Why Jason Witten might not make the Hall of Fame

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
1a) Hall of Fame voters traditionally have hated the Cowboys.

1b) Hall of Fame voters have traditionally only voted in Cowboys when they are on championship teams.
I don't think there's a single Cowboy in the HOF who played in the 1980s or only in the 1960s. Or any since then. HOF voters would have to break that pattern and put two in for Witten to get in. Given Rule 1a, they will be loathe to do it. So any borderline candidate faces a certain inertia. .

2) There aren't many tight ends in the Hall of Fame. T
here were only 8 tight ends inducted prior to Tony Gonzalez going into the HoF a few years back. So the new generation would have to see a bump of 50 percent for Witten to be fairly certain of a spot. Gronk and Gonzalez are ahead of him. Antonio Gates should be. Travis Kelce probably has the jump. You might be able to make the case for some older tight ends. Not many. But Keith Jackson comes to mind.

3) Witten was very good but only occasionally great.
He was a Pro Bowler 11 times. But he was only first team All Pro twice, at least according to PFR. Gates was 3 times, Gronk has been 4 times, Gonzalez 51 times, and Kelce has already been 3 times. So Witten's sort of the Andre Reed of tight ends. Very good, and hung around a long time. Of course, Reed somehow got into the Hall of Fame. So maybe that's not such a bad thing to be.

4a) He was a traditional safety valve in an era when tight ends were downfield threats.
His competitors, in their best years, averaged 13-16 yards per catch. Witten averaged 9-11 for most of his seasons.

4b) Too many catches were of the "Romo hits Witten for 5 yards on 3rd and 7" variety.
My pet peeve. But I'll throw it in. When the others caught passes, it was a sign the offense was succeeding. When Witten caught them, it was a sign the offense was failing.

I think Witten will get in because he's well liked. But I don't think he's a sure thing. And I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a lot longer than people think.

Most of the HOF voters are sportswriters and there has already be a lot of them that have said that he'll get a gold jacket in the future.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
"Fellas, I'm headed to the Hall of Fame.....and I'm taking the rug with me"

Witten.jpg

Pokefan1

Reaction score

1b) Hall of Fame voters have traditionally only voted in Cowboys when they are on championship teams.
I don't think there's a single Cowboy in the HOF who played in the 1980s or only in the 1960s. Or any since then. HOF voters would have to break that pattern and put two in for Witten to get in. Given Rule 1a, they will be loathe to do it. So any borderline candidate faces a certain inertia. .

here were only 8 tight ends inducted prior to Tony Gonzalez going into the HoF a few years back. So the new generation would have to see a bump of 50 percent for Witten to be fairly certain of a spot. Gronk and Gonzalez are ahead of him. Antonio Gates should be. Travis Kelce probably has the jump. You might be able to make the case for some older tight ends. Not many. But Keith Jackson comes to mind.

He was a Pro Bowler 11 times. But he was only first team All Pro twice, at least according to PFR. Gates was 3 times, Gronk has been 4 times, Gonzalez 51 times, and Kelce has already been 3 times. So Witten's sort of the Andre Reed of tight ends. Very good, and hung around a long time. Of course, Reed somehow got into the Hall of Fame. So maybe that's not such a bad thing to be.

4a) He was a traditional safety valve in an era when tight ends were downfield threats.
His competitors, in their best years, averaged 13-16 yards per catch. Witten averaged 9-11 for most of his seasons.

4b) Too many catches were of the "Romo hits Witten for 5 yards on 3rd and 7" variety.
My pet peeve. But I'll throw it in. When the others caught passes, it was a sign the offense was succeeding. When Witten caught them, it was a sign the offense was failing.

I think Witten will get in because he's well liked. But I don't think he's a sure thing. And I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a lot longer than people think.
Gonzales 51TIMES... God what a man!

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just reread the rules, and I think you must've deleted that one... accidentally, of course. :D
It's part of the "unwritten rules of the game" that veteran members know and respect while griping about the kids these days who do not.

In between yelling, "GET OFF MY LAWN!" of course :D

PoetTree

Reaction score
4b) Too many catches were of the "Romo hits Witten for 5 yards on 3rd and 7" variety. My pet peeve. But I'll throw it in. When the others caught passes, it was a sign the offense was succeeding. When Witten caught them, it was a sign the offense was failing.

You have seriously confused older Witten for prime Witten.

Your analysis went off-the-rails right then & there.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It's only as toxic as you allow it to be. If you ignore or mostly avoid the extremists, and don't take it too seriously, it can be a fun distraction and somewhat informative place.
Fair point. You also spend a ton of time in the sub-forums which are leaps and bounds more civilized than the main Cowboys board.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Nope, first year eligible induction

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

He’s a 1st ballot Hall of Famer. Where have you been?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It is specifically stated in the Cowboys fan handbook that these types of posts are not to be made until at least 2-3 weeks after the draft so we all know when the boring part of the off-season begins.
Actually, 2-3 weeks after the draft is an exiting time. OTA’s are starting if not already started.