Will Jerry Jones even inquire about DET Roy Williams?

Spectre

Reaction score
I'm discouraged as I believe there's no chance of us acquiring Williams via trade this season and I think that's foolish.

But I would be fine if we didn't acquire him because the asking price was absurd.

My question is... do you think Jerry will even inquire about him or do you think Jerry believes that any likely price is too much for him in a contract year, their demands in the past have been ridiculous and our current team is fine without his addition? Also, because Jerry may have inquired in the past about him (draft day, etc.) would he just assume 'they'll call me' if they really want to do something?

Either way, I'm ticked off because I think it's dumb not to go after him and I'm convinced we won't. But I'd have an easier time swallowing it if I thought we made a legitimate attempt to but just couldn't pay their ridiculous price.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
How do you know he hasn't?

How can you be ticked off about something in case where you don't have all the details?

I think it's highly likely that Jerry inquired about Roy Williams, got a reponse he did not like and has moved on. Jerry is not going to throw draft picks at Detroit for someone who will be a free agent next year. If Jerry wants him, he will sign him then.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Jerry feels like we need another wide out. If he does I see no reason why he would not inquire. After all, if you don't ask you will never know.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Spectre;2306068 said:
I'm discouraged as I believe there's no chance of us acquiring Williams via trade this season and I think that's foolish.

But I would be fine if we didn't acquire him because the asking price was absurd.

My question is... do you think Jerry will even inquire about him or do you think Jerry believes that any likely price is too much for him in a contract year, their demands in the past have been ridiculous and our current team is fine without his addition? Also, because Jerry may have inquired in the past about him (draft day, etc.) would he just assume 'they'll call me' if they really want to do something?

Either way, I'm ticked off because I think it's dumb not to go after him and I'm convinced we won't. But I'd have an easier time swallowing it if I thought we made a legitimate attempt to but just couldn't pay their ridiculous price.

Isn't Roy in his LAST year of his current contract, and will likely look for the big $$$ this coming offseason? So are you saying we should just fork over a #1 draft pick to a guy who's not even guaranteed to be with us beyond this year?

Yah-now that IS foolish!:bang2:

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Boysboy;2306077 said:
Isn't Roy in his LAST year of his current contract, and will likely look for the big $$$ this coming offseason? So are you saying we should just fork over a #1 draft pick to a guy who's not even guaranteed to be with us beyond this year?

When your so close it might be worth it.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Boysboy;2306077 said:

Jerry is not stupid despite the clamor to the contrary. He would require RW to sign a contract they would lock him up for a reasonable amt of time before forking over a high pick.

Boysboy

Reaction score
jobberone;2306087 said:
Jerry is not stupid despite the clamor to the contrary. He would require RW to sign a contract they would lock him up for a reasonable amt of time before forking over a high pick.

Assuming SS Roy's days are numbered here, Safety is a position we need to address in next year's draft. And we also need to address the OL with Flo getting long in the tooth, and Columbo being an UFA next year.

Relax, everyone-we'll be fine. I think we'll be major contenders this year, but if we come up short, it's not like it's the end of the world. It's not "do or die" this year like Randy Galloway keeps saying.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Boysboy;2306077 said:

you think Jerry would trade a #1 and not have this guy locked up long term

Yah-now that is foolish :bang2:

Boysboy

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2306119 said:
you think Jerry would trade a #1 and not have this guy locked up long term

Yah-now that is foolish :bang2:

Either way, we need more future help at safety, on the OL, and MAYBE even at corner(what if Newman keeps getting injured, and he's over 30 now, and Henry will be an UFA as well). Heck, we could use a LB with our #1 pick as well b/c I doubt Zach will last another year beyond this, and Carp, of course, will be in the broadcasting booth where he belongs next year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Spectre;2306068 said:
Yesterday I put the chances we acquire him via trade before October 14th at 70/30. I think there is a very real chance.

That GM is now gone.

There have already been discussions about acquiring him from before the Draft. Detroit called us. Also don't forget that Jerry himself basically admitted at one point that Williams is the guy we would target.

It's poker. Timing is everything. Detroit most likely will be 0-4 after this weekend and they have a new trilogy of people doing the job as GM. They have to rebuild.

That means draft picks.

The player most likely to bring them some draft picks is Roy Williams.

They will not re-sign him to a long term deal. They have not even made him an offer. If they Franchise tag him and no one accepts their asking price they are screwed.

They won't roll the dice that way unless they have no other choice.

70/30 and rising. If Detroit loses to Chicago I put the odds at 80/20. Next up would be at Minnesota. If they go 0-5 before the trade deadline the odds are 90/10.

No team is going to make a deal with them unless they can sign him long term. Long term he has two options that he has made very clear.

1. Stay with the team that Drafted him.

2. Go home to Texas.

It's poker. Patience will pay off.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Boysboy;2306123 said:
Either way, we need more future help at safety, on the OL, and MAYBE even at corner(what if Newman keeps getting injured, and he's over 30 now, and Henry will be an UFA as well). Heck, we could use a LB with our #1 pick as well b/c I doubt Zach will last another year beyond this, and Carp, of course, will be in the broadcasting booth where he belongs next year.

I don't see us bringing in another CB despite Newman's lingering groin injury. OL is foreseeable same with LB and we might even pick up an OLB. So i could easily see us drafting an OT,OG,ILB,OLB maybe not in that order but year. Also we could be looking for DE's and DT"s depending on how Canty and Johnson look this year.

Gordon

Reaction score
Boysboy;2306077 said:

He's from Texas and has said multiple times he wants to play for the Cowboys.. I don't think signing him long term will be an issue.

Spectre

Reaction score
Hostile;2306136 said:
Yesterday I put the chances we acquire him via trade before October 14th at 70/30. I think there is a very real chance.

That GM is now gone.

There have already been discussions about acquiring him from before the Draft. Detroit called us. Also don't forget that Jerry himself basically admitted at one point that Williams is the guy we would target.

It's poker. Timing is everything. Detroit most likely will be 0-4 after this weekend and they have a new trilogy of people doing the job as GM. They have to rebuild.

That means draft picks.

The player most likely to bring them some draft picks is Roy Williams.

They will not re-sign him to a long term deal. They have not even made him an offer. If they Franchise tag him and no one accepts their asking price they are screwed.

They won't roll the dice that way unless they have no other choice.

70/30 and rising. If Detroit loses to Chicago I put the odds at 80/20. Next up would be at Minnesota. If they go 0-5 before the trade deadline the odds are 90/10.

No team is going to make a deal with them unless they can sign him long term. Long term he has two options that he has made very clear.

1. Stay with the team that Drafted him.

2. Go home to Texas.

It's poker. Patience will pay off.
I like your optimism Hos. But my fear is that Jerry Jones takes the same "you need me more than I need you" approach to Detroit and thus, nothing happens.

Guess we'll see.

(for the record, I was talking about signing RW long-term in a trade, not giving up a 1st for 10 games of his services)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Saturday, October 4, 2008
Lions' Williams doesn't anticipate trade

Receiver says he doesn't want to go, and he isn't sure what he would bring Lions on the open market.

John Niyo / The Detroit News

ALLEN PARK -- Roy Williams isn't quite sure what to expect at Ford Field on Sunday, when the Lions face the Bears in the first home game since last week's firing of team president Matt Millen.

"I've been wondering what the fans are gonna say now," Williams said. "If things were to get out of hand, who are they gonna fire now? They can't say 'Fire Millen' no more. So I'm wondering what the new chant is gonna be."

Trade Roy?

Well, he's aware that's a possibility with the Oct. 14 trade deadline looming. Martin Mayhew, who has assumed Millen's general manager duties, said last week he had no plans to shop the Lions' fifth-year receiver. But that hasn't stopped the trade speculation about Williams, who is in the final year of his contract.

"Everybody has their opinion," Williams said, smiling. "That's fine. I have my opinion. That's why I love this country. I don't know what the percentage of fans is that really doesn't want me here, or (how many) just want to trade me -- knowing I'm good enough to be here -- just to get more players in.

"But I feel like I've done enough for this football team and for this community to be here and be loved. You know, because all I want to do is win."

Still, with all the losing the Lions have done lately, it's possible -- though hardly likely -- that Sunday could be Williams' last home game at Ford Field.
"You know what? I never thought about that until you just said it," Williams said Friday. "But I don't think (it will be). I hope it's not. But you never know. Somebody will have to make a business decision."

Williams, the Lions' in-house fantasy football guru, was asked if he'd trade himself for a first-round pick from, say, the Cowboys.

"For this organization?" he said. "I don't know, man. I don't even know if I'm worth a first-round pick, to be honest. That's what the fans don't understand. I might be a second- or third-round pick."

He's currently a second option in the Lions' passing game. But that's something he has said repeatedly he doesn't mind, playing opposite Calvin Johnson, last year's No. 2 overall pick who already is among the NFL's emerging young stars. Johnson has 17 catches this season and has been targeted about twice as many times as Williams (32 to 18) in the first three games.

"I've got eight catches in three ballgames," said Williams, who has eight receptions for 113 yards and a touchdown. "That's not very good. At all. I just want to help this team win, man. And I don't feel that three catches a game is gonna help this team win. If we were 3-0 (or) 2-1, you wouldn't hear me say a word. But we're 0-3 and I get five balls a game. Throw No. 11 the ball and see what happens."

That might happen Sunday as the Lions alter their approach on offense. Quarterback Jon Kitna said Friday he expects more three wide-receiver sets against the Bears, something offensive coordinator Jim Colletto also seemed to acknowledge Thursday when he vowed to be more aggressive with the play-calling.

Earlier this week, Williams was asked about his future on a conference call with Chicago reporters.

"My plans are to finish out this season," said Williams, who is in the final year of his contract. "I know the trade deadline is coming up in two weeks, I believe. My mind-set is I'm going to be a Detroit Lion for the next 13 weeks."

Told Friday some interpreted that to mean he expected to be playing elsewhere next season, Williams was surprised.

"Oh, my gosh," he said, shaking his head. "We've got 13 more weeks to play. The fans will take it how they want to take it. I'm here. I want to be here. Some people don't want me here.

"That's just the way it is."

es22

Reaction score
Jerry should offer a #2 that upgrades to a #1 if Dallas makes it to the Super bowl.

seeing that Roy doesnt want to be there, this should be enough.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
jerry jones probably sees it as we have him for free in the off season including our first round draft pick, making us that much better next year. only problem is we're still gonna have to bid on him, and he'll get a lot more on the open market, than in a trade.

but imagine what we could be on offense (Especially in the future)if we draft a wr in the 1st, and get roy williams.

Detroit would be foolish if they didn't trade him now. He is losing value every week. And they need to be looking long term, and he can help them long term by trading him for someone who they can keep beyond this year.