Why Jabril Cox fell to round 4

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I didn't say he can't play. I even think it's a good pick. I'm just defending the OP, who was dogpiled in typical ridiculous Cowboy-fan style for pointing out the reasons teams repeatedly passed up this LSU linebacker.

He's apparently terrific in coverage, but weak against the run. He's like a big safety.

They passed on him because of medical. Otherwise he was a 2nd round grade. Also calling him Jaylon Smith is a poor comparison.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Yeah, if Jabril has a shoulder issues he's not gonna mix it up, but he can still cover. Dude is a cover LB. Only, thing is he may not give much on STs with his situation.

Motorola

Reaction score
I truly question if HALF of these posters are true Cowboys fans.
They probably are fans, but more in the fair weather category. Very fair weather.
Just as likely they are trolls who are fans of other teams. No cost to register and join most sport team's fan sites. Even come with a "clever" username that supposedly reflects loyalty and passion for the franchise. Login - then infiltrate as many threads as one wants to do with inciting comments....or create a thread with a title and \ or first post that is polarizing.
It's similar to putting more effort and energy in booing-downgrading-jeering an opponent...than cheering for the team a fan supports.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Weaknesses
  • Plays upright from the second level too often.
  • Doesn't appear to be a very quick processor from inside.
  • Early play quickness limited by excessive thinking.
  • Lacking patience necessary to decipher misdirection.
  • Loses pursuit leverage and occasionally overflows cutback lanes.
  • Needs to become more aggressive taking on blocks.
  • Gets outside shoulder covered more than he should.
  • Inconsistent reading lane choices and blocking scheme.
Basically, he's Jaylon Smith. Slow to diagnose and react....... easily fooled on misdirection....wrong lanes ect. I'm not sure this defense can have 2 LBs like this........

I forgot you're the head of which NFL team's scouting department?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Weaknesses
Basically, he's Jaylon Smith. Slow to diagnose and react....... easily fooled on misdirection....wrong lanes ect. I'm not sure this defense can have 2 LBs like this........
They already have 2. 55 is a hot mess.

dwreck27

Reaction score
Weaknesses
Sooooo??

he’s a 4th round pick by scouts which is where we got him? He excels in coverage and we are betting we can get him to play fast in a simple scheme and find the ball playing down hill? At worst you got a nice STs player?

Dang some people will complain about anything

Reactions: CWR

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
i figured it was because the other teams were stupid.
Like, shah!

Cue valley girl hair flip.

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWSGyF-Dd7h78TkzF57TpSFFUDfos4AlxfIg3WsIsE5ZJX9MZpa9n-YCB4qUBRRcbge10&usqp=CAU

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sooooo??

he’s a 4th round pick by scouts which is where we got him? He excels in coverage and we are betting we can get him to play fast in a simple scheme and find the ball playing down hill? At worst you got a nice STs player?

Dang some people will complain about anything

...........and some people can't stand the thought of someone disagreeing with them. So, they complain about people having a discussion. I'm sad for you.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Someone should copy and paste Patrick Mahomes weaknesses from the draft experts. I’m not saying cox will be a pro bowler by any means, But give him a chance to learn and play. I’m sure many of us at 22 years old we’re not the same a couple years later, then a couple years after that. normally get better in your craft. If he doesn’t then start over again

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Someone should copy and paste Patrick Mahomes weaknesses from the draft experts. I’m not saying cox will be a pro bowler by any means, But give him a chance to learn and play. I’m sure many of us at 22 years old we’re not the same a couple years later, then a couple years after that. normally get better in your craft. If he doesn’t then start over again
Someone already did in this thread.

Reactions: CWR

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes, lets find a list of all the great players in the NFL, look up their pre-draft weaknesses and assume our 4th round pick is obviously on that path. Genius.

sbark

Reaction score
Remember, Jabril Cox was a first year player in the LSU system and the rest of the defense was less than effective.

He transferred from South Dakota State and was still named a captain 1st season with LSU, let that sink in.

I'm of the opinion that Jabril is a better run player than he's credited. The D-Line play at LSU was sub par to say the least.

He is also the best coverage LB I have ever watched. I would be comfortable with him carrying the all world rookie Kyle Pitts down the field.

Cox is 6'3", runs a 4.42 forty and has longer arms than most of the players that will be asked to match up with Pitts.

Keep this in mind, Jabril was asked to carry slot receivers down the field with no safety help routinely because, the safety play at LSU was horrific.

This kid is smart, tough, and competitive. He should be an excellent addition to the Cowboys.
Please please......not South Dakota state....zero fcs natty championships

He transferred from North Dakota State.... 12 time champs, 9 of last 10.
Same college as Wentz, Trey Lance,

Reactions: BAT

risco

Reaction score
Weaknesses
Well- he's not injured and certainly do have a problem as a result. Things you highlighted can by fixed by good coaching.

ultron

Reaction score
Weaknesses
3rd down coverage linebacker (if he makes the team)

conner01

Reaction score
Weaknesses
It won’t
Jaylon will spend this year interviewing for his next job
I don’t think Cox today is as good as jaylon in the run defense but really good in coverage
If by year two he could be as good as jaylon on run defense then he’s a steal because of the huge cap difference