Will Jerry ever bring in a proven HC again?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
------Yeah no serious coach would want 10m to coach the Dallas Cowboys....... get real

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Early entry for best point of the month
It’s fun to throw that out there but it has no meaning unless Jerry actually throws that kind of money to attract someone.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He negotiated a lot of deals for the nfl and brought them in a ton of money. So he was able to help make the league what it has become.
Yes. Which I believe is a lesser football product. And become a bigger sports entertainment product.

Jerry basically took success on the field out as being critical for financial success. Not sure why we’re pleased with glitter without the glory?

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
-------things will probably be worse under his cheap son

I agree....I've done a 180 on Stephen. I honestly cannot figure him out anymore...he acts as if every dollar spent is directly being removed from his inheritance.
I actually believe Charlotte and Jerry jr won’t allow Stephen to run football operations as Daddy has.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like you said it’s a theory.

Jerry was promoting Manziel because if Johnny became a star he didn’t want to look the fool for passing on him but Jerry said on Draft morning that he had no intention of drafting Romo’s Heir apparent until Romo was done. Believe what you will but basically your theory was used to support a narrative that Stephen was taking a larger role which provided some fans more hope.

No, Jerry was on local sports talk radio multiple times after that draft and it was obvious he would have preferred Manziel.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yes. Which I believe is a lesser football product. And become a bigger sports entertainment product.

Jerry basically took success on the field out as being critical for financial success. Not sure why we’re pleased with glitter without the glory?
Yes but nationally and with the other owners he is glorified for the money it has brought them. He's not in the hall of fame for his team's success. Look I will be cheering when he dies because he is cancer for this team.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes but nationally and with the other owners he is glorified for the money it has brought them. He's not in the hall of fame for his team's success. Look I will be cheering when he dies because he is cancer for this team.

Cheering when he dies? Lol. Okay ...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course but when you say he’s been good for football I’m assuming you only mean for business side of it ?

All of the glitter has no meaning to me. Unless you’re financially invested like the owners, networks or sponsors are.

I’m not sure we can say the game itself is a better product?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cheering when he dies? Lol. Okay ...
Normally we’d just cheer for someones departure like waiting for a player to retire or a coach to be fired but if his position is for life and departure tied to it then it’s understandable.

Maybe at some point he’ll retire and we won’t have to wait that long. At 76 I’m not sure how much longer he can maintain his current level of contribution? And what age might he actually become a bigger hindrance as GM?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I liked him as well but he would have taken James Francis instead of Emmitt if CIN hadn't taken him and there was that supplemental pick of Walsh after spending the 1st pick on Aikman. But, Johnson had a lot of hits on talent. I think his two coordinators deserve as much credit as he's received.
Well put.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Normally we’d just cheer for someones departure like waiting for a player to retire or a coach to be fired but if his position is for life and departure tied to it then it’s understandable.

Maybe at some point he’ll retire and we won’t have to wait that long. At 76 I’m not sure how much longer he can maintain his current level of contribution? And what age might he actually become a bigger hindrance as GM?
No, that's ridiculous in every way.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Here’s the bigger question . What franchise would take Jerry and his agendas this era?

Would any fan want Jerry as their GM now with the dysfunctional organization we currently have ?

He's not the same guy who once came in here and said something like: "We must win. We will win. Win is the name of the game." These days even a horrible season like 2017 is considered winning. :facepalm:

Sydla

Reaction score
I loved Johnson, but I find it telling that he had no success anywhere but in Dallas.
My point is it's never one guy.

He had one stop in the NFL beyond Dallas - Miami. And yes, he didn't win a SB there but he had a winning record there. He made the playoffs in 3 of his 4 years there and also had 2 playoff wins in 4 seasons there (compared to our current coach who has 2 playoff wins in 8 years). Not great but hardly poor. So it's not like he had 5 NFL stops and all were bad and only Dallas was a good run.

He was a very good at The U, granted that's college.

On the flipside, you have Jones who has gone through half a dozen coaches since Johnson left - one won a SB with the team Johnson and Jerry built and the others pretty much were blah.

I think the evidence is there that while the Cowboys of the 90s were a co-effort between the two, Johnson probably had more influence on how those teams were built than Jerry. Again that's not to say Jerry gets zero credit here. Shoot, he hired Jimmy so he gets a ton of credit for that.

But if Jerry was such an influence on those teams and so good at roster building as evidenced by those 90s teams, then why has he gone 23 years with basically zero success as GM?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He had one stop in the NFL beyond Dallas - Miami. And yes, he didn't win a SB there but he had a winning record there. He made the playoffs in 3 of his 4 years there and also had 2 playoff wins in 4 seasons there (compared to our current coach who has 2 playoff wins in 8 years). Not great but hardly poor. So it's not like he had 5 NFL stops and all were bad and only Dallas was a good run.

On the flipside, you have Jones who has gone through half a dozen coaches since Johnson left - one won a SB with the team Johnson and Jerry built and the others pretty much were blah.

I think the evidence is there that while the Cowboys of the 90s were a co-effort between the two, Johnson probably had more influence on how those teams were built than Jerry. Again that's not to say Jerry gets zero credit here. Shoot, he hired Jimmy so he gets a ton of credit for that.

But if Jerry was such an influence on those teams and so good at roster building as evidenced by those 90s teams, then why has he gone 23 years with basically zero success as GM?
Yep

Bashing Jimmy for his record after leaving Dallas is an obvious attempt to prop Jerry up. For the life of me I cant figure out why Cowboy fans would defend Jerry. I’ve never personally met a fan who would. I’ve only heard from them on anonymous fan forum. Ha

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I doubt it.

Doing so would change the narrative from winning being the result of the Cowboys organization (read: Jerry’s football acumen) to being the result of hiring a proven coach who has had success outside the Cowboys sphere.

Because if, say, a Doug Pederson were brought in and he quickly delivered a SB win, that would prove that a superior HC matters more than Jerry’s football input — and that’s NOT gonna be allowed to happen.
Wow, so sad

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Not arguing, I just feel that too many think it's one guy.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yep

Bashing Jimmy for his record after leaving Dallas is an obvious attempt to prop Jerry up. For the life of me I cant figure out why Cowboy fans would defend Jerry. I’ve never personally met a fan who would. I’ve only heard from them on anonymous fan forum. Ha
You are trolling. I never bashed Johnson, if you were unbiased you would see I said I held him pretty high. And, it's not defending Jones, it's being realistic and not blaming him for World hunger.
Try not to make putting words in people's mouths so obvious.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You are trolling. I never bashed Johnson, if you were unbiased you would see I said I held him pretty high. And, it's not defending Jones, it's being realistic and not blaming him for World hunger.
Try not to make putting words in people's mouths so obvious.
I wasn’t responding to you. Lol

I was speaking generally which apparently hits a nerve with you which supports my notion. Thanks!!

Obviously you were taking a shot at Jimmy for not having success anywhere else as you described it. IMO thats indirectly an attempt defending Jerry.