CFZ Why optimistic “best case scenario” thinking is not good for a front office

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO, the Cowboys have had a pretty good off-season so far, especially compared to other recent years where we were way too passive. But despite a good pre-draft period followed by what I think will be a decent draft, this roster is far from being ready to start the season. Sizeable holes remain in the roster at OL, RB and K.

I still have a concern about the Front Office big wigs holding onto a “best case scenario” approach to the roster instead of preparing for a worst case. Jerry has often spoken as if being optimistic is the only way he can see his team. The best GMs in this league don’t look at their current roster and think, “We’re set” or fall into “best case scenario thinking”. They are prepared for the worst.

The Jones boys in recent past have had a bad habit of falling in love with their roster too early instead of looking at it with a wary eye and saying, “We need more depth”. My hope is the roster is a long way from set for TC
. Being optimistic in real life is great. Being optimistic as an NFL GM looking at his roster is malpractice. To prepare for a long haul NFL season with a championship as the goal, it requires a guy who thinks, “what happens if…”.

Looking at OL, RB and K, it’s clear more depth is needed. Here’s a look at each position with a wary eye:
  • OL- We have a very strong group of starting OL with Tyler Smith, Zack Martin, and Terrance Steele when he returns. Tyler Biadasz has become an above average C. But problems exist. Tyron Smith is a once great talent who has missed over 40 games the last 5 years, and as much as I love him is completely unreliable. If we pencil Tyler Smith and Tyron at LG and LT, when (not if) Tyron gets hurt, who goes where? Steele probably won’t be ready in Sept. In other words, holes remain. Maybe Matt Waletzko, Asim Richards and Chuma Edoga can be those OL depth guys we need. But that’s best case scenario stuff. IMO We need another veteran G to shore up this group.

• RB- Tony Pollard should be healthy come Sept and I’m genuinely excited about Deuce Vaughn as a Swiss Army knife weapon. Maybe Ronald Jones, Deuce and Malik Davis are enough of a committee to support Pollard. But we can’t leave that to chance. Pollard and Vaughn are similar skill sets. Can Malik Davis be a power runner? Rookie UFA FB Hunter Luepke is intriguing. But we cannot leave all that to best case scenario thinking. More help is needed here. And it can’t be Zeke!

• K- My approach to this position starts with this: ABBM. (Anyone but Brett Maher) Surely his head case melt down last January has soured this FO once and for all on him. This team needs to bring in 3 Ks for TC and have a serious competition. As long as I never have to see the guy who couldn’t make an XP to save his life last Jan, I will be happy.
Here’s hoping the Jones boys don’t fall in love with this roster before it’s really finished.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO, the Cowboys have had a pretty good off-season so far, especially compared to other recent years where we were way too passive. But despite a good pre-draft period followed by what I think will be a decent draft, this roster is far from being ready to start the season. Sizeable holes remain in the roster at OL, RB and K.

I still have a concern about the Front Office big wigs holding onto a “best case scenario” approach to the roster instead of preparing for a worst case. Jerry has often spoken as if being optimistic is the only way he can see his team. The best GMs in this league don’t look at their current roster and think, “We’re set” or fall into “best case scenario thinking”. They are prepared for the worst.

The Jones boys in recent past have had a bad habit of falling in love with their roster too early instead of looking at it with a wary eye and saying, “We need more depth”. My hope is the roster is a long way from set for TC
. Being optimistic in real life is great. Being optimistic as an NFL GM looking at his roster is malpractice. To prepare for a long haul NFL season with a championship as the goal, it requires a guy who thinks, “what happens if…”.

Looking at OL, RB and K, it’s clear more depth is needed. Here’s a look at each position with a wary eye:
  • OL- We have a very strong group of starting OL with Tyler Smith, Zack Martin, and Terrance Steele when he returns. Tyler Biadasz has become an above average C. But problems exist. Tyron Smith is a once great talent who has missed over 40 games the last 5 years, and as much as I love him is completely unreliable. If we pencil Tyler Smith and Tyron at LG and LT, when (not if) Tyron gets hurt, who goes where? Steele probably won’t be ready in Sept. In other words, holes remain. Maybe Matt Waletzko, Asim Richards and Chuma Edoga can be those OL depth guys we need. But that’s best case scenario stuff. IMO We need another veteran G to shore up this group.

• RB- Tony Pollard should be healthy come Sept and I’m genuinely excited about Deuce Vaughn as a Swiss Army knife weapon. Maybe Ronald Jones, Deuce and Malik Davis are enough of a committee to support Pollard. But we can’t leave that to chance. Pollard and Vaughn are similar skill sets. Can Malik Davis be a power runner? Rookie UFA FB Hunter Luepke is intriguing. But we cannot leave all that too best case scenario thinking. More help is needed here. And it can’t be Zeke!

• K- My approach to this position starts with this: ABBM. (Anyone but Brett Maher) Surely his head case melt down last January has soured this FO once and for all on him. This team needs to bring in 3 Ks for TC and have a serious competition. As long as I never have to see the guy who couldn’t make an XP to save his life last Jan, I will be happy.
Here’s hoping the Jones boys don’t fall in love wi this roster before it’s really finished.
Along the lines of adding another offensive lineman, I’m looking into Mekhi Becton and seeing if the Jets would trade him.

I think he’d make a solid option at left or right tackle and potentially left guard. His issue has been health and knee problems.

I’d give Zeke and Maher another shot.

Toro9

Reaction score
OL might actually be okay. I don't expect Peters back but even without him we have five solid OL. If they all stay healthy, we might be good. Kicker is the big one for me. They must have something in their back pocket and it's probably named Brett Maher. I'd like a new guy but we could do worse than Brett.
RB is less of a concern with the signing of Jones and drafting of Vaughn. Malik Davis is nice to have around too. I'm actually okay with this roster as it stands in May.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OL might actually be okay. I don't expect Peters back but even without him we have five solid OL. If they all stay healthy, we might be good. Kicker is the big one for me. They must have something in their back pocket and it's probably named Brett Maher. I'd like a new guy but we could do worse than Brett.
RB is less of a concern with the signing of Jones and drafting of Vaughn. Malik Davis is nice to have around too. I'm actually okay with this roster as it stands in May.
“If they all stay healthy, we might be good.”
As fans, we can say “we might be good”. As an NFL GM, you can’t say that if you’re being thorough in preparation for a great season.

conner01

Reaction score
I think they see chuma as a solid backup at guard or tackle
They think Jones and Davis can spell pollard
I don’t think either is a big reach
I think they will do something at Kicker
Gould is out there and a couple more could become availible
I think after last year there’s no doubt they value the position but want a kicker who can kick off too and that’s not Robbie

rambo2

Reaction score

• RB- Tony Pollard should be healthy come Sept and I’m genuinely excited about Deuce Vaughn as a Swiss Army knife weapon. Maybe Ronald Jones, Deuce and Malik Davis are enough of a committee to support Pollard. But we can’t leave that to chance. Pollard and Vaughn are similar skill sets. Can Malik Davis be a power runner? Rookie UFA FB Hunter Luepke is intriguing. But we cannot leave all that too best case scenario thinking. More help is needed here. And it can’t be Zeke!

Here’s hoping the Jones boys don’t fall in love wi this roster before it’s really finished.
I think that they are in pretty good shape at running back.

morasp

Reaction score
If Tyron does get injured and it's more of a 1-3 game injury rather than the IR type they may roll with Waletzko for a few games. MM said he's ready and who knows Steele was a UDFA. I don't think they're too worried about RB. With six guys to choose from it will probably be a camp battle. Jones averaged 4.76 yards/carry compared to Zeke's 4.01 the last three seasons so he might actually be an upgrade. I still want another WR.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

I agree, especially about the Vanderjagt ... I mean Maher. If I turn on my TV and see Vanderjagt ... I mean Maher as our kicker, I'll scream.

Toro9

Reaction score
As fans, we can say “we might be good”. As an NFL GM, you can’t say that if you’re being thorough in preparation for a great season.
They shouldn't, but they do apparently.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Booger is the eternal optimist, mainly because of ego, and is always going to think he is closer than he is far away.

Pessimists make better GM's because the good ones are always "there is at least one more thing I need to do" oriented.

The owners can afford to be optimists but show me the GM that is, except the one in Dallas.

Preparing for "what can go wrong, will go wrong" is their job. And that is expected for them and no owner wants to know the problem until the solution has been found. That's why they hired a GM.

That "best case scenario" allows those in management to let themselves off the hook. Good managers are never "well, we've done all we can" because there is always at least one more thing that has to be done.

The other issue with Booger is once the season begins, he will only act if the wheels are coming off as they did when they let Bryant go and had to make an in-season trade for Cooper. Sneed, LAR, and Roseman, PHL, looked for those opportunities, they didn't wait for a problem. Upgrading is an around the clock 12 month job.

But the root of the problem with Dallas runs much deeper than that because the Joneses will settle for good enough because good enough gets them what they want, coverage, money and the real prize, that Forbes ranking.

Verdict

Reaction score

I understand this line of thinking and in theory I agree with the “concept”. Many would assume that we are not set at OG and that more help is needed.

If the Cowboys are COUNTING ON anything out of Tyron, I think that is misguided and poor planning. If he is an afterthought that ends up playing well or a lot then it’s a bonus. I think he’s damn near done as a football player.

What we don’t know is how high the Cowboys are on the depth players on the roster. People were crying last year about the Cowboys not having “anything” behind Tyron, and they clearly did in Tyler Smith (rookie). Some might call that dicey but it was a plan and it worked

Kicker, I agree we need a stud kicker. This is a bit of a head scratcher.

RB—It depends on how the team is approaching the year. If they are planning on Ronald Jones doing anything, I see that as an outright fail. I think Deuce will overperform his draft slot. The question is how effective will Pollard be right out of the gate, and when will he round into top form.
I think how you view the contingency plan is based on what you think of Deuce.

rambo2

Reaction score
I understand this line of thinking and in theory I agree with the “concept”. Many would assume that we are not set at OG and that more help is needed.

If the Cowboys are COUNTING ON anything out of Tyron, I think that is misguided and poor planning. If he is an afterthought that ends up playing well or a lot then it’s a bonus. I think he’s damn near done as a football player.

What we don’t know is how high the Cowboys are on the depth players on the roster. People were crying last year about the Cowboys not having “anything” behind Tyron, and they clearly did in Tyler Smith (rookie). Some might call that dicey but it was a plan and it worked

Kicker, I agree we need a stud kicker. This is a bit of a head scratcher.

RB—It depends on how the team is approaching the year. If they are planning on Ronald Jones doing anything, I see that as an outright fail. I think Deuce will overperform his draft slot. The question is how effective will Pollard be right out of the gate, and when will he round into top form.
I think how you view the contingency plan is based on what you think of Deuce.
Why is kicker a head scratcher? They will get a kicker.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Great analysis. But you must never ASSUME Jerry Dumbo GM Jones best case scenarios.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Booger is the eternal optimist, mainly because of ego, and is always going to think he is closer than he is far away.

Pessimists make better GM's because the good ones are always "there is at least one more thing I need to do" oriented.

The owners can afford to be optimists but show me the GM that is, except the one in Dallas.

Preparing for "what can go wrong, will go wrong" is their job. And that is expected for them and no owner wants to know the problem until the solution has been found. That's why they hired a GM.

That "best case scenario" allows those in management to let themselves off the hook. Good managers are never "well, we've done all we can" because there is always at least one more thing that has to be done.

The other issue with Booger is once the season begins, he will only act if the wheels are coming off as they did when they let Bryant go and had to make an in-season trade for Cooper. Sneed, LAR, and Roseman, PHL, looked for those opportunities, they didn't wait for a problem. Upgrading is an around the clock 12 month job.

But the root of the problem with Dallas runs much deeper than that because the Joneses will settle for good enough because good enough gets them what they want, coverage, money and the real prize, that Forbes ranking.
The Jones boys have been the most reactive front office in the league. Wait until there’s a problem, then overreact (like the WR trades of the past) then can‘t seem to learn proactive is always better than reactive. And when you don’t have to win to keep your job, you tend to over-value your own work.

They have had a better off-season than in years past. But they cannot seriously think this roster is ready for TC or worse, ready for the season.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

June 1st cuts are coming. Not certain if this provides the opportunity for an influx of additional talent. But if there are a potential few good men in the ranks of the unemployed that could add depth and teeth to this team. I am all for this. I agree, Jethro and Little Anus don't need to fall in love with their roster.

offensive guard
wide receiver
linebacker
cornerback

There used to be a term here, perhaps brought to Dallas by Jimmy Johnson.

Churning.

It is not too soon to be churning the chaff off this team and improving.

I have been wrong about this team so many time I cannot count. There are a cast of thousands who post now, or have posted in the past, that can verify my claim to an abysmal record of predicting. But, if the Jones' actually do move and solidify a couple of areas on this team, MY OPINION, this could be a special season.

As a side note, don't take this opinion to Vegas. The opinions in this post are not to be assumed in the same zip code as Reality. The site owner or actuality!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score

• RB- Tony Pollard should be healthy come Sept and I’m genuinely excited about Deuce Vaughn as a Swiss Army knife weapon. Maybe Ronald Jones, Deuce and Malik Davis are enough of a committee to support Pollard. But we can’t leave that to chance. Pollard and Vaughn are similar skill sets. Can Malik Davis be a power runner? Rookie UFA FB Hunter Luepke is intriguing. But we cannot leave all that to best case scenario thinking. More help is needed here. And it can’t be Zeke!

Here’s hoping the Jones boys don’t fall in love with this roster before it’s really finished.

I'm not going to read all of the posts, it hurts my brain to go think about what others think about what this team is going to be this coming season.

I got my wish...on defense, one bad mutha(shut your mouth). The offense will be alright, they will score points...
but watch out for this defense is what I'm all about. Cut the head off the snake and you eat.

Lot's of QB's out there better watch the (shut your mouth) out!

shabazz

Reaction score

Here’s hoping the Jones boys don’t fall in love with this roster before it’s really finished.They also utilize this “Best Case“ scenario to the quarterback position as well

To build a team with this talent level and to go with a QB that’s often injured and led the league in interceptions and a backup that would be 3rd string on better teams is criminal.

I don’t see how anything could go wrong……

T-RO

Reaction score
If you think Dallas or any of the 32 teams front offices in the NFL don't deeply consider and work to acquire roster depth...you're just spinning silly. As is this thread. They have a staff of over 20 and consider all manner of contingencies. The issue for Dallas, and for all teams is that's it's simply not possible to acquire all the talent you want.

Frankly your threads have become predictable, tedious and tiresome. It's just one more installment of "Bob Haze tries to show he knows so much more than Cowboys FO"

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I'm not going to read all of the posts, it hurts my brain to go think about what others think about what this team is going to be this coming season.

I got my wish...on defense, one bad mutha(shut your mouth). The offense will be alright, they will score points...
but watch out for this defense is what I'm all about. Cut the head off the snake and you eat.

Lot's of QB's out there better watch the (shut your mouth) out!
No, chum, it is "He's bad mother... (Shut YO mouth"...)