Why should Garrett be kept in a championship season?

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I my eyes you keep coaches that have their hands on things. You keep the BB and McVeys, you dont keep the Garrett's who stand on the sideline, clap and make absolutely zero impact on a season.

Why should Garrett stay if the coordinators and players were the real reason of any success? That is like taking credit for someone elses work.

Once the owner tells you to just stand there, put your hands on nothing, and become a motivational puppet, you are a complete joke now.

I will never consider Garrett a SB winning coach even if it does happen. I am not naive enough to believe he would win anywhere else if such a situation acurred.

How do most fans not consider Barry Switzer a SB winning coach but would consider Garrett one!

""In such a situation""

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I my eyes you keep coaches that have their hands on things. You keep the BB and McVeys, you dont keep the Garrett's who stand on the sideline, clap and make absolutely zero impact on a season.

Why should Garrett stay if the coordinators and players were the real reason of any success? That is like taking credit for someone elses work.

Once the owner tells you to just stand there, put your hands on nothing, and become a motivational puppet, you are a complete joke now.

I will never consider Garrett a SB winning coach even if it does happen. I am not naive enough to believe he would win anywhere else if such a situation acurred.

How do most fans not consider Barry Switzer a SB winning coach but would consider Garrett one!

""In such a situation""

Maybe you answered your own question. Fans are the ones claiming he does nothing could it be fan perception is wrong?

I see even if he takes this team to the SB and wins he still gets no credit at least from you?

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
This is sweet. Garrett should be gassed if the team doesn’t perform, presumably because it’s the HC’s job to get his team to perform to the best of its abilities. But he also should be gassed if the team wins a championship because he’ll have had nothing to do with it?

Have I sufficiently exposed the incoherence in your line of thought or would you like it spelled out further?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So what do you think of Jimmy Johnson then. He let the coaches coach. He was the motivator on the sidelines.

Switzer, same thing, so he and Garrett do not, or should not deserve credit, but Jimmy does?

Note: I am not a Garrett fan before anyone claims that is being a homer.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
get

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Jerry made somewhat of a statement by not extending Garret. If the team doesn't improve, it is likely his last year as a head coach........anywhere.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
This is sweet. Garrett should be gassed if the team doesn’t perform, presumably because it’s the HC’s job to get his team to perform to the best of its abilities. But he also should be gassed if the team wins a championship because he’ll have had nothing to do with it?

Have I sufficiently exposed the incoherence in your line of thought or would you like it spelled out further?

I think what he is trying to say is that Garrett is the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. At least at one point that meant something. In 9 years he has managed 2 playoff wins. This despite decent QB play throughout his tenure. He was given the role because he was presented as an offensive innovator or genius. In the 9 years plus his time as OC that was proven to be a myth. Fans have also heard of a process that is underway. 9 years of the process has yielded 2 playoff wins. When you see what McVey has done in a couple seasons and Doug Pederson winning a SB, intelligent fans in Dallas question Garrett. We also see a roster that has the following players that play at an all-pro level - Prescott, Zeke, Beard, Smith, Martin, Cooper, LVE, Smith, Lawrence, Jones, Lee. That's a lot of talent. Yet the playoff success is still in question. Intelligent fans also see the head coach routinely cost the team games with poor adjustments, time management, and play calls. The end of Romo's career was ruined by his game mismanagement. They also see that a 30 year old, inexperienced play caller will be running the offense because the "genius" offensive head coach has been proven to be anything but. Intelligent fans also remember a complete disaster of a 4-12 season where the head coach showed zero ability to adapt. Personally, I believe anything short of the Super Bowl should cost Garrett his job. He has run out of excuses.

Have I sufficiently responded to your comments or would you like that I spell it out further?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

""In such a situation""

:facepalm:

You have no idea what Garrett does and doesn't do, and do you really need to be told the difference between him and Switzer?

I'd swear you're trolling with this one.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The current era has been pretty good, so I'm eager to see how this season plays out.
Many coaching improvements as well as drafting. 2 division titles in 3 years to build on this coming season.
We know he is at least starting the season as HC, so all the nonsense about him not having hands on things is just BS.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
JG is a lame duck HC. Jerry wants Sean Payton and it's going to happen.

A year ago some folks were every bit as adamant about Earl Thomas being in Dallas now, but JG not being extended suggests the pressure is on him this season.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I think what he is trying to say is that Garrett is the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. At least at one point that meant something. In 9 years he has managed 2 playoff wins. This despite decent QB play throughout his tenure. He was given the role because he was presented as an offensive innovator or genius. In the 9 years plus his time as OC that was proven to be a myth. Fans have also heard of a process that is underway. 9 years of the process has yielded 2 playoff wins. When you see what McVey has done in a couple seasons and Doug Pederson winning a SB, intelligent fans in Dallas question Garrett. We also see a roster that has the following players that play at an all-pro level - Prescott, Zeke, Beard, Smith, Martin, Cooper, LVE, Smith, Lawrence, Jones, Lee. That's a lot of talent. Yet the playoff success is still in question. Intelligent fans also see the head coach routinely cost the team games with poor adjustments, time management, and play calls. The end of Romo's career was ruined by his game mismanagement. They also see that a 30 year old, inexperienced play caller will be running the offense because the "genius" offensive head coach has been proven to be anything but. Intelligent fans also remember a complete disaster of a 4-12 season where the head coach showed zero ability to adapt. Personally, I believe anything short of the Super Bowl should cost Garrett his job. He has run out of excuses.

Have I sufficiently responded to your comments or would you like that I spell it out further?

You’ve given a number of reasons to suggest that Garrett has underperformed. I agree with most of them. There are some points I’d quibble with but they’re a distraction here.

What does any of that have to do with the OP’s contention that Garrett should be gassed even if the team wins the Super Bowl? Or with the incoherence I pointed out? If your reason for gassing him is non-performance because his job is to ensure optimal performance what justifies your gassing him when he delivers optimal performance?

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I don't think anyone is making excuses for Garrett. If this team fails he should be sent packing on the other hand to say if he can get this team to a championship and win it he should get no credit for it and should still be fired is a bit much. The notion he does nothing but clap I think is a joke, Jerry and Stephen are not keeping Garrett is he does nothing to benefit this team. He was not extended then again he was not extended heading into 2014 either

Whyjerry

Reaction score
You’ve given a number of reasons to suggest that Garrett has underperformed. I agree with most of them. There are some points I’d quibble with but they’re a distraction here.

What does any of that have to do with the OP’s contention that Garrett should be gassed even if the team wins the Super Bowl? Or with the incoherence I pointed out? If your reason for gassing him is non-performance because his job is to ensure optimal performance what justifies your gassing him when he delivers optimal performance?

In 9 years has Garrett provided anything close to "optimal performance". Has there been any evidence that he is even capable of "optimal performance"? As of the OP - he is frustrated. Rightly so. We can't all exist on the optimal plane which you seem pretty confident you exist on.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Whoa, whoa...

Those t-shirt slogans and field trips have a huge impact on the season.