Will Garrett still start Witten if Blake and Dalton outplay him?

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Witten put a new standard for TEs here at cowboys, lets see Jarwin try to get near this achievement .

Verdict

Reaction score
Go back and watch the tape. Jarwin is a horrible blocker. Good receiver terrible blocker.

Witten hasn’t blocked well in 3 years. Once a guy gets a reputation in Dallas fans just can let it go. It reminds me of the Dez fans. Good times.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Go back and watch the tape. Jarwin is a horrible blocker. Good receiver terrible blocker.

Jarwin - receiving TE
Witten - balanced TE
Schultz - balanced TE in training

I was encouraged when they listed Jarwin as bulked up at 260, but it doesn't seem like the added weight has improved his blocking much.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I expect Jarwin will see ample snaps this season however I expect Witten to be starting because he is an all around TE blocking and receiving.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten won't be judged by preseason games as he will likely play dramatically less than the others. But Jarwin will likely play a fair amount, and he can earn his way. My guess is none of the TEs will be the full time guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jarwin plays at least as much or more than Witten once the season starts.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll start out by saying I think Witten is one of the greatest TEs to ever play but at the end he wasn’t that top level player anymore. I’m starting to think based on the end of last season and this preseason game Blake and Dalton might be better than Witten coming off a year out of football and a year older. We have seen JG show favoritism to vets vs young players in the past Ogletree vs Harris and Beasley so I wonder outside of injury if Blake and Dalton out play Witten will JG still start Witten?
Maybe the question should be, “If Blake and Dalton outplay Witten, will JERRY allow Garrett to not start Witten?”

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Where is Jerry's playdough machine. Mash them up and create a super TE.
I am sure there is one in that huge Jerry World somewhere, it has everything else.
Heck now they can even have playdough art.

cern

Reaction score
witten will be useful at times, particularly around the goal line. but it is imperative we see jarwin and Schultz working with the first team in real situations. we know what witten used to do, what he did most recently, and he shouldn't be allowed to become a progress stopper for the younger players.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The answer to the Title of this post is yes. Witten will start even if he isn't the best.

JReed1000

Reaction score
I really like Jarwin...if he can somehow be a better blocker he would beat out Witten. HOWEVER...this team is RUN first...not gonna happen. Especially since the old man still can get open occasionally.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'll start out by saying I think Witten is one of the greatest TEs to ever play but at the end he wasn’t that top level player anymore. I’m starting to think based on the end of last season and this preseason game Blake and Dalton might be better than Witten coming off a year out of football and a year older. We have seen JG show favoritism to vets vs young players in the past Ogletree vs Harris and Beasley so I wonder outside of injury if Blake and Dalton out play Witten will JG still start Witten?
maybe maybe maybe in first couple of games.....but their youth and talent will take over.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Maybe the question should be, “If Blake and Dalton outplay Witten, will JERRY allow Garrett to not start Witten?”

Maybe the if these guys can block. I like Jarwin but he was blown up on a running plays and Dallas can't have that. If all he can do is be a WR then make him a WR but a TE if he can't seal the edge and stop DL/LB in the run game then he hurts a big portion of our offense. I like Jarwin and I do think he will get ample snaps in this offense but be it Witten or another TE, blocking is still a major role that position holds in Dallas.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

So you have already decided that they are better than Witten ........ So yes, to you it will look like Garrett is starting Witten no matter what.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The last 2 years he played Jason missed countless blocks because he couldn't get there in time. So it's time for Jason sit or retire and teach our young TEs to block.