Will defense fix the tells the Rams saw in playoffs?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Hey dude..

God morning.

Can't sleep?

:huh:

Me neither.
Ha-Ha-Ha!!! sleep? for what "oh rapid fastest fireball across the sky traveller" ? ,,, I've got zero docks ,in zero ports of call I'm required to maintain a schedule on these days, brother:thumbup:

*man, I've always been more night-owl than day hawk,,, since long before I could escape from under the parent's roof:starspin:

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The players will just have to try harder to execute, and management will have to bring in better players. The coaches shouldn't have to change anything, is what I'm assuming Garrett thinks if the last 8 years are any indication. Why JJ can't see that this thinking has wasted the roster he and Mclay have created is beyond me. A better coach can win with the talent we have. Right now we have an anchor at headcoach.

That is a good way to put it, and since Rod is the DC and kris was just calling his schemes it could happen again.
And JG is all about execution since his game plans and schemes are perfect and genius.
Although since he doesnt know defense, I can cut him a little slack, but for 6 mil a year he should know defense too??

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not so sure about that.

You can know something might be happening..

But you still have to stop it.

So it's more that the Rams had personnel that was better than ours.

At least that day. It happens.

Do you change everything becuz somebody said this?

I think not.

To me the problem was the defense was clearly not ready to play that day.

I thought that was not Marinelli..but Richard.

He was off doing coaching interviews all week while the rest of the team was preparing.

I put the blame at his feet.

Notice the cries about Richard leaving for another job have gone silent.

That defensive failure should give us all pause about just how good he is.

Displays like that can kill your career.

He was released from Seattle for a reason.

It's obvious this draft is going to be about defense.

How much Richard affects the picks will be interesting.

The talk about safeties and CBs being the biggest needs falls directly at his feet to know who to pursue and at what price.

Hmmmm...

:rolleyes:

amazing-everything-you-just-said-was-wrong-gif-3.gif

Sydla

Reaction score
The players will just have to try harder to execute, and management will have to bring in better players. The coaches shouldn't have to change anything, is what I'm assuming Garrett thinks if the last 8 years are any indication. Why JJ can't see that this thinking has wasted the roster he and Mclay have created is beyond me. A better coach can win with the talent we have. Right now we have an anchor at coach.

There are people on this board that think like this. That the coaches have no real bearing on outcomes.

If you want to win, just get better players because all coaches are basically the same.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
They'll fix the DL alignments, but the broader issue is that this is a very predictable team in general. I remember when Janoris Jenkins just absolutely shut Dez down in I think 2016 - 1 catch on 7 targets. The media asked him how he did it, and he flat out said: this team has very predictable tendencies. Every time Dez released inside, he was going to run a square-in, so Jenkins could pretty much sit out that route as soon as Dez broke. Two years later, we have Cooper griping about the same thing - the coaches know about the weaknesses in their scheme but nothing has changed.

IMO, it is a result of having unimaginative coaches who have just been in place for way too long.

Yup. Way too many players and coaches have called this team out for being pretty obvious in what they are doing.

This stubborn attitude of imposing our will even though they know what we’re doing is holding this team back. Need some imagination and creativity to get to the next level. We have the talent, that’s for damn sure.

Sydla

Reaction score
It was more than our just tipping stunts. It was reported that the Rams noticed tendencies with LVE and Jaylon and used formations and motions to get both our LBs moving before the snap and try to get them out of position.

Save for the few who are totally in the tank for Garrett and this staff, most would readily admit we got out played and out coached.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
That game signified the need for passing of the torch. It will be fixed.
Ya,but, bro!,,, that " torch" certainly seems to be firmly entrenched still to this very day,,, sure, that whole kellen Moore B.S. can be 'floated out on the waters',,, and while there is a significant possibility he's the cat sportin' "a short skirt,,,&,,, a long jacket" Who hacks thru that red- pecker-wood-tape with a machete,,, but, I personally seriously doubt the difference tween Linehan&Moore in offense, will be any more of contrasting difference , if one was Tuesday & the other Wednesday & we were all lost in a cave deep underground for 10 days ,ya know,Bro?o_O

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Rams swear they knew what our defensive line was doing “90% of the time”. They saw signals and read the way our tackles lined up to know if stunts were coming etc. I tend to believe them considering how they ran over us at will.

Will Rod and Kris be smarter this year to keep teams from knowing our scheme as it happens?
if they don't...they are really stupid

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It was more than our just tipping stunts. It was reported that the Rams noticed tendencies with LVE and Jaylon and used formations and motions to get both our LBs moving before the snap and try to get them out of position.

Save for the few who are totally in the tank for Garrett and this staff, most would readily admit we got out played and out coached.
Right across the board, we got beat. I do think the offense was playing ok, but the defense got handled. And as far as our scheme and game plan, whoever the parties responsible also underachieved. And we've seen that before, like running a similar running play 3 times in a row and getting stuff every time. Or, my favorite, bringing a wr in motion into the the running lanes. Like, why not just send the defense an invite?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The offense did seem to get more in a groove as the game went on and if Mr. Heath isn’t brain dead in that play, I think it was possible we could have gotten that game into OT.

But even then, the lack of play and coaching in that game was apparent.
I hope that defeat will stick in their minds as motivation to keep their foot on the gas. But they looked tired from the beginning, right after the Seattle game.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
If they don't, I'll be one POed Cowboys fan. I want them to not only fix them and be less predictable, but to exploit possible "tells" to deceive the other team. I want them to hire an independent third party to watch Cowboys film and find our indicators and report it to the coaching staff. Then if there's a "tell" for a running play, they'll use it in playaction. Or they'll "tell" that it's a passing play, but run up the middle. Or "tell" that it's a fake punt, drawing the opponent up in caution, and just do a normal punt. That kind of thing. I don't think this offense is very good at using deception, and it should be. It's not everything. You still have to execute, but it would be nice to be good at that.

Then on defense, I'd like to see opponents confused as to what defense they'll face, for example uncertainty whether it's zone or man coverage. And our blitzes shouldn't be so obvious.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
In this case, you fix the tells, not necessarily the scheme.

Marinelli/Richard have to do a better job of not showing our intentions pre-snap. Usually, it's how the d linemen are lined up (which gap) and if they are pointing or "tilted". My DC spends a lot of time working with the D Line's stance so we do not give away what we're doing. We try to use the offensive linemen's "rules" against them, and my guess is the Rams saw some tendencies and used those against the Cowboys' front.

It's one of our biggest organizational weaknesses IMO, self-scouting...which makes sense because self-scouting is all about accountability and honest self-evaluation (admitting you were wrong), and that is definitely a detriment of a Jerry Jones-led team.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rams did the same thing to everybody between the tackles. It wasn’t anything special that we were doing. We couldn’t stop the run, and that’s what happens when you can’t stop the run.

We’ve tried to upgrade the DL rotation depth, and I think did an ok job with that. We’ll probably spend a high pick on DT in the 2nd or 3rd. That’ll be it.

Still more important to upgrade at S if we can, though.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya,but, bro!,,, that " torch" certainly seems to be firmly entrenched still to this very day,,, sure, that whole kellen Moore B.S. can be 'floated out on the waters',,, and while there is a significant possibility he's the cat sportin' "a short skirt,,,&,,, a long jacket" Who hacks thru that red- pecker-wood-tape with a machete,,, but, I personally seriously doubt the difference tween Linehan&Moore in offense, will be any more of contrasting difference , if one was Tuesday & the other Wednesday & we were all lost in a cave deep underground for 10 days ,ya know,Bro?o_O
I know, but thinking I'll be seeing two drastically different schemes this year is the only thing keeping me from a full bottle of everclear in the afternoon of the first contest.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
If they don't, I'll be one POed Cowboys fan. I want them to not only fix them and be less predictable, but to exploit possible "tells" to deceive the other team. I want them to hire an independent third party to watch Cowboys film and find our indicators and report it to the coaching staff. Then if there's a "tell" for a running play, they'll use it in playaction. Or they'll "tell" that it's a passing play, but run up the middle. Or "tell" that it's a fake punt, drawing the opponent up in caution, and just do a normal punt. That kind of thing. I don't think this offense is very good at using deception, and it should be. It's not everything. You still have to execute, but it would be nice to be good at that.

Then on defense, I'd like to see opponents confused as to what defense they'll face, for example uncertainty whether it's zone or man coverage. And our blitzes shouldn't be so obvious.
I COPY! & am in complete concurrence REVEREND!
:starspin::thumbup::starspin:

o_O

Melonfeud

Reaction score
I know, but thinking I'll be seeing two drastically different schemes this year is the only thing keeping me from a full bottle of everclear in the afternoon of the first contest.
BAWHHHAAAAAAAaaaa,,,Ha-Ha-Ha,,,I luv u, man!
:starspin::thumbup::starspin: