Will Garrett still start Witten if Blake and Dalton outplay him?

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I'll start out by saying I think Witten is one of the greatest TEs to ever play but at the end he wasn’t that top level player anymore. I’m starting to think based on the end of last season and this preseason game Blake and Dalton might be better than Witten coming off a year out of football and a year older. We have seen JG show favoritism to vets vs young players in the past Ogletree vs Harris and Beasley so I wonder outside of injury if Blake and Dalton out play Witten will JG still start Witten?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'll start out by saying I think Witten is one of the greatest TEs to ever play but at the end he wasn’t that top level player anymore. I’m starting to think based on the end of last season and this preseason game Blake and Dalton might be better than Witten coming off a year out of football and a year older. We have seen JG show favoritism to vets vs young players in the past Ogletree vs Harris and Beasley so I wonder outside of injury if Blake and Dalton out play Witten will JG still start Witten?
Witten will start, he is a better blocker than the other two. I think Blake gets more playing time in obvious passing downs.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well, now.

You will burn in football hell.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Witten’s blocking prowess, especially the past few seasons, has been one of the biggest myths in football.
I think his willingness to do it, relative to the great receiving TEs of his era (Gates, Gonzalez, Graham) has really skewed the perception of him as a blocker. He's always been solid, but never spectacular, and the last couple of years he was OK at best.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think his willingness to do it, relative to the great receiving TEs of his era (Gates, Gonzalez, Graham) has really skewed the perception of him as a blocker. He's always been solid, but never spectacular, and the last couple of years he was OK at best.

Agreed.

Witten should be credited with being a complete TE but folks thinking he was staying with in on the LOS manhandling DEs are silly.

stinkface

Reaction score
Witten the last few years didn't get much movement blocking, but he was able to wall off his guy and he at least knew who to wall off. Can't say that about the other guys. Rico was probably are best blocking tight end just based on strength and size. However, he sure didn't seem to progress much as the years went by.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It remains to be seen. Jarwin has shown he is worthy of being a starter, Dalton has not. In the two TE sets we've seen them play at training camp, it's been Witten and Jarwin getting those snaps. Reports say Witten is doing well enough to be the top TE on the roster. I understand what you are asking is hypothetical but I don't play the "hypothetical game". The best players play. For now, that is Witten as our 1TE and Jarwin a close 2TE. It's a good problem to have.