Wide Receivers in the 2023 Draft?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I can't see us drafting a WR in the 1st round of the draft when you recently spent one on CeeDee. Instead, I imagine we'll draft one in the middle-ish rounds. And if that's the case, does anyone like Jalen Moreno Cropper? Looks more refined than the Jalen we drafted with last year's 3rd round pick. I could see us giving a guy like Cropper a shot with the team with this year's 3rd.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
after how Gallup looked why would you not want a wr in round 1?
Well, you have free agency. At WR, I see them going after a known commodity, because you can't afford to miss in round 1 after last year. Just think how we'd all feel if they drafted a WR in round 1 and he pulled a Treylon Burks. This draft has a lot of WR talent, but I'm not sure I've ever noticed a class that lacks size like this one, and the Cowboys typically like bigger receivers.

It's just early speculation.

I personally don't look at it like I need to fill X position in round X,Y, Z. To me, it's more about the evaluation and scheme fit than needing to fill this position in this round. That approach seems to work better than filling need. We'll obviously look for someone who is Dak friendly. I wouldn't be irked that the Cowboys drafted a WR in round 1, because it's Jerry and I can see the Cowboys going WR just to appease the fans. To the old codger's credit, he knows WRs rather well. But I'd rather see them do what they did last year: stick to their guns and take the player they think can help the team the most like they did with Tyler Smith.

If you need to address a position by round (as well as appease the fanbase), we saw some issues at the nose tackle position, so I can see them drafting a run stuffing DT there. I see a lot of our fans like Kancy, and I agree he's a nice player with some serious skill. But I think it'll get tougher for him in the NFL where he might not be as good against the run in our defense and you could argue he would not be as good of a fit for Dallas as he would other teams since Parons is small for a defensive end. We'd have a super-undersized defensive line.

On the other hand, if you can refine the technique of a player like Ika, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better fit than Ika to add to a Micah Parsons' led defense.

As far as Gallup, I expect him to bounce back next year. He was getting open. Everyone is down on him because of the INT on the comeback route. It just looks bad, if you're not considering the context of that play.

Anyway, check out Cropper.. He's also smallish, or light, but he's got game.

Last edited:

RonWashington

Reaction score
If he’s available at 26 round one Quentin Johnston 6’4 “ receiver out of TCU . Tempting opposite side of Lamb with Gallup hopefully coming back stronger . Daks got a short window 2 yrs lock and load and address RB after a top target in the passing game .

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Anyway, he's put some great work on tape..
I haven't
If he’s available at 26 round one Quentin Johnston 6’4 “ receiver out of TCU . Tempting opposite side of Lamb with Gallup hopefully coming back stronger . Daks got a short window 2 yrs lock and load and address RB after a top target in the passing game .
I get the logic of drafting a WR in round 1. I just don't think they'll do it unless the goal is to sign Doran Payne or something along those lines.
If I have to sacrifice some size in this draft to get an NFL-level WR, give me a guy like Cropper. Great hands, can separate, has nice instincts, has hands like glue, and serious clutch factor.

cowboyec

Reaction score
trust your scouts.
trust your board.
you just never know what the draft tide at 26 will bring in.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
If Stephen can manipulate the cap and somehow land Payne to team with Hankins OSA Watkins really goes a long way to being able to address WR and RB through the draft .
Right. That would be a nice situation to have on our hands. Otherwise, I would like to get a WR on the free agent market, and add one in the draft. I'm obviously not considering every option here, because I'm not up to speed on them. But the way I see it, we could use a guy like we had with Cedrick Wilson.

This guy fits that mold, with maybe a bit higher ceiling, and I think you could get production out of a player like him in our offense, if you had other priorities to address, and I think we'll have needs at CB, DT, WR, possibly TE if Schultz walks (even though I like our rookies). The tradeoff is he isn't going to block like Noah Brown.

I guess if the right WR was there, and you're certain he's a guy you want for 5 years, you could drop a 1st rounder. But with the core players we have on this team right now, I would really hate to burn even a late 1st round pick on a WR who ended up a bust, which is why I'm looking at these later rounds guys who can be had in round 3-5, because we saw the situation we were in at the end of the season after injuries to Brown and Bland and what the defense looked like in the middle.

We'll see how it goes. I was OK sitting pat last year, but I hope they're a little more active in the free agent market this year.

RonWashington

Reaction score
After spending a 3 on Tolbert you have to get him into spring workouts plus camp and give it a shot to see if he can help in the slot stretch chains . Guys like Tolbert Davis Ferguson nowhere to be found in SF . And MM calling plays sounds terrible to be honest .

cnuball21

Reaction score
Well, you have free agency. At WR, I see them going after a known commodity, because you can't afford to miss in round 1 after last year. Just think how we'd all feel if they drafted a WR in round 1 and he pulled a Treylon Burks. This draft has a lot of WR talent, but I'm not sure I've ever noticed a class that lacks size like this one, and the Cowboys typically like bigger receivers.

It's just early speculation.

I personally don't look at it like I need to fill X position in round X,Y, Z. To me, it's more about the evaluation and scheme fit than needing to fill this position in this round. That approach seems to work better than filling need. We'll obviously look for someone who is Dak friendly. I wouldn't be irked that the Cowboys drafted a WR in round 1, because it's Jerry and I can see the Cowboys going WR just to appease the fans. To the old codger's credit, he knows WRs rather well. But I'd rather see them do what they did last year: stick to their guns and take the player they think can help the team the most like they did with Tyler Smith.

If you need to address a position by round (as well as appease the fanbase), we saw some issues at the nose tackle position, so I can see them drafting a run stuffing DT there. I see a lot of our fans like Kancy, and I agree he's a nice player with some serious skill. But I think it'll get tougher for him in the NFL where he might not be as good against the run in our defense and you could argue he would not be as good of a fit for Dallas as he would other teams since Parons is small for a defensive end. We'd have a super-undersized defensive line.

On the other hand, if you can refine the technique of a player like Ika, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better fit than Ika to add to a Micah Parsons' led defense.

As far as Gallup, I expect him to bounce back next year. He was getting open. Everyone is down on him because of the INT on the comeback route. It just looks bad, if you're not considering the context of that play.

Anyway, check out Cropper.. He's also smallish, or light, but he's got game.

It’s a bad FA group for WR.

I think you can upgrade from Gallup so I’m not opposed to it, but I don’t think you’re doing enough in just FA to get this team over the hump.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
Right. That would be a nice situation to have on our hands. Otherwise, I would like to get a WR on the free agent market, and add one in the draft. I'm obviously not considering every option here, because I'm not up to speed on them. But the way I see it, we could use a guy like we had with Cedrick Wilson.

This guy fits that mold, with maybe a bit higher ceiling, and I think you could get production out of a player like him in our offense, if you had other priorities to address, and I think we'll have needs at CB, DT, WR, possibly TE if Schultz walks (even though I like our rookies). The tradeoff is he isn't going to block like Noah Brown.

I guess if the right WR was there, and you're certain he's a guy you want for 5 years, you could drop a 1st rounder. But with the core players we have on this team right now, I would really hate to burn even a late 1st round pick on a WR who ended up a bust, which is why I'm looking at these later rounds guys who can be had in round 3-5, because we saw the situation we were in at the end of the season after injuries to Brown and Bland and what the defense looked like in the middle.

We'll see how it goes. I was OK sitting pat last year, but I hope they're a little more active in the free agent market this year.
Which FA WR do you have in mind? Have you seen this years FA group??