Will Garrett still start Witten if Blake and Dalton outplay him?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I'll start out by saying I think Witten is one of the greatest TEs to ever play but at the end he wasn’t that top level player anymore. I’m starting to think based on the end of last season and this preseason game Blake and Dalton might be better than Witten coming off a year out of football and a year older. We have seen JG show favoritism to vets vs young players in the past Ogletree vs Harris and Beasley so I wonder outside of injury if Blake and Dalton out play Witten will JG still start Witten?

Garrett's contract expires after this season. We could argue whether or not he's played favorites in the past, but I'm guessing he wants a new contract so he'll do whatever he thinks he needs to do to win this season.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Garrett's contract expires after this season. We could argue whether or not he's played favorites in the past, but I'm guessing he wants a new contract so he'll do whatever he thinks he needs to do to win this season.

You honestly think he would bench a player who has had his back for a long time and has the star power that Witten does?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You honestly think he would bench a player who has had his back for a long time and has the star power that Witten does?

I said I think he'll do what he thinks he has to do to win and get a new contract.

You seem like you've already decided Witten doesn't belong on the field. We haven't even seen him play yet.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Is this a trick question? How can they outplay the guy getting all the reps? Will this year be different? We’re talking about Garrett here....

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I said I think he'll do what he thinks he has to do to win and get a new contract.

You seem like you've already decided Witten doesn't belong on the field. We haven't even seen him play yet.

I’m not putting nails in Witten’s football coffin but I am saying he looked pretty much done two years ago and he has now been out for a season is older. He is going to have to prove to me on the field he is still able to do it.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
It cant be just me but it seems dallas like to go with what's familiar instead of the better player. I know they see them more but I cant help but think that sometimes.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Witten has always been a good go-to guy for Dak, anytime nobody else is open. No reason for that to change now.

Nevertheless, it's a breath of fresh air to see Jarwin get open so often and producing good yardage when he does!

Last edited:

ICP

Reaction score
Jarwin should be the starter regardless. Witten should ONLY be here to mentor the young guys and play a few snaps

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'll start out by saying I think Witten is one of the greatest TEs to ever play but at the end he wasn’t that top level player anymore. I’m starting to think based on the end of last season and this preseason game Blake and Dalton might be better than Witten coming off a year out of football and a year older. We have seen JG show favoritism to vets vs young players in the past Ogletree vs Harris and Beasley so I wonder outside of injury if Blake and Dalton out play Witten will JG still start Witten?

Define outplay. Are you talking about catching passes or blocking or both?

Jarwin looks good as a receiver but terrible blocking. That limits his ability to be the only TE on the field.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Witten catches everything ,... or almost everything .

Jarwin is no where near Witten ., I suppose ... But we will soon find out .

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Witten’s blocking prowess, especially the past few seasons, has been one of the biggest myths in football.
Add to that his customary false starts.

But i think he is still better than Blake and Dalton as of now in blocking.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Define outplay. Are you talking about catching passes or blocking or both?

Jarwin looks good as a receiver but terrible blocking. That limits his ability to be the only TE on the field.

I think at this point Blake is a better receiver and Dalton is a better blocker