Why Jerry won't commit to JG? PFT has an idea, and it has to do with Sean Payton

kevm3

Reaction score
No way Payton comes here. Maybe he'll scoop up an OC, or if he does replace Garrett, he'll grab a college guy. Riley with Richard running the defense would be fantastic.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
No way Payton comes here. Maybe he'll scoop up an OC, or if he does replace Garrett, he'll grab a college guy. Riley with Richard running the defense would be fantastic.

I just don’t see Garrett being replaced because Jerry likes him as a head coach and thinks the solution is a new OC.

Sandyf

Reaction score
It is just a rumor mill, nothing more, nothing less. Payton's contract with the Saints runs though 2020 (i.e. the next two seasons). Even if Jerry wanted him, he would have to pay the Saints a large sum of money, give up high draft picks like at least a number 1 in the 2020 draft and then probably have to sign Payton to 5 year contract in the $60 million range (he is getting $9 million a year now plus incentives).

Could it happen? Sure but the odds would be something like a million to one. Keep dreaming posters, keep dreaming.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty sure Sean has Jerry's number blocked now.

Actually...

The Dallas Cowboys dealt the New Orleans Saints a surprising defeat on Thursday Night Football, one that Jerry Jones will revel in for some time.

Come late February, Jerry Jones and Sean Payton will be emptying another bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon in Indianapolis at St. Elmo’s Steakhouse during the NFL Combine.

The 13-10 Cowboys win on Thursday night will be brought up often.

Jones and Payton go back a long way, to when Payton was the Dallas quarterbacks coach under Bill Parcells in 2003. Payton stayed three seasons before becoming the Saints head coach, a post many believed he would eventually take with the Cowboys.

https://fansided.com/2018/11/29/cowboys-saints-reaction-highlights-playoff-picture/

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is just a rumor mill, nothing more, nothing less. Payton's contract with the Saints runs though 2020 (i.e. the next two seasons). Even if Jerry wanted him, he would have to pay the Saints a large sum of money, give up high draft picks like at least a number 1 in the 2020 draft and then probably have to sign Payton to 5 year contract in the $60 million range (he is getting $9 million a year now plus incentives).

Could it happen? Sure but the odds would be something like a million to one. Keep dreaming posters, keep dreaming.

Not necessarily true about the draft pick compensation:

"Things have turned around since early in the season when the Saints were struggling and each week brought a new rumor about Sean Payton being linked to this job or that job.

But the talk isn't going away. The NFL Network reported Sunday morning, citing three sources, that Sean Payton's contract contains a clause that would allow him to leave New Orleans if there was a change in ownership.

The report goes on to state the organization would be willing to let him become a "coaching free agent" after this season if that is what he desired."

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orl...cle_e6cc4f05-f3e0-5144-948e-f170dc0516ac.html

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think it out of the realm of possibilty. Brees is like 69 years old. So, that New Orleans job is about to become a rebuild. Its "possible" Sean would look to Dallas with its young trio of offensive talent. I'm not banking on it but i'd be doing backflips if it happened.

wecasa

Reaction score
good grief. Maybe Jer is waiting on the AFC Championship game to conclude so he can woo Koolaid man or Bill Belichek or Sean McDaniel. Maybe Tom Brady hangs it up and becomes the cowboys QB coach.

Unfortunately I do not have a web page to spew nonsense on so I have to do it here. No way Peyton heads to Big D. He got on the first train outta town when it presented itself to him. Not coming back.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
good grief. Maybe Jer is waiting on the AFC Championship game to conclude so he can woo Koolaid man or Bill Belichek or Sean McDaniel. Maybe Tom Brady hangs it up and becomes the cowboys QB coach.

Unfortunately I do not have a web page to spew nonsense on so I have to do it here. No way Peyton heads to Big D. He got on the first train outta town when it presented itself to him. Not coming back.

No he didn't. Look it up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think it out of the realm of possibilty. Brees is like 69 years old. So, that New Orleans job is about to become a rebuild. Its "possible" Sean would look to Dallas with its young trio of offensive talent. I'm not banking on it but i'd be doing backflips if it happened.

That's what I can't help but to wonder about.

Great quarterback - but nearing the end - vs a young team well-stocked across the hoard with young talent? It could present an enticing decision to make?

wecasa

Reaction score
The fact that Payton did not get on the first train out of town.
Was there another? I don't recall the interview list.

Either way, why would he want to leave New Oreleans to work with Jer?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Didn’t he just come out in support of JG yesterday? He claimed 5 teams would be calling or something like that.
He also said he doesn't want to rule anything out because there are teams still playing...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was there another? I don't recall the interview list.

He could have had the Oakland Raiders job in 2004 but turned it down and remained in Dallas until 2006. A wise decision.

Either way, why would he want to leave New Oreleans to work with Jer?

Strictly hypothetical, but if Brees hangs it up, having to start over at that spot would be a big factor.

Secondly, the Cowboys are well-stocked with young offensive talent, a solid young defense, and a ton of cap space.

And thirdly, he and Jerry Jones have been and remain very close. You can look that up too.

Fourth, his young son lives and plays football in Texas. Moving back gets him closer to his family.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Lol. Never underestimate the hubris of an old wildcatter.
,,,er,,,that would obviously stand to be read as : "an extremely successful old wildcatter",,, as hubris don't much abide in the bankrupt& dejected dry holers of that particular field of speculationo_O

RodeoJake

Reaction score
,,,er,,,that would obviously stand to be read as : "an extremely successful old wildcatter",,, as hubris don't much abide in the bankrupt& dejected dry holers of that particular field of speculationo_O

One doesn't become an old wildcatter by being a dejected dry holer. You get to be an old wildcatter by avoiding dry holes. More to the point, even dry holers have hubris. They just don't become old wildcatters. The famous wildcatter, Tom Slick, was full of hubris even when he was referred to as Dry Hole Slick.