Why the "Dak is elite" narrative is so flawed

Ken

Reaction score
How successful the team was offensively? Our offense wasn't dominating in 2009, we actually had a great defense in the second half of that season and our offense struggled early on. Romo got sacked 34 times. Who was giving up all those pressures?

And Tryon had his best grade since 2015 this year

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-offensive-line-rankings

But I guess we put more stock into "pro-bowls" now over sites that delve into analytics and study games rather than popularity contests.
I don't put any stock into these rankings.

How can we have the #1 offensive line and have 3 players in the top 10 (#1 overall too) in penalties?

Collins managed to get into the top 10 and only started 10 games.

Yea, sure...Ty had his best season since 2015...lol. Played only 11 games and tied for 6th in the league in holding calls.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I don't put any stock into these rankings.

How can we have the #1 offensive line and have 3 players in the top 10 (#1 overall too) in penalties?

Collins managed to get into the top 10 and only started 10 games.

Yea, sure...Ty had his best season since 2015...lol. Played only 11 games and tied for 6th in the league in holding calls.

LOL right, we just go by probowls now to determine how great a player is like that hasn't been a joke. You're right, Jaylon Smith was one of the best linebackers in the league in 2019 and it had nothing to do with his Twitter campaign. Much more validity than professionals who watch game tape and make their metrics public for us to understand. As for penalties, 6 of Smith's 10 penalties were holding - the article specifically talks about average time of blocking for the o-line, they actually put that as a positive. Like expecting a corner to cover a WR for 10 seconds, to expect offensive linemen to block for so long and not cause a penalty is ridiculous. That means there is an issue with the QB not getting the ball out quickly enough at times.

You're so disingenuous and full of it it's not even funny.

Ken

Reaction score
LOL right, we just go by probowls now to determine how great a player is like that hasn't been a joke. You're right, Jaylon Smith was one of the best linebackers in the league in 2019 and it had nothing to do with his Twitter campaign. Much more validity than professionals who watch game tape and make their metrics public for us to understand. As for penalties, 6 of Smith's 10 penalties were holding - the article specifically talks about average time of blocking for the o-line, they actually put that as a positive. Like expecting a corner to cover a WR for 10 seconds, to expect offensive linemen to block for so long and not cause a penalty is ridiculous. That means there is an issue with the QB not getting the ball out quickly enough at times.

You're so disingenuous and full of it it's not even funny.
Really.

So their ridiculous rankings didn't take into account leading the league in penalties as an offensive line?

Ridiculous.

It also didn't take into account that the "#1" ol had Ty play 11 games and Collins 10 games.

Also...holding happens on run plays, not sure you are aware of that or not.

Keep in mind I already stated this line was good enough to win with and is a top 10 OL in the league. They are most definitely not #1 though...case and point why PFF is an absolute joke.

MajesticRey

Reaction score
Dak is in the Top 8. That's elite enough for any team. The only ones who can't handle that truth is you Dak haters. Period.
I agree that he’s better than a lot of other teams’ starters and good enough to win with, but he’s not on the level that guys like Rodgers or Mahomes are. He never will be.

If we have a good OL and run game he can hang with them though.

Section446

Reaction score
Dak never has been and never will be elite... He's an average QB being paid like he's elite, but that's where the "elite" ends with him.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Kellen Moore added to his elite status.:facepalm:
morgan3.png

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Gurode was an inconsistent center and he was not playing well at all in 2009 or 2010. Which is why we were okay with allowing him to go after 2010. He started to have his hiccups in 2007. Adams and Gurode nearly got Romo killed plenty of times in 2009. This is the season you THINK the offensive line was good, it wasn't. It was beginning to fall apart and the age of the players were showing. So I will repeat: from 2009 to 2013 Romo had poor or inconsistent pass protection. You suggested the majority of Romo's career was behind a good offensive line. This is wrong, you are wrong and I want you to admit to it.
You are absolutely correct my friend, thank you for doing your required homework... :D

DFWJC

Reaction score
I have never EVER seen a poster on here say Dak is better than Manning, Brees, Farve, etc. I don't know why people allude to this mysterious mob of completely delusional Dak fans that terrorize this forum. If they exist I've never seen them.

That being said I believe your analysis is otherwise pretty spot on.
Not sure about Manning but there have been a few here say Dak was better than Brees, Brady and Mahomes.
Infact, several said he was way better than Brady before Brady went to the Bucs.
Didnt hear it this year, but the main Culprit was on ignore
:muttley:

DFWJC

Reaction score
If you retire without ever winning the Super Bowl then what does that make you? What's the opposite of wining the Super Bowl?

Marino is a top echelon QB that was more than good enough to lead a Super Bowl winning team, but he didn't, so when it comes to actually winning Super Bowls he is a loser.
That’s ridiculous

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Dak is not elite, because it's a pass happy league. That's a new train of thought. But how about not comparing Dak's stats to league history and just compare them to current NFL QB's today. Wouldn't that be easier?

HotDog37

Reaction score
I actually do not care if Dak is Elite or not. I would like to see the Dallas Cowboys win a Superbowl before 2030 or so. Hire David Carr as a QB coach for Dak to help with accuracy issues since Wonderbread Boy ALL-Galaxy college record setter Moore can't seem to help Dak. Dak is very inaccurate at times (like a really bad H.S QB type bad) and has next to no pocket presence. This would affect him at any level not just the NFL. It's not even a matter of top 10 it's a matter of starting NFL QB material period. It would be nice if Dak could actually just be a reliable bus driver. That's how I see it.

Last edited: