CFZ Why the packers are my original most-hated team

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In 1966, the Dallas Cowboys became the most exciting team in the NFL.

I was only 8 years old but I was thrilled by the first pro sports team I had ever seen in person. I had seen several games with my dad at the Cotton Bowl starting in 1964. But in ‘66 my family had moved away from the D/FW area and I could only watch the Cowboys on my parents black and white TV.

That ‘66 season, Tom Landry’s innovative offense led the league in scoring, passing, total offense, and point differential. QB “Dandy” Don Meredith threw 27 TDs in 14 games, 13 of them to my first sports hero, “Bullet” Bob Hayes. Bullet scored on a 95 yard TD pass that yr which was one of the most exciting plays in Cowboys history. RB Don Perkins was a punishing runner who scored 8 TDs himself.

Landry’s innovative flex defense was a run stuffing machine, holding opponents to only 84 yards a game. These guys became the original “Doomsday Defense”. Sacks were not kept in those days but the Cowboys D behind the great HOFer Bob Lily and pass rush monster Willie Townes would have led the league. Future HOFer Mel Renfro was a great cover corner.

The only thing standing in the way of the Cowboys winning the NFL (this was before the merger) and playing the AFL champ in SB I were the GB packers, the defending champs led by MVP Bart Starr and legendary coach Vince Lombardi.

The championship game was played in Dallas, in the Cotton Bowl on Jan. 1, 1967.

The Cowboys overcame a 14-0 early deficit to tie it in the second qtr. Then trailed again 34-20 in the 4th. But scored to make it 34-27 on a 65 yd bomb from Meredith to TE Frank Clarke with about 5 min left. After forcing a packers punt, the Cowboys got the ball back with a chance to tie with about 3 min left. They drove methodically down the field and had a first and goal inside the ten with less than a minute left.

A false start and a few short gains, the Cowboys faced 4th down at the two yard line with no timeouts and just seconds left. On 4th down Meredith did a rollout to the right but packer LB Dave Robinson was draped all over him and his desperate pass in the end zone was intercepted. I had my first sports cry that day.

The packers went on to SB I two weeks later and beat the chiefs 35-10. We could have won that first SB.

I hated the packers.

Exactly 364 days later, on Dec. 31st, 1967, the Cowboys had their chance at revenge, facing the pack again for the NFL championship, this time in GB. Today, it is famously known as “The Ice Bowl.” At kickoff the temperature was -13 below, with a -30 wind chill.

I won’t go into all the details of that game, but in similar fashion to the prior game the Cowboys had overcome a 14 point deficit to take a17-14 lead with 3 min left on RB Dan Reeves gadget play pass to WR Lance Rentzl. All we had to do was hold them one more time. You know the story. The packers scored with 9 seconds left on a Bart Starr QB sneak. I had an even bigger sports cry that day.

Of course the pack went on to win SB II against the raiders two weeks later 33-14. We should have been there. The Lombardi Trophy could have been called “The Landry Trophy”.

Sports is full of “could have been moments” though, right?

The Green Bay Packers were my original most hated team. As a kid, those packers were the most “hate”I ever felt for an opposing team…well…maybe later it was the deadskins, lol.

This Sunday I’ll remember those old ghosts of the old days with the hope the Cowboys can settle some old scores from the distant past.

rambo2

Reaction score
In 1966, the Dallas Cowboys became the most exciting team in the NFL.

I was only 8 years old but I was thrilled by the first pro sports team I had ever seen in person. I had seen several games with my dad at the Cotton Bowl starting in 1964. But in ‘66 my family had moved away from the D/FW area and I could only watch the Cowboys on my parents black and white TV.

That ‘66 season, Tom Landry’s innovative offense led the league in scoring, passing, total offense, and point differential. QB “Dandy” Don Meredith threw 27 TDs in 14 games, 13 of them to my first sports hero, “Bullet” Bob Hayes. Bullet scored on a 95 yard TD pass that yr which was one of the most exciting plays in Cowboys history. RB Don Perkins was a punishing runner who scored 8 TDs himself.

Landry’s innovative flex defense was a run stuffing machine, holding opponents to only 84 yards a game. These guys became the original “Doomsday Defense”. Sacks were not kept in those days but the Cowboys D behind the great HOFer Bob Lily and pass rush monster Willie Townes would have led the league. Future HOFer Mel Renfro was a great cover corner.

The only thing standing in the way of the Cowboys winning the NFL (this was before the merger) and playing the AFL champ in SB I were the GB packers, the defending champs led by MVP Bart Starr and legendary coach Vince Lombardi.

The championship game was played in Dallas, in the Cotton Bowl on Jan. 1, 1967.

The Cowboys overcame a 14-0 early deficit to tie it in the second qtr. Then trailed again 34-20 in the 4th. But scored to make it 34-27 on a 65 yd bomb from Meredith to TE Frank Clarke with about 5 min left. After forcing a packers punt, the Cowboys got the ball back with a chance to tie with about 3 min left. They drove methodically down the field and had a first and goal inside the ten with less than a minute left.

A false start and a few short gains, the Cowboys faced 4th down at the two yard line with no timeouts and just seconds left. On 4th down Meredith did a rollout to the right but packer LB Dave Robinson was draped all over him and his desperate pass in the end zone was intercepted. I had my first sports cry that day.

The packers went on to SB I two weeks later and beat the chiefs 35-10. We could have won that first SB.

I hated the packers.

Exactly 364 days later, on Dec. 31st, 1967, the Cowboys had their chance at revenge, facing the pack again for the NFL championship, this time in GB. Today, it is famously known as “The Ice Bowl.” At kickoff the temperature was -13 below, with a -30 wind chill.

I won’t go into all the details of that game, but in similar fashion to the prior game the Cowboys had overcome a 14 point deficit to take a17-14 lead with 3 min left on RB Dan Reeves gadget play pass to WR Lance Rentzl. All we had to do was hold them one more time. You know the story. The packers scored with 9 seconds left on a Bart Starr QB sneak. I had an even bigger sports cry that day.

Of course the pack went on to win SB II against the raiders two weeks later 33-14. We should have been there. The Lombardi Trophy could have been called “The Landry Trophy”.

Sports is full of “could have been moments” though, right?

The Green Bay Packers were my original most hated team. As a kid, those packers were the most “hate”I ever felt for an opposing team…well…maybe later it was the deadskins, lol.

This Sunday I’ll remember those old ghosts of the old days with the hope the Cowboys can settle some old scores from the distant past.
I'm right there with you. I went to my first game in the Cotton Bowl Thanksgiving 1966. I'm really looking forward to a blowout win over the Packers this week.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys had a better record. Game should have been played in Dallas. We kick their butts if he had been.

plasticman

Reaction score
Two plays, two lost championships. Top that off with a Super Bowl loss in which the Cowboys lost by a field goal in the last seconds when the offense turned the ball over. It was miserable.

The year they lost Super Bowl 5 was my first year watching football and being a Cowboys fan.

The following season George Allen became the HC of the Washington You-know-whos. That was the team I hated first. A pack of no-class braggarts. I still remember their punter on the sidelines screaming "Die, dogs, die!"

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Didn't see the game live...but seen replay of the Ice Bowl game....that was some iconic game. Made me hate the Packers too after that. I heard the refs couldn't even blow their whistles because they froze...And remember this was before teams had all this elaborate warm clothing now and heaters on the benches. Amaze balls.....i grew up hating the Steelers because of the 70's losses in the SBs. ..

Pokefan1

Reaction score
Two plays, two lost championships. Top that off with a Super Bowl loss in which the Cowboys lost by a field goal in the last seconds when the offense turned the ball over. It was miserable.

The year they lost Super Bowl 5 was my first year watching football and being a Cowboys fan.

The following season George Allen became the HC of the Washington You-know-whos. That was the team I hated first. A pack of no-class braggarts. I still remember their punter on the sidelines screaming "Die, dogs, die!"
The Filthadelphia Iggles have been my most hated team and have been beginning with the McNabb years. Can’t stomach their foul mouthed Neanderthal fans from that cesspool!

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Some nice memories from you old timers hehe. But thanks for sharing.

I'm not that into those "forced" division rivalries here. Philly, Washington, the Giants... geographically that doesn't make any sense. And where I come from, rivalries are grown by either geographical vicinity / travelling distance by car. Or two big successful dinasties going at each other's throats again and again in close games. Since the first thing is kinda hard to find for the Cowboys (nobody seems to hat Texans Fans lol) it was always about the other big ones. And since I "entered" the NFL in the 90s, teams like the 49ers and Packers came into focus.

So I was more interested in wins against that pesky Steve Young or Brett Farvre. What a great youth that was, hating them lol. Now of course these teams including our Cowboys aren't "big" anymore other than in making money. Imo the Cowboys have been completely irrelevant ever since the triplets left / retired. But the old feelings are still there, when we're going up against these guys from California or the far north.

Great games, great times, go Cowboys! Mop the floor with those stinking cheese heads. I despise AR even more than Favre. :D

And what a story that would be. Killing the Packers last hope to make it into the playoffs and getting our revenge against the Niners there on our way to the SB.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Didn't see the game live...but seen replay of the Ice Bowl game....that was some iconic game. Made me hate the Packers too after that. I heard the refs couldn't even blow their whistles because they froze...And remember this was before teams had all this elaborate warm clothing now and heaters on the benches. Amaze balls.....i grew up hating the Steelers because of the 70's losses in the SBs. ..
Let me kindly remind you of the fact, that the people from those days weren't such wussies as we are today. When it comes to coping with cold / heat, enduring pain, eating the basic stuff / shopping habbits (they didn't have anything anytime instantly), taking insults or jokes... all that. I was born in '79 so I consider myself a little more "battle hardened" in these areas compared to the kids today. But compared to my grandpa I'm still a wuss, lol.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I'm not old enough to remember the ice bowl but I've always hated GB and felt that it's not fair they went from Favre to Rodgers. That franchise needs to find out what it's like to have a bunch of scrubs at QB.