Will Jerry ever bring in a proven HC again?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry has only brought in a proven HC twice in his era. Initially to set the teams course bringing them out of potential bankruptcy and the second time to resurrect from a 5-11 Funk to gain public support for a new stadium.

What would it take for Jerry to set his ego aside again or stop his pursuit of trying to prove he can build and win a championship without a proven HC who’d receive more credit than him?

Or are we stuck in this situation until Jerry’s last breathe barring a total collapse or financial barrier?

Remember he tried winning championships with a great HC but didn’t like not receiving the credit he was pursuing. What gives us hope Jerry will change?

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Jerry has only brought in a proven HC twice in his era. Initially to set the teams course bringing them out of potential bankruptcy and the second time to resurrect from a 5-11 Funk to gain public support for a new stadium.

What would it take for Jerry to set his ego aside again or stop his pursuit of trying to prove he can build and win a championship without a proven HC who’d receive more credit than him?

Or are we stuck in this situation until Jerry’s last breathe barring a total collapse or financial barrier?

Remember he tried winning championships with a great HC but didn’t like not receiving the credit he was pursuing. What gives us hope Jerry will change?

The first thing Jerry needs to do is to remove himself from the football equation because even a good coach will struggle under a poor GM (see Bill Belichick at the Browns) and any HC worth his salt would think several times over about working for a GM like Jerry.

I can't see Jerry voluntarily doing this so, I don't think Jerry will ever appoint a really good strong HC.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The first thing Jerry needs to do is to remove himself from the football equation because even a good coach will struggle under a poor GM (see Bill Belichick at the Browns) and any HC worth his salt would think several times over about working for a GM like Jerry.

I can't see Jerry voluntarily doing this so, I don't think Jerry will ever appoint a really good strong HC.

The exception was Parcells. Jerry hired him and got out of his way ..... for a while. Then he just couldn't resist his meddling ways.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Obviously we won't. We have the most money in the entire league but won't spend money on real talent at a position that doesn't have a salary cap and that is Coaches.
I don't think money has anything to do with it. I think getting credit is his main motivation, which I think is the reason Moore is moving up the ranks so quickly. Jerry makes a splash and "discovers" the next great coach, if Moore does well. If he doesn't do well, it gives him another reason not to blame Garrett.

conner01

Reaction score
Seems the trend in the nfl is going away from proven HC
Over the last few years doesn’t seem like many have been hired

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
I think Jerry would bring in a proven HC only if the team doesn't have much talent. When Parcells was brought in, the team just wasn't very good with the exception of some of the Oline, LBs, Williams and Glover.

GenoT

Reaction score
I doubt it.

Doing so would change the narrative from winning being the result of the Cowboys organization (read: Jerry’s football acumen) to being the result of hiring a proven coach who has had success outside the Cowboys sphere.

Because if, say, a Doug Pederson were brought in and he quickly delivered a SB win, that would prove that a superior HC matters more than Jerry’s football input — and that’s NOT gonna be allowed to happen.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Jerry will die with the huge failure of the last 25 years...things will probably be worse under his cheap son
Jerry is anything but a failure

He has 3 rings, HoF, new Stadium, new Practice Campus, 250 yacht and the team is worth 5b for a 160m investment

SJones is too cheap and needs to get some wildcatting from his Daddy.... he can Draft well but he needs to spend some FA money

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If they are ever desperate enough to win then they will.

They were desperate when they brought in Parcells and it probably had more to do with getting a stadium built then it did winning.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I tend to doubt it. Who would want to come here under the same constraints as past luminaries? Jerry has the aura of advancing age. Will he be like Al Davis and Donald Sterling and drag the franchise down to lower levels before others are forced to act?
That being said, I certainly get the feeling that the 2020 season is heading toward the crossroads of change. Will the 2019 season be a lame duck affair with Jerry holding his version of an ace in the hole - Richard, Payton, etc? Is Kellen Moore his ace as HC with Nussmeier as OC?
This franchise comes off like the late 70's TV show, Soap.
Stay tuned for next week's show, boys and girls.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry is anything but a failure

He has 3 rings, HoF, new Stadium, new Practice Campus, 250 yacht and the team is worth 5b for a 160m investment

SJones is too cheap and needs to get some wildcatting from his Daddy.... he can Draft well but he needs to spend some FA money
Apparently those 3 rings gives him a pass for life with some fans?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Apparently those 3 rings gives him a pass for life with some fans?
It does....I guess some fans think that they are easy to win

the Eagles won their only title last year in 53 tries

do you subtract the 3 rings from Brady that he won 15-17 years ago when you praise him or do they all count???