Twitter: Why Richard pushed for Hill over Thornhill

slick325

Reaction score
I like X. Woods...liked his nose for the ball coming out of school and was happy with the pick. Would have loved to see him with Earl Thomas as the starting safeties. Woods would have learned exponentially playing and practicing with Thomas.

Now...I just hope his development continues and turnovers starting coming. The safety spot next to him is another story.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You realize that SS/FS is all nonsense nowadays. If you play safety you need to be able to cover. You can't just be a downhill run support player anymore. Thornhill would have been fine at SS. Couldn't have been worse than Jeff heath against the run last season

Before the draft I said Thornhill could play SS to some extent.

I posted a long rebuttal to the OP in the thread below (see link) who said Thornhill was a terrible tackler and could not play SS.

My rebuttal is on the 2nd page of the thread:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/juan-thornhill-do-not-want.432140/

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
That confirms that the Boys had Thornhill over Adderley and Rapp which is worrisome

I liked all three. Thornhill would have been their choice since Adderley played at a small school and Rapp had an injury concern (I think it was a knee, could be wrong).

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
It shouldn’t. Every team passed up on them at least once lol. Some did it two or three times. Everyone had them around the same. Solid prospects but not first rounders.

Whether a team passed on a player in this discussion(they passed on all but 32 players lol) has no bearing what so ever. I worries me they valued Thornhill over the other two considering my grading of the three players.

And yes, some scouts did have Adderly as a 1st rounder and Rapp before his undisclosed injury.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Whether a team passed on a player in this discussion(they passed on all but 32 players lol) has no bearing what so ever. I worries me they valued Thornhill over the other two considering my grading of the three players.

And yes, some scouts did have Adderly as a 1st rounder and Rapp before his undisclosed injury.
See I guess this is what it comes down to. You are worried because you valued players the Cowboys didn’t?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
See I guess this is what it comes down to. You are worried because you valued players the Cowboys didn’t?

Yes. Just like I didn't like how they valued Taco or Switzer, and now Pollard over the available options at their respective positions. And different positions such as Zeke over Ramsey.

They also valued LVE more than I did and that turned out great.

Big_D

Reaction score
Even the DB coach understood we needed that big guy on the interior D line. I like the Hill pick, it's been a long time coming and he should add a tremendous boost to the D.

HoplessCowboysFan36

Reaction score
If we can get even some penetration in middle of the line on a consistent bases I think it immediately gets us 15 more sacks this year. Not to mention the mistakes it will create. Want to beat the best QBs? Put pressure in their face from the middle.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
"Why Richard pushed for Hill over Thornhill"

maybe he remembered what the Rams did to our DTs on the ground
While I appreciate this... Hill was mostly a blindly penetrating DT after the backfield than a guy that looked to stuff the run.
He's a 3T when the team needs a stout 1T for those runs.

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree. This game is won up front so I don't mind that we passed on Thornhill. But I was hoping the Cowboys drafted WR D.K. Metcalf after he fell all the way to us.

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For a while there I was juiced about Irving, but that took a weird left turn. I'm still miffed that we didn't grab Maurice Hurst last year instead of Switzer. T. Hill is a DT so I'm happy and not too worried about why we did it.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
For a while there I was juiced about Irving, but that took a weird left turn. I'm still miffed that we didn't grab Maurice Hurst last year instead of Switzer. T. Hill is a DT so I'm happy and not too worried about why we did it.
Switzer was 2017. Last year they took the TE Schultz. I wanted Hurst as well.