding field range with explosive closing burst.
  • Comes from backside linebacker spot to make tackles near far sideline.
  • Agility to make sudden change of direction in pursuit.
  • Steps upfield to challenge block and push run back inside.
  • Capable of playing quickly off the block and making tackle.
  • Pocket navigation and acceleration to become dangerous blitzer.
  • Sticks and runs with pass-catching tight ends in coverage.
  • Instinctive and reactive when spot dropping.
  • Finished college with 26 passes defensed, including nine career interceptions.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don't think he was drafted as a starting every down LB, he specializes in the coverage part and will most likely be rotational.

Coverage is not a strength of Parsons so maybe Cox can balance that?

He's a 4th rounder and not much risk.

Cox was drafted in the 4th round,.. but he was projected as a 2nd round talent.
That's why you're hearing that we got value.

There's quite a few key players now in the NFL, even the well known established players that saw themselves fall more so and deeper into
the draft rounds than what many initially projected before hand .. for whatever reasons.

Aven8

Reaction score
Looking at his tape he looks like the most talented player on the field at LSU. He won three NC’s at ND St before that too.

freemanjc19

Reaction score
Weaknesses
Basically, he's Jaylon Smith. Slow to diagnose and react....... easily fooled on misdirection....wrong lanes ect. I'm not sure this defense can have 2 LBs like this........

Oh, I thought he had character concerns!

LOL, I couldn't resist!

erod

Reaction score
i can name 100 players + that slid in drafts and now are PB or HOF players..

FACTS

the draft position doesnt determine greatness or failure..see Tom Brady and Kurt warner

hers fact i read post draft there are 17 UDFA HOFs compared to 14 first overall picks in the draft in the HOF,,chew on that..

so why are there more Undrafted players in the HOF then the ones choses first overall??

because draft boards, mocks, placemats, ratings etc are typically more wrong then right,.,talented players are taken all over the draft..these draft ratings are supposed to be used as barometers just something to look t but really a lot of scouts and team GMN boards differ from one another some stray way off from the ones fans try and follow..
Did I say otherwise?

But there are about 2000% more players drafted in later rounds that turn out to be short-term NFL players who just pass through.

And your question "so why are there more undrafted players in the HOF than chosen first overall" is just idiotic.

Uh, perhaps because because there have been about 80 players drafted first overall, and about 40,000 that were undrafted?

Math skills. Learn them. Not to mention, until fairly recently, the draft was mostly conducted by teams by looking at newspaper box scores.

erod

Reaction score
No one is arguing he should’ve been a first round pick. However, if you think he wasn’t great value where we got him, you don’t have a clue. That’s the point. Every player has weaknesses, but they also have strengths. Some only look at one side of the equation just to try and prove their position. That’s lazy and agenda pushing.

By the way, where he was drafted has nothing to do with whether he is successful. See Tom Brady, Terrell Davis, and hundreds of other players drafted much lower than Cox.
I didn't say he can't play. I even think it's a good pick. I'm just defending the OP, who was dogpiled in typical ridiculous Cowboy-fan style for pointing out the reasons teams repeatedly passed up this LSU linebacker.

He's apparently terrific in coverage, but weak against the run. He's like a big safety.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Did I say otherwise?

But there are about 2000% more players drafted in later rounds that turn out to be short-term NFL players who just pass through.

And your question "so why are there more undrafted players in the HOF than chosen first overall" is just idiotic.

Uh, perhaps because because there have been about 80 players drafted first overall, and about 40,000 that were undrafted?

Math skills. Learn them. Not to mention, until fairly recently, the draft was mostly conducted by teams by looking at newspaper box scores.

nah not idiotic!! THINK! before you speak....

the point is why did they go undrafted in the experts get it right more then wrong?? is is just I=UD players how many players so call fell or slid and turned out well they were very good players? how many were PBerss?

it means the draft experts make mistakes, mocks are not bibles and ranking s are there to use as part of a scouts research ..if that many players slipped through the cracks that means some of those fans her who hate our 3rd round picks might get schooled by one of them being very good. We dont need PB or HOGF at every pick we need role players , players who make solid contribution..

so fans ingenranl need to calp the F down and wait and see hwo the picls play over a rssoanble period of time befor deeming them falures or even reaches..

fansince68

Reaction score
Weaknesses
But without the "drop foot" so he has potential to improve.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Hahaha!

So he takes too long to process plays and he lacks patience on misdirection plays.

OK, sounds a little contradicting but I'm no scout.

Reactions: CWR

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Weaknesses

All traits can be fixed with good coaching and better training.

erod

Reaction score
nah not idiotic!! THINK! before you speak....

the point is why did they go undrafted in the experts get it right more then wrong?? is is just I=UD players how many players so call fell or slid and turned out well they were very good players? how many were PBerss?

it means the draft experts make mistakes, mocks are not bibles and ranking s are there to use as part of a scouts research ..if that many players slipped through the cracks that means some of those fans her who hate our 3rd round picks might get schooled by one of them being very good. We dont need PB or HOGF at every pick we need role players , players who make solid contribution..

so fans ingenranl need to calp the F down and wait and see hwo the picls play over a rssoanble period of time befor deeming them falures or even reaches..
Here's the policy that you should take.

All picks are crap until proven otherwise. Including Jabril Cox.

We heard this same stuff about Bradley Anae. He probably won't make the team. Same for Reggie Robinson. And hundreds of others over the years.

It's pointless to project greatness out of hope.

Just wait and see, and we'll know when we know.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Cox is a good football player. He's one of the better picks they made in this draft.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Weaknesses
ugghhh

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Here's the policy that you should take.

All picks are crap until proven otherwise. Including Jabril Cox.

We heard this same stuff about Bradley Anae. He probably won't make the team. Same for Reggie Robinson. And hundreds of others over the years.

It's pointless to project greatness out of hope.

Just wait and see, and we'll know when we know.
You're a nihilist.
Respect.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
If he's a good as Jaylon Smith, that's not bad considering where he was drafted. At worse, he's a role player for a few years. He was a good pick.

Motorola

Reaction score
Dont bother, the OP would complain if we drafted LT in his prime.
Do you EVER have a single positive thought circulate through your melon? But then again, you’re obviously far more football savvy than all of the actual experts.
Judging from the byname, 'atlantacowboy' lives in ATL proper or its surrounding environs; perhaps the collective misery psyche of sports fans here about the ineptness, shortfalls, and failures of their pro sports teams (for the mst part) ---seeped into atlcwby's fan soul....thus warping perspective on how to access the Cowboys.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Weaknesses

I do think that some seeing drafting Parsons and Cox as the beginning of the end for Smith and LVE is premature for several reasons.

1) We need three starting linebackers, so even if Parsons is one of them, we still need two more.

2) Smith and LVE might thrive in Quinn's defense. They played well together the last time both were able to stay healthy.

3) Cox may just be a subpackage linebacker, coming in on passing downs, which is what I see Neal's role being this year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I didn't say he can't play. I even think it's a good pick. I'm just defending the OP, who was dogpiled in typical ridiculous Cowboy-fan style for pointing out the reasons teams repeatedly passed up this LSU linebacker.

He's apparently terrific in coverage, but weak against the run. He's like a big safety.

And I wouldn't mind if he ended up there, as a strong safety in the mold of a Darren Woodson. I know he's supposedly weak against the run, but playing the run at safety is a little different than playing it at linebacker.