Why the absence of a running game matters

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s still very early in the 2024 NFL season but it is interesting that many of the teams off to a good start have excellent running games. And also interesting that teams with a balanced attack on offense - being able to pass AND run have the best chances in the playoffs.

Currently the top 6 teams at running the ball are:
  1. Packers (612 yards, 204 yards per game, 5.5 ypc)
  2. Ravens (610 yards, 203 ypg, 5.9 ypc)
  3. Eagles (502 yards, 167 ypg, 5.0 ypc)
  4. Lions (489 yards, 163 ypg, 4.8 ypc)
  5. Commanders (461 yards, 154 ypg, 4.8 ypc)
  6. Saints (459 yards, 153 ypg, 4.4 ypc)
Cowboys are 23rd running the ball, have 301 yards (before the giants game), avg 100 yds, and 3.5 ypc. Frankly, I’m surprised it’s even this much.

The reason I’m even bringing this up is simple - teams that can run the ball have an opportunity to open up other aspects of the offense. This league is a passing league, most defenses are built to stop the pass, so if you have a good running game, you have a much better chance to keep defenses honest. And in the playoffs where defenses are capable of taking something away from the offense, it’s important to have multiple options on offense.

Our next opponent, Pittsburg is a good running team but they are also are even better at stopping the run. Their QB Justin Fields is not a particularly good passer but he can run.

The running game for Dallas as it stands today is the biggest weakness this ream has unless stopping the run exceeds it. By playing their safeties super deep against us, defenses are choosing to take away much of the passing game options. And our WR lineup with the exception of Lamb is certainly mediocre.

Until we can give DCs something to be concerned about in the running game, I don’t see our offense being any better than mediocre. If someone can convince me otherwise, please do.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Many of us predicted how this was going to go, and so far it has gone exactly as called. Malpractice at the GM level is directly hampering the season when there were many easy fixes for cheap during the off season. Just unbelievable that this franchise is held back this way.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Many of us predicted how this was going to go, and so far it has gone exactly as called. Malpractice at the GM level is directly hampering the season when there were many easy fixes for cheap during the off season. Just unbelievable that this franchise is held back this way.
I wish our fans would stop believing the absolute falsehood that because of the big contracts doled out to Lamb and Prescott that this team could not afford free agent moves. That’s a lie.

They either chose not to do anything or are so inept at managing the cap they are guilty of cap malfeasance. Maybe both.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hear you loud and clear Bob, a good running game is needed no doubt, but to open up what about this passing offense, a more crisp curl route???
Yeah our slow WRs are not as good running those 1975 era curl routes, lol! Man not only slow developing, easy to cover curl routes and comebacks, does this team even have a crossing route in the playbook?

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s still very early in the 2024 NFL season but it is interesting that many of the teams off to a good start have excellent running games. And also interesting that teams with a balanced attack on offense - being able to pass AND run have the best chances in the playoffs.

Cowboys are 23rd running the ball, have 301 yards (before the giants game), avg 100 yds, and 3.5 ypc. Frankly, I’m surprised it’s even this much.

The reason I’m even bringing this up is simple - teams that can run the ball have an opportunity to open up other aspects of the offense. This league is a passing league, most defenses are built to stop the pass, so if you have a good running game, you have a much better chance to keep defenses honest. And in the playoffs where defenses are capable of taking something away from the offense, it’s important to have multiple options on offense.

Our next opponent, Pittsburg is a good running team but they are also are even better at stopping the run. Their QB Justin Fields is not a particularly good passer but he can run.

The running game for Dallas as it stands today is the biggest weakness this ream has unless stopping the run exceeds it. By playing their safeties super deep against us, defenses are choosing to take away much of the passing game options. And our WR lineup with the exception of Lamb is certainly mediocre.

Until we can give DCs something to be concerned about in the running game, I don’t see our offense being any better than mediocre. If someone can convince me otherwise, please do.
Well done.

The statement "It's a passing league" is actually quite misleading.

Basically, to win a super bowl you have to be able to both run and pass. Takes both. And yes, the short pass can count as a running game in certain situations.

One dimensional O's, whether it be running or passing, just don't win super bowls. Only exceptions are where a QB such as Brady uses the short passing game as a running game.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all knew the run game was going to be mediocre at best. Even with the OL improving as the season goes on.

Though is has been far below mediocre so far.

The team is too stubborn and set in their senile ways to admit it.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah our slow WRs are not as good running those 1975 era curl routes, lol! Man not only slow developing, east cover curl routes and comebacks, does this team even have a crossing route in the playbook?
Maybe after a team meeting where we air out our frustrations is when you'll see this offense magically blossum into a special thing!! It's the same thing every week, nobody is open nothing like a crossing route, or anything to get us a good amount of yards successfully! Oh never mind, flag on the play

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We all knew the run game was going to be mediocre at best. Even with the OL improving as the season goes on.

Though is has been far below mediocre so far.

The team is too stubborn and set in their senile ways to admit it.
we knew it, but it didn't have to be

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah our slow WRs are not as good running those 1975 era curl routes, lol! Man not only slow developing, easy to cover curl routes and comebacks, does this team even have a crossing route in the playbook?
I don't think they used a crossing route for years. Maybe since the days of Dez and TO.

I have noticed they been using the slant more often. Something the rarely done since the Playmaker.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe after a team meeting where we air out our frustrations is when you'll see this offense magically blossum into a special thing!! It's the same thing every week, nobody is open nothing like a crossing route, or anything to get us a good amount of yards successfully! Oh never mind, flag on the play
One reason nobody is open in the passing game is this: the safeties don’t have anything else to worry about besides coverage. They aren’t being asked to help in run support because it’s not needed.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't think they used a crossing route for years. Maybe since the days of Dez and TO.

I have noticed they been using the slant more often. Something the rarely done since the Playmaker.
You attribute that to the Texas Coast offense, where it works some times at some points of the game, other points of the game the pass is thrown behind, and it's not as strong as it was in another part of the game!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One reason nobody is open in the passing game is this: the safeties don’t have anything else to worry about besides coverage. They aren’t being asked to help in run support because it’s not needed.
Focus in haze, SO WHAT are we doing in practice to fix this?????????????????????? Are we just going to make a DC job this easy???

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes, it's huge. In a nutshell, if the other team's front 4 can stop our running game(and they do), that leaves more players in coverage and in the middle of the field. Which makes everything that much harder.

Brax

Reaction score

MM is pass guy who had the luxury of top end QBs. Dak needs a high end RB that some folks say grow on trees and are on the streets. A balanced attack helps any QB and OC but committing to it isn’t a MM philosophy. Jerry is a O minded guy and he believes Dak and CD will carry the load. Bad FO decisions isn’t Daks fault but keeping MM and running it back with a lesser supporting cast isn’t going to change anything, not sure why Cook has been given a chance at this point but expecting Dak to carry the team isn’t happening

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Focus in haze, SO WHAT are we doing in practice to fix this?????????????????????? Are we just going to make a DC job this easy???
:laugh: Apparently so Coogs! Stephen says we couldn’t afford anything else. Meanwhile the best GMs with just as large a cap strap are saying “hold my beer” and leaving us in the dust.

What this team’s top brass could do at this point is somewhat limited. Some of the easy options are to 1. give Dalvin Cook a look-see - not that I think he’s got anything. (He’s been sitting on the practice squad for 4 weeks available for any team to sign and no team has done so - very telling) 2. Make a trade to acquire a RB and/or WR 3. Miraculously add some modern plays to the playbook besides these 30-40 year old passing routes.

Not a lot of good options.

cristglo

Reaction score
Reminds me of the Garrett area

kskboys

Reaction score
MM is pass guy who had the luxury of top end QBs. Dak needs a high end RB that some folks say grow on trees and are on the streets. A balanced attack helps any QB and OC but committing to it isn’t a MM philosophy. Jerry is a O minded guy and he believes Dak and CD will carry the load. Bad FO decisions isn’t Daks fault but keeping MM and running it back with a lesser supporting cast isn’t going to change anything, not sure why Cook has been given a chance at this point but expecting Dak to carry the team isn’t happening
And no matter what you point out to them using logic and facts, they still repeat this nonsense ad nauseum. I mean, they won't quit.