Reaction score
QB - Prescott, Rush
RB - Elliott, Olawale, Weber, Pollard
TE - Jarwin, Witten, Schultz, Gathers
WR - Cooper, Cobb, Gallup, Austin, Hurns, Brown
OT - Smith, Collins, Fleming
C/OG - Frederick, Looney, Martin, Williams, McGovern, Sua

DE - Lawrence, Quinn, Armstrong, Charlton, Crawford
DT - Collins, Hill, Woods, Covington, Wise (or Ross)
LB - Smith, Lee, LVE, Thomas, March-Lillard, Covington
CB - Jones, Awuzie, Lewis, Brown
S - Woods, Heath, Iloka, Frazier, Wilson

K - Maher
P - Jones
LS - JPL

- This kind of matches our initial 53 from 2018 in terms of positional breakdown although we only carried 3 RBs to start 2018 and 7 LBs. But we don't really have 7 LBs on the roster right now and I can't see Pollard being the backup TB solely. So I think they'll carry 4 RBs.

- Also interesting is that I had no place to put the King of Pop and his dad on the 53. But I could either Jackson making a play for a roster spot, specifically Joe Jackson as I think we got a player that had a higher grade on him. Who does he replace though? Charlton? Armstrong?

- This is probably the deepest team we have had in awhile. I still think we have issues at S and Hill (or Wise) has to be a hit at the 3T. Plus TE still looks blah to me and WR could be an issue if Cobb can't find a bit of his old self, but overall, no glaring holes other than S IMO.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
QB - Prescott, Rush

K - Maher
P - Jones
LS - JPL

- This kind of matches our initial 53 from 2018 in terms of positional breakdown although we only carried 3 RBs to start 2018 and 7 LBs. But we don't really have 7 LBs on the roster right now and I can't see Pollard being the backup TB solely. So I think they'll carry 4 RBs.

- Also interesting is that I had no place to put the King of Pop and his dad on the 53. But I could either Jackson making a play for a roster spot, specifically Joe Jackson as I think we got a player that had a higher grade on him. Who does he replace though? Charlton? Armstrong?

- This is probably the deepest team we have had in awhile. I still think we have issues at S and Hill (or Wise) has to be a hit at the 3T. Plus TE still looks blah to me and WR could be an issue if Cobb can't find a bit of his old self, but overall, no glaring holes other than S IMO.
I drop Gathers and add Jackson or Wesley to CB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And it is never to early to do roster projections. Especially as TC starts, to see what players you move around and replace.

Sydla

Reaction score
I drop Gathers and add Jackson or Wesley to CB.

Possibly but what I did was simply use the same positional numbers the team used on their initial 53 in 2018. That initial 53 only had 4 CBs.

But carrying 5 (or 6) is a possibility because in 2017, they actually opened with 6 CBs.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Thanks for posting.

fwiw, I have a really hard time believing that will keep 14 players that are either WR, RB, or TE

And of the WRs, I have a feeling either Cedrick Wilson or one of the rookies will make the 53. Austin is on thin ice...imo. Should be interesting.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think we'll have a receiver unseat Hurns. There's way too much competition there for a guy coming off injury (with a big contract) to win.

Cedrick Wilson
Devin Smith
Noah Brown
Lance Lenoir
Mike Weber

Brown already was on my 53. The rest are just blah. Weber is a TB. I think there's a pretty good chance Hurns makes this team in 2019.

Sydla

Reaction score
Thanks for posting.

fwiw, I have a really hard time believing that will keep 14 players that are either WR, RB, or TE

2017 - their initial 53 man roster had 15 of those guys - WRs (Bryant, Williams, Beasley, Butler, Switzer, Brown), RBs (Elliott, Smith, Smith, McFadden, Morris) and TEs (Witten, Hanna, Swaim, Gathers).

Granted, changes early in the season plays with the mix, so you may eventually be right.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Brown already was on my 53. The rest are just blah. Weber is a TB. I think there's a pretty good chance Hurns makes this team in 2019.

I'm curious about Wilson, especially, but I wouldn't count out Smith if health and the rook doesn't look bad at first glance.

Should be a fun camp at WR.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Mike White? This was a handpicked QB by the OC when he was a QB coach. No additional QBs have been brought in, so White is gonna get plenty reps during rookie camp n OTAs.

Just interested in your thinking on cutting White@sydla

glimmerman

Reaction score
QB - Prescott, Rush

K - Maher
P - Jones
LS - JPL

Other than perhaps a pleasant surprise or a costly injury that list looks about right..

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I bet you White ends up being the backup QB. He's had a year to learn the offense, and Rush just did not look good the last time we saw him. Wouldn't be tough to unseat him.

erod

Reaction score
Rico is gone, and I think Pollard might make Austin irrelevant.

White will supplant Rush.

Sydla

Reaction score
Mike White? This was a handpicked QB by the OC when he was a QB coach. No additional QBs have been brought in, so White is gonna get plenty reps during rookie camp n OTAs.

Just interested in your thinking on cutting White@sydla

I didn't put much thought into it at all as both are just JAGs with limited upside. I don't think it really matters who QB2 is. I just picked the guy who has been here the longest but either could end up at QB2.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think we'll have a receiver unseat Hurns. There's way too much competition there for a guy coming off injury (with a big contract) to win.

Cedrick Wilson
Devin Smith
Noah Brown
Lance Lenoir
Mike Weber
Just pure prediction on my part but I think the Cowboys hold on to Hurns. I don't see any of those guys beating him out of a job here.

One or two of those tight ends will be gone. Either Rico and Schultz or both. I think Sua has a hard time making the team as well.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Rico is gone, and I think Pollard might make Austin irrelevant.

White will supplant Rush.
May be eventually but Austin still has elite speed. Fastest receiver in that receiving core. Nobody can run the jet sweep better than him.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
Mike White and Dak will be the only 2 QBs. Tavon is a beast when he plays but he and Sean Lee must share the same DNA for hamstrings. I don't think either one can make it through the season.The HOFer Gathers is gone as well. Allen Hurns will not make the team. Who is slower between he and Witten? The both look constipated when they run.

Dallas will carry 9 D-linemen in lieu of a 3rd QB. Look for Dallas to add a few veterans as well. Frederick will be a coin-flip as of mow. I have read he has made progress and wants to start camp but is not at 100% yet. His health is more important than the game. I wish him well. I would not be surprised if a quality veteran like SUH or Berry is signed before camp.

Last edited: