Why no INT's?

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, us and the Lions are the only teams without an interception so far this year. What gives?

We have guys that can get the damn ball.

:bang2: ::cough::Henry, Newman::cough::

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
sureletsrace;2305021 said:
If I recall correctly, us and the Lions are the only teams without an interception so far this year. What gives?

We have guys that can get the damn ball.

:bang2: ::cough::Henry, Newman::cough::

:bang2: :cough: : Dave :yousuck: Campo: :cough: :bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Interceptions seem to come in bunches, one of these days we will have a run of interceptions and it will even out for the year, stats wise.

I could care less though so long as we win a few more games than we lose.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I think primarily because the coaching staff thinks that all we have to do is play a bend but don't break defense and the offense will be good enough to carry us. Or at least they thought that prior to Sunday. Acquiring all these athletic man-to-man CBs and resigning Newman makes absolutely no sense with the types of coverage we've mainly been using.

All too often the D is conceding an 8-10 yd pass. Patient offenses will move the ball on us all year long if they continue to do that. The Commanders were able to do it last year to us as well, but their horrid coverage allowed TO to dominate their defense. Even then, it took a Newman int to save the game. I think most understand that you have to mix some zone in, but this loose 10 yd cushion stuff won't cut it against decent passing teams. Especially one predicated on the short pass like the skins.

I think the key to making this a championship team is that the defense become more than just ok. We have several very good players on our D, and a few elite stars. There's no reason we shouldn't have one of the top defenses in the league, instead of being in the middle of the pack.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2305146 said:
I think primarily because the coaching staff thinks that all we have to do is play a bend but don't break defense and the offense will be good enough to carry us. Or at least they thought that prior to Sunday. Acquiring all these athletic man-to-man CBs and resigning Newman makes absolutely no sense with the types of coverage we've mainly been using.

All too often the D is conceding an 8-10 yd pass. Patient offenses will move the ball on us all year long if they continue to do that. The Commanders were able to do it last year to us as well, but their horrid coverage allowed TO to dominate their defense. Even then, it took a Newman int to save the game. I think most understand that you have to mix some zone in, but this loose 10 yd cushion stuff won't cut it against decent passing teams. Especially one predicated on the short pass like the skins.

I think the key to making this a championship team is that the defense become more than just ok. We have several very good players on our D, and a few elite stars. There's no reason we shouldn't have one of the top defenses in the league, instead of being in the middle of the pack.

The pass rush is supposed to make the 10 yard cushions effective, in a man to man scheme if the corner gets beat off the line and we are blitzing that is a big time gain for the offense. It's not a bend but don't break, its designed for big time plays on the defensive side of the ball.

Just be patient, there are a ton of new guys in the secondary right now. Matter of fact henry and hamlin are the only two I would expect to be at 100 percent.

khiladi

Reaction score
stealth;2305147 said:
The pass rush is supposed to make the 10 yard cushions effective, in a man to man scheme if the corner gets beat off the line and we are blitzing that is a big time gain for the offense. It's not a bend but don't break, its designed for big time plays on the defensive side of the ball.

Just be patient, there are a ton of new guys in the secondary right now. Matter of fact henry and hamlin are the only two I would expect to be at 100 percent.

The people that have been giving up plays are people like Henry and Newman, not a ton of new guys. Jason Campbell got sacked twice in the first quarter when the Commanders were running longer routes. All they did was shorten the routes because of our CBs playing off, and they started long drives.

We have also been giving up the deep play, with this soft-zone, so to argue we would give up more, in press man-to-man coverage, doesn't hold. None of those long pass plays occurred in press coverage. Our man-to-man has essentially been the same thing as soft-zone.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;2305163 said:
The people that have been giving up plays are people like Henry and Newman, not a ton of new guys. Jason Campbell got sacked twice in the first quarter when the Commanders were running longer routes. All they did was shorten the routes because of our CBs playing off, and they started long drives.

We have also been giving up the deep play, with this soft-zone, so to argue we would give up more, in press man-to-man coverage, doesn't hold. None of those long pass plays occurred in press coverage. Our man-to-man has essentially been the same thing as soft-zone.

newman is hurt, whether he knows the scheme or not he isn't 100 percent. And Watkins should have known to switch with newman on that touchdown pass to thrash so I don't hold that on solely on newman, even though him falling is ultimately what caused it.

We all know what henry is, a good corner with good instincts but lacks some speed.

I stand by my statement.

khiladi

Reaction score
stealth;2305180 said:
newman is hurt, whether he knows the scheme or not he isn't 100 percent. And Watkins should have known to switch with newman on that touchdown pass to thrash so I don't hold that on solely on newman, even though him falling is ultimately what caused it.

We all know what henry is, a good corner with good instincts but lacks some speed.

I stand by my statement.

Newman hasn't gotten burned in Philly, Green Bay and Cleveland, despite not being 100 percent. Newman was quite healthy against the Commanders last year, and Campbell still moved the ball on us. It is our scheme.

Watkins blundered once in the red-zone. The fact is, the Commanders got to the red-zone with ease, and their was nothing in the whole tenor of the game to assume they wouldn't have scored if Watkins picked up Thrash on that play or the next. I believe they scored on the first-down.

Hell, even the plays where the Redskisn got field-goals, it was because of some lame penalties by that Commanders OL, which in no way really affected the play.

Our scheme essentially concedes the short pass to opposing teams. WHo cares if you shut down the run, when the short-passes your allowing by scheme is essentially the same thing as a long run.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;2305190 said:
Newman hasn't gotten burned in Philly, Green Bay and Cleveland, despite not being 100 percent. Newman was quite healthy against the Commanders last year, and Campbell still moved the ball on us. It is our scheme.

Watkins blundered once in the red-zone. The fact is, the Commanders got to the red-zone with ease, and their was nothing in the whole tenor of the game to assume they wouldn't have scored if Watkins picked up Thrash on that play or the next. I believe they scored on the first-down.

Hell, even the plays where the Redskisn got field-goals, it was because of some lame penalties by that Commanders OL, which in no way really affected the play.

Our scheme essentially concedes the short pass to opposing teams. WHo cares if you shut down the run, when the short-passes your allowing by scheme is essentially the same thing as a long run.

You say concede the short pass, I say designed for the DBs to break on the ball.

we are just going around in circles

we are banged up, newman hasn't played a whole lot this year yet. There is zero reason to assume it is all about the scheme, everything points to players.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I think a huge part of this is the fact that we play so far off, and so much zone, that we're just not allowing ourselves to make a lot of plays on the ball.

The pass rush is also another area because it's either getting there, and getting the sack, or they're not getting there, or getting there and missing the sack, but the pressure isn't forcing QBs into just throwing them up, or throwing mistakes into the zone where we can pick them off.

Outside of the two Jones had hit him in the hands, the Cleveland route that he jumped but dropped the ball, and the high throw from Rodgers, that hit him in the hands, I don't know that I even recall another pick getting near a defenders hands.

I know someone mentioned Hamlin but I thought that was in a preseason game.

links18

Reaction score
Because our defense just sucks....... Seriously, it is real hard to pick off the ball when you play 10-15 yards off the line of scrimmage. There is always the chance for a tipped-ball pick or whatever, but we are not going to make many plays on the ball playing that far off.

superpunk

Reaction score
stealth;2305196 said:
You say concede the short pass, I say designed for the DBs to break on the ball.

we are just going around in circles

we are banged up, newman hasn't played a whole lot this year yet. There is zero reason to assume it is all about the scheme, everything points to players.
I absolutely think "concede the short pass" is an accurate description. Look at the way Henry was playing against Moss last week. TBH, it's kind of ridiculous to have him on Moss in the first place, but unavoidable I suppose in some instances. It's not that he allowed Moss to reach a certain point and then engaged his coverage to play the receiver or the ball. No, he maintained a set cushion on Moss. All Moss had to do was stop and he was wide open.

That appears to be standard operating procedure for our corners.

And if it is set up to jump routes, then we get what Moss did to Newman last week - so not only are we conceding the short pass to allow our corners the chance to make plays, but we're leaving them open to double moves in a big way.

Alot of this could be avoided by simply finishing tackles on QBs in the backfield. Too many yahoos leaving their feet and bouncing off the QB.

Yes, we're 3-1, and yes, we're a fantastic team. But in this one specific area, we're deficient in a big way. It's either the players screwing up, or they're simply doing what they're told in which cases the coaching needs to change. I don't care which it is, but something is clearly wrong.

hutru01

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2305024 said:
Henry and Newman are our best corners.

Unfortunately. :D

Just kidding, Newman is still a decent CB even though he got raped my Moss a couple times last week.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
stealth;2305147 said:

With our coverage, WRs are open as soon as the ball is snapped.

This season, especially in the Philly and Washington and Philly games, the pass rush was often ineffective because the QB literally had someone open immediately. Even when the pass rush did its job and Ellis or Ratliff or Ware got free, Campbell/McNabb has time to throw anyway because they had targets almost immediately. WRs haven't needed time to get through their pattern. We saw the same thing to a lesser degree against Cleveland, though their QB and Braylen Edwards were too pathetic to take advantage.

We can pretend otherwise, but this was a problem last year (Jacques Reeves or no JR). From what we've seen this year and last year from these guys, this is nowhere near a championship D. I don't see how every Cowboy fan isn't skeptical, until they show us otherwise.

Powerdad23

Reaction score
Wade's playing too much zone..the Safeties can't get over to cover the Wideouts fast enough...the safeties are watching the QB to much, instead of coverig deep. When the CB releases the wideout on a fly pattern..the safety is SUPPOSED to be covering the Wideout to the goal line... This is the Defense that has made slow Roy Williams look so bad the last 3 years. Watkins and Hamlin aren't covering any better. Put the CB''s in numbers defense ( Man coverage)..if they continue to get beat like Henry did last year...get rid of them. Plenty of good college CB's that can play man coverage...also need to check Newman's 40 speed. Looks like a 4.6 er to me.