Why WR CeeDee Lamb was the steal of the Draft

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No this is what everyone wants... site owners like the clicks and activity...

OP feels great because he’s getting replies...

you felt the need to reply to me... everyone “feels good” with this stake news
I felt the need to reply to you because you seem misinformed and misguided. If you don't like the thread don't enter I don't get the issue here?

quickccc

Reaction score
We can place Lamb where ever we want and he will be effective. I would like to see him and Dak get on the same page early and often. That will pay off all year.
Start throwing to everyone, make all a weapon and not a decoy. Get the ball in his hands and use that tackle breaking talent. Then take those deep shots and the TE. Would love to see a 4 WR set and spread them out and ram Elliot right down there throats.

The imaginary scenario is exciting, but again with all the way the pandemic has effected the time nd preparation of OTAs, camp
and no preseason and limited coaching time, i fear we wont be able to do all we could have did with Lamb because there
wasn't time beforehand to practice and prepare.

Plus Lamb still has to learn and master the nuisances of getting off the line of scrimmage vs press jam coverage - he didn't face a lot of that
in college,- and as Samuel Gold vid illustrated at times when he was jammed, it looks like other the play was not geared towards him
to be involved or the QB quickly looked him off..

But if i think Moore is the scheme designer with the pass game as i've seen last year, the handful of plays such an unbalanced field
where he can quickly catch screens, flairs, deep seams, jet sweeps inside and out ( though i see Pollard running these type plays too)
in an effort to get him in a on the run, in the broken open field as often as possible.

That's why i used the Deebo vid as well as an example with an open field runner and the play-design that can be used such as that.

and you're right, as i expect Lamb to be used both inside and out, he won't be a pure beasley slot guy, or nor even R. Cobb who could play slot
and outside, but couldn't excel outside as Lamb is expected to be.

quickccc

Reaction score
IMO people talk about him too much in the slot. I don't think he is going to be pigeon holed there. If I was MM, I would move the receivers around a lot to screw with coverage assignments. I'm fully comfortable with Cooper in the slot if he ends up there on motion. Bunch formations are also pretty dangerous with this group.

Hopefully this isn't the same old unimaginative Garrett offense. I should have no clue what is about to happen when Dallas has the ball. Tony Romo shouldn't be able to call out exactly the play before the snap.

i think Moore was already doing that (moving the receivers around) in just his rookie OC year in 2019. That's why we saw instances of Cooper inside in the slot, and including bunch formations and rub routes,..

And then just imagine if we successfully find a way to implement Tony Pollard and his explosive speed into the pass game. Wheew !

conner01

Reaction score
I guess we’ll know in a few years
:thumbup:
Exactly
On paper he was the biggest steal
There is a biggest steal every year
Some turn out to actually be a steal and some don’t
Time will tell if he turns out to actually be the biggest steal

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
We can place Lamb where ever we want and he will be effective. I would like to see him and Dak get on the same page early and often. That will pay off all year. Start throwing to everyone, make all a weapon and not a decoy. Get the ball in his hands and use that tackle breaking talent. Then take those deep shots and the TE. Would love to see a 4 WR set and spread them out and ram Elliot right down there throats.
Lambs most immediate impact might be how just his presence elevates Gallup and Coops game, not that they needed it, but lets be real.
Lamb, Gallup and Coop has to already be giving defensive coords in our division a belly ache, early.
Looking forward to early opponents disrespecting the rook, and game planning to take Gallup and Coop out some how, and Lamb lights it up a few times.
Thats when all hell gonna break loose.
Sometimes a rook WR in this league can make a significant difference and thats when they are not drafted to be the WR1,, the Quad Runner is our WR3... that breaks the equation sometimes.

Thomas82

Reaction score
I don't think most people fully grasp how good Lamb is or the value is in Dallas.

Lamb can play all 3 WR options and actually played all 4 in the Air Raid.
BUT if he had been a WR1 year 1 he would have growing pains.
Learning to handle elite man press and seeing the other team's top CB weekly would be recipe for a very blah rookie season.
Instead he goes to Dallas where is WR3 as a rookie and will learn X, Y, Z but play as a direct understudy to Amari Cooper as X and Z.
He'll often be faced with the nickel CB or the weaker of 2 outside CBs because he is playing with two dudes who are scary.
Dallas will use their creativity to get him the ball each week with scheme and he'll be option 3 for Dak a lot on bnroken or well defended plays.
But an option 3 that can make people miss at a rate similar to Amari or even better.
He was the most elusive WR coming out of the draft.
Not the best route runner. Not the best hands. Not the fastest straight-line.
But he was the hardest to tackle once he caught the ball and he had no real weaknesses(just lack of strengths) in those other areas.

Every report talks about the Big 12 but ignores he played the very best DBs in the country.
He faced Ohio State, Georgia, Bama and LSU.

His 2nd collegiate game was against OSU on the road and it was OU's biggest non-playoff win of the decade. He had 5 catches for 61 yards.
In the playoff game versus Georgia that year he had 6 for 66 yards.
That was as a true freshman.

He was far better versus Bama and LSU in following seasons even with a far lesser QB last year.

Excellent post!! I couldn't have said it better.