Why should Garrett be kept in a championship season?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
My thing is this, would you feel comfortable keeping Garrett after a SB win if we lost both moore and Richard?

You cant tell my Jerry would actually go for that? Regardless of what fans think, I believe there are teams this naive to pull a move as such whether HC experience or non.

In such a situation there is no way Jerry doesnt can Garrett to promote either or.

Jerry would be too busy patting himself on the back for being patient with "his Tom Landry" to even consider firing Garrett under those circumstances. He'd just hire new coordinators.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
We’re talking about the same McVey who coached his team to 3 points in the super bowl right? Would ya’ll have given up on him right then and there? Or would have been the next time he gets wrecked in the playoffs? Meh

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Here locally he’s been embraced for more than the results which we all wish were better. It’s about dealing with the reality of our dysfunctional organization.

Obviously Jerry isn’t as focused on a results oriented industry since he has risen further without that success on the field.

The NFL is not a result oriented industry anymore as some of the wealthiest and highest revenue generating franchises are not as successful on the field. We have Jerry to thank for his revolutionary contributions which had turned the NFL into more than a professional football league becomIng the greatest Sports Entertainment entity in the world. Winning just makes it more fun for fans.

The difference is that you seem to think Garrett's lack of results, especially in the playoffs, is due to the organizational structure of this team and Garrett is doing just about as good a job as anybody could under these circumstances.

As I am sure you are fully aware, a very, very large majority of fans on this site disagree with you and feel that Jason Garrett is part of the problem, not just a victim of circumstance. It is his lack of coaching ability, especially on game day, that has contributed to the poor results.

So who is correct? Is Garrett a victim of circumstance or has he actively contributed to his own poor record in the playoffs? At this point it doesn't matter. The bottom line is that Garrett is coaching this year for his job. If this season is a disappointment, the fans will want Garrett's head on a pike outside the stadium and Jerry for the first time, although reluctantly, seems willing to give the masses what they want.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Here locally he’s been embraced for more than the results which we all wish were better. It’s about dealing with the reality of our dysfunctional organization.

Obviously Jerry isn’t as focused on a results oriented industry since he has risen further without that success on the field.

The NFL is not a result oriented industry anymore as some of the wealthiest and highest revenue generating franchises are not as successful on the field. We have Jerry to thank for his revolutionary contributions which had turned the NFL into more than a professional football league becomIng the greatest Sports Entertainment entity in the world. Winning just makes it more fun for fans.

Then why is Jerry going around telling the fans that this years team will be better than last year, i.e. go deeper into the playoffs?

Jerry is intentionally raising the bar and raising expectations of the fan base by saying this.

If that doesn't happen, who do you think will get the blunt of the anger from the fan base? Here is a hint, his initials are J.G. and his contract is expiring. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The difference is that you seem to think Garrett's lack of results, especially in the playoffs, is due to the organizational structure of this team and Garrett is doing just about as good a job as anybody could under these circumstances.

As I am sure you are fully aware, a very, very large majority of fans on this site disagree with you and feel that Jason Garrett is part of the problem, not just a victim of circumstance. It is his lack of coaching ability, especially on game day, that has contributed to the poor results.

So who is correct? Is Garrett a victim of circumstance or has he actively contributed to his own poor record in the playoffs? At this point it doesn't matter. The bottom line is that Garrett is coaching this year for his job. If this season is a disappointment, the fans will want Garrett's head on a pike outside the stadium and Jerry for the first time, although reluctantly, seems willing to give the masses what they want.
Garrett being our HC is due to the dysfunctional organization. The entire process is ********. Lol

My support of Garrett revolves around the dysfunction of Jerry not his coaching ability.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Then why is Jerry going around telling the fans that this years team will be better than last year, i.e. go deeper into the playoffs?

Jerry is intentionally raising the bar and raising expectations of the fan base by saying this.

If that doesn't happen, who do you think will get the blunt of the anger from the fan base? Here is a hint, his initials are J.G. and his contract is expiring. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.
I’ve already responded to this. Jerry is simply promoting his product. No news here.

I’m all for firing Garrett if we’re bringing in a proven HC and let him run the show. If not, then good luck to the next puppet.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I’ve already responded to this. Jerry is simply promoting his product. No news here.

I’m all for firing Garrett if we’re bringing in a proven HC and let him run the show. If not, then good luck to the next puppet.

I know its a long shot, but I would love for Sean Payton to have a couple of seasons with this roster. Yeah, I know its never going to happen.

This has been a good discussion my friend, thanks for your replies...………..time for me to sign off and take care of "daddy duties". My little girl wants to go to the park. Take care my friend.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I know its a long shot, but I would love for Sean Payton to have a couple of seasons with this roster. Yeah, I know its never going to happen.

This has been a good discussion my friend, thanks for your replies...………..time for me to sign off and take care of "daddy duties". My little girl wants to go to the park. Take care my friend.
There’s several great HC out here I’d love to have. But I don’t see that as a reality unfortunately.

I’m about solutions within the parameters Jerry will allow. A great HC just isn’t one of those solutions IMO. And why I focus more on Plan B, C, etc.

Londonboy

Reaction score

I hope Y'all are taking note, it's entirely possible to have a spirited discussion with opposing viewpoints, without it turning into bitterness and acrimonious name calling.
Kudos to You and Greg.

romonumberone

Reaction score
Championship season??? I will be surprised if they make the playoffs 2 years in a row. The schedule is brutal. They won a lot of close games last year. The NFC East will be better this year. Witten makes no difference. Comparatively speaking last year they were incredibly injury free. Usually they are not so lucky.

The Commanders I believe started out 6-2 last year before they were decimated by injuries.... actually they had some injuries even before that. The Giants suck at drafting but do not forget if it was not for a miracle catch by Cole Beasley than Dallas loses at New York last year..... Barkley is a beast. We are not sweeping the Eagles this year. Dallas drafted no players this year that will start in their rookie year. I do like The 3rd round pick though.

romonumberone

Reaction score
Garrett does some dumb things. But he also does a lot of good things. The players love him. The players play hard for him. He seems to run a good locker room. And he seems to have a hand in player acquisition which that has been mostly good.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
The marvin Lewis situation made me want to jump off of a bridge and I wasnt even a fan of the Bengals. It's to a point where I'm not a Garrett fan but even I wouldnt put garrett ahead of Lewis at this point.

But Garrett is definitely closing in.
That's basically how I feel every time I see Roberto Orci...

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
For me it would be because Switzer walked into a team that was loaded and ready to go because someone else built it up from scratch, while Garrett has completely re-made the roster from an old, over priced team to one of the youngest, most talented units in the league.

When Garrett first got the job he said he wanted a tough, physical team that played smashmouth football and then he went out and methodically re-made the roster into just that. He had a vision for what he wanted the team to be and what type of players he wanted brought in to Dallas.

There is no doubt that Garrett has made his mistakes in game day coaching, and has been learning on the job, and I get why fans say an NFL team should never have a coach learning as he goes. However, Garrett has indeed done a lot of learning along the way and I tend to break his tenure down into two parts: 2011-2013 and 2014-present.

2011-2013 was when he did his major learning on the job and was figuring out what he was doing while he rebuilt the team into what he wanted. He went 8-8 in every one of these seasons and some coaching mistakes actually kept the team out of the playoffs, IMO, at least one of those seasons.

2014 forward, he had pretty much changed the team over and had it playing the way he wanted. In this period we all got a pretty good look at what the team is under Garrett’s leadership. A young, well built roster that is pretty much a playoff contender and has yet to prove it can get to the conference championship. The records in this period are better than the on the job learning period and were: 12-4, 4-12, 13-3, 9-7, and 10-6.

In that period, Dallas has won 3 NFC East title, two wildcard playoff games, and lost in the divisional round all three of those years. That includes replacing the QB and continuing to re-make the roster into one of the youngest in the NFL. It also includes the second most regular season wins since changing over to the new QB.

So, IMO, Garrett has become a better coach and helped make the team into a more talented group. That’s why you won’t hear me say 2 playoff wins in 8 years as a head coach (although that is technically correct). I think he’s a different coach than he was early on. The last few years point to Dallas being a constant contender under his leadership. In short, under Garrett, Dallas has been a team that matters in the playoff conversation pretty much since 2014.

Now Garrett hasn’t been making in-game adjustments like I’d like to see and sometimes the game-plans leave something to be desired, so I understand the group that wants to have him replaced. I get frustrated as well sometimes.

However, it terrifies me what Jerry might do in hiring his replacement. Jason does a lot of good for the franchise in team building and keeping the team engaged, and frankly, I worry about losing that part of his influence.

For me, I think it boils down to the fact that I see Garrett learning from his mistakes and growing every year. It isn’t like the team is terrible and we’re trying to gut it out. Dallas is one of the conference favorites year-in and year-out and has one of the better young teams in the league. I do think Garrett might get over the hump very soon.

If he doesn’t, then fine, get a new coach... but if he finally has gotten to the point where he wins a championship? You absolutely keep him and enjoy the fruits of our patience in him learning as he went. It would be lunacy to let him go after winning the super bowl.
:thumbup: great post ,Bro!:starspin:

* ya, as I've likewise hit the delete button of the 2015 season from my memory banks,Too!;)

JayFord

Reaction score
I’ve said it before

Unless Garrett gets this team to a Super Bowl he should be fired

That includes if we’re eliminated from the playoffs in week 10......

He’s been given too many chances

Melonfeud

Reaction score
I don't agree with the OP but your loyalty to JG is disturbing at times. 2 playoff wins in 8 years is on the coaching. It's not all on coaching, but at some point, even you, have to realize that 2 play-off wins in 8 years is at least partly to do with coaching .
Well, one never really knows just who's who on an internet forum
( Jason Garrett is one of seven male Garrett children,,, er,,,along with him having seven female siblings as well,,,SHEESE! ever since I learned that,I still suffer with great difficulty in my limited ability in wrapping my head around that,,,maybe idgit is a full blooded CLAN of GARRETT member ?
{:lmao: that tribe would prolly tangle with the whole trailer park as kids growing up,Too!o_O}

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

tell me one off season that Jerry hasn't said we are better and expect more? he is freaking salesman.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Well, one never really knows just who's who on an internet forum
( Jason Garrett is one of seven male Garrett children,,, er,,,along with him having seven female siblings as well,,,SHEESE! ever since I learned that,I still suffer with great difficulty in my limited ability in wrapping my head around that,,,maybe idgit is a full blooded CLAN of GARRETT member ?
{:lmao: that tribe would prolly tangle with the whole trailer park as kids growing up,Too!o_O}
They're both Ginger, I think You might be on to something, do You think Idgit could stand for "I'm Dave, Garrett's identical twin"?

Melonfeud

Reaction score
They're both Ginger, I think You might be on to something, do You think Idgit could stand for "I'm Dave, Garrett's identical twin"?
:lmao: HILARIOUS:lmao:
I MEAN,,LIKE THAT'S SERIOUSLY HILARIOUS:lmao::thumbup::lmao:

* Man,there was a set of twin redheaded& freckled faced brothers(Ricky&Randy) a year ahead of me in high school , who could be heathen demon hellspawned mean, & they were both hard sharp knuckled fierce fistfighters Too,man! But, they had about the most hilarious sense of humor you'd about ever come across,,,up to an annoying point,I got along good with them cuz' they knew they might be in trouble(one at time, if I could grapple up,as I'd wrestled since 6th grade, they'd both went out for the " team" at one time& the competition was a bit to much for them in my weight A.O.)