Twitter: Why Richard pushed for Hill over Thornhill

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
which means, say hello to the practice squad young man, and exit Jameil.Showers

Thought he was a PS player from the start. And yes, time for Showers to hit his final shower. :laugh:
That experiment should have ended a few years ago. I get they like his athleticism and they considered him a key part of the scout team to simulate other athletic players. But it was a a few years or more too long. There are other guys just as athletic.

Now he is just a PS progress stopper. :muttley:

Westry much more upside, stash him for a year on the PS.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There you have it in one word.........Woods. This IMO also confirms Woods as our starting FS.

Other Safeties
The other issue is that there were multiple other Safeties on the board when they picked Hill.
  • In the past they've had a DL and DB ranked about evenly, but picked the DL.
  • They thought better chance to get DB on their board in the next round than DL.
  • They would have drafted Safety Will Harris at #90 if he was available but he got picked at #81.

SS vs FS
  • Thornhill their highest rated Safety at #58 but not really a SS.
  • They really wanted Abrams but he was picked in the 1st.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we really had no choice but go interior dline,especially when you examine how we was exposed in the playoffs. Hill made sense at 58. Thornhill was risk reward more. THAT SAID, we really should have addressed the safety position in round 3 or 4. I never will understand our thinking at safety given the last 20 years of ignoring it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thought he was a PS player from the start. And yes, time for Showers to hit his final shower. :laugh:
That experiment should have ended a few years ago. I get they like his athleticism and they considered him a key part of the scout team to simulate other athletic players. But it was a a few years or more too long. There are other guys just as athletic.

Teams use some Practice Squad for Practice Purposes.

They're not protected. No certainty upside players not poached.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
That confirms that the Boys had Thornhill over Adderley and Rapp which is worrisome

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I don’t think there’s a such thing as a ps progress stopper lol.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teams use some Practice Squad for Practice Purposes.

They're not protected. No certainty upside players not poached.

Yes I know what the PS is for and that they are not protected.
However, fans overrate their own teams players. I do it as well. But how often to PS really get poached, and how often do those player go on the be a big difference maker. For all teams.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yes I know what the PS is for and that they are not protected.
However, fans overrate their own teams players. I do it as well. But how often to PS really get poached, and how often do those player go on the be a big difference maker. For all teams.
Yeah it truly is. Like every team loves their practice squad like we do lol. We are in fear of someone taking them off our team....chances are it won’t happen unless it’s a high round draft pick.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Why is it worrisome? IF their scouts had them higher than what if their scouts are right?
Because I don't believe they are.

They could be right, but other scouts also saw it way differently.

That makes it worrisome for me, while it won't bother others.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Because I don't believe they are.

They could be right, but other scouts also saw it way differently.

That makes it worrisome for me, while it won't bother others.
That’s the NFL though. Teams have guys on their board differently. What you see as a scout another team sees different. Especially when you factor in the extensive research. No one wants to take Jaylon Smith as high as they did or Fredericks but they clearly saw something no one else did. We are talking about second round picks not top 10.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Other Safeties
The other issue is that there were multiple other Safeties on the board when they picked Hill.
  • In the past they've had a DL and DB ranked about evenly, but picked the DL.
  • They thought better chance to get DB on their board in the next round than DL.
  • They would have drafted Safety Will Harris at #90 if he was available but he got picked at #81.

SS vs FS
  • Thornhill their highest rated Safety at #58 but not really a SS.
  • They really wanted Abrams but he was picked in the 1st.
You realize that SS/FS is all nonsense nowadays. If you play safety you need to be able to cover. You can't just be a downhill run support player anymore. Thornhill would have been fine at SS. Couldn't have been worse than Jeff heath against the run last season

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That confirms that the Boys had Thornhill over Adderley and Rapp which is worrisome

Why is that worrisome? Thornhill had about the same draft rating as Adderly and Rapp, and they were all drafted at the same point in the draft (late 2nd round). There really is no reason to say any of the 3 were clearly and indisputably above or below the others.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
That’s the NFL though. Teams have guys on their board differently. What you see as a scout another team sees different. Especially when you factor in the extensive research. No one wants to take Jaylon Smith as high as they did or Fredericks but they clearly saw something no one else did. We are talking about second round picks not top 10.

I and everyone understands this.

As of now, this is worrisome for me.

ESisback

Reaction score

If he’s good, he’ll probably get poached.