Will Jerry Limit Pollard for leverage?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Let me explain this to everybody...……...POLLARD IS NOT AS GOOD AS ZEKE!!!!

If a RB drafted in the 4th round is as good as a RB drafted 4th overall, then this team has made a huge mistake in talent evaluation.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
tenor.gif
What are you laughing about? Are you that confident the Cowboys can't win with Pollard?

BHendri5

Reaction score
Did I miss some important information did Jerry Pull an Al Davis and start coaching his own team I thought Jason Garrett was the coach

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Pollard is getting plenty of reps in practice. Percentage-wise, not missing much if held out of preseason games.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Come real game day, Pollard is going to see something he's never seen before, a NFL D dedicated to shutting down the run and forcing the game into the QB's hands. His ability as a receiver may be more crucial than a RB.

I am really looking forward to seeing just how Kellen the Young uses sets and motion to try and beat 8 or 9 man fronts. Pollard is likely to see a lot more of that because he doesn't scare DC's yet.

Booger's biggest waste of time will be trying to use any of these RB's to get Elliott to come in. They should not try to replace Elliott's production with another back, replace that with receivers and show they can play today's NFL game.

Elliott isn't going to be watching the backup RB's, he's going to be watching the QB without him as well as the D without his clock eating ways. Until it is proven that the QB can play without the RB1, he cannot.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Come real game day, Pollard is going to see something he's never seen before, a NFL D dedicated to shutting down the run and forcing the game into the QB's hands. His ability as a receiver may be more crucial than a RB.

I am really looking forward to seeing just how Kellen the Young uses sets and motion to try and beat 8 or 9 man fronts. Pollard is likely to see a lot more of that because he doesn't scare DC's yet.

Booger's biggest waste of time will be trying to use any of these RB's to get Elliott to come in. They should not try to replace Elliott's production with another back, replace that with receivers and show they can play today's NFL game.

Elliott isn't going to be watching the backup RB's, he's going to be watching the QB without him as well as the D without his clock eating ways. Until it is proven that the QB can play without the RB1, he cannot.
I'm hoping this is a Prescott friendly offense. That means turn him loose trust in him open the game up.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm hoping this is a Prescott friendly offense. That means turn him loose trust in him open the game up.
That would go a long way with getting some on this board more amenable to him being QB1.

If Prescott can show he doesn't need Elliott to move the ball, score points and win games then Elliott holding out would be a good thing. But if he struggles and they would somehow lose to the Giants or Skins, it's freak out time at the Star. I am sure they put W's beside those two games when the schedule came out.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Once again.....

Pollard has NEVER been a lead back before. Memphis had two other guys that carried the ball more than him.

He's a third-down back who can also play out of the slot.
Well we may soon see if he is or not. There’s been other RBs who split carries in college or were the backup and had been decent in the pros. I believe Kamara is the most recent one.

erod

Reaction score
Well we may soon see if he is or not. There’s been other RBs who split carries in college or were the backup and had been decent in the pros. I believe Kamara is the most recent one.
They didn't draft him for that.

The Cowboys loved Lance Dunbar. They had all sorts of plays designed specifically for him. They've been looking for a guy to fill that type of role on this team.

Dunbar simply couldn't stay healthy. They want Pollard to be Dunbar without the injuries.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They didn't draft him for that.

The Cowboys loved Lance Dunbar. They had all sorts of plays designed specifically for him. They've been looking for a guy to fill that type of role on this team.

Dunbar simply couldn't stay healthy. They want Pollard to be Dunbar without the injuries.
Yep and he wasn't the starter for Memphis, if he is RB1 in this game, what a debut.

The question is how will the OC design the game plan without a power back at RB1. Rookie OC with a rookie RB, should be interesting.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let me explain this to everybody...……...POLLARD IS NOT AS GOOD AS ZEKE!!!!

If a RB drafted in the 4th round is as good as a RB drafted 4th overall, then this team has made a huge mistake in talent evaluation.
Since the 4th overall pick has proven that talent, if the 4th round pick is just as good it would seem the Cowboys have actually done a great job identifying and drafting him.

Odds are against it though.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Since the 4th overall pick has proven that talent, if the 4th round pick is just as good it would seem the Cowboys have actually done a great job identifying and drafting him.

Odds are against it though.

The 4th overall pick hasn't proven it?

erod

Reaction score
Yep and he wasn't the starter for Memphis, if he is RB1 in this game, what a debut.

The question is how will the OC design the game plan without a power back at RB1. Rookie OC with a rookie RB, should be interesting.

RB1 will be Alfred Morris if Zeke isn't here.

Right now, our running backs have a combine 6 carries in the NFL if you don't count Morris.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only way Zeke loses any leverage in this standoff will happen in the regular season if the Cowboys go 3-0 to start the season. Zeke doesn’t do much in preseason anyway. But if the Cowboys go 1-2 to start the season, Zeke’s leverage will be even greater.

Until the regular season hits, preseason means ZERO. We don’t really know what Pollard truly is until we see him against starters in a regular season game. Defensive Coordinators do NOT game plan for any one in ps. They run their base defense about 90% of the time and may do something unusual only in spots to measure players they are looking at. Preseason and practices only give us a small glimpse into what a player truly is.

Too many of us fans overreact to the preseason hype thrown out there. I like Tony Pollard a lot. But if he’s our starting RB to start this season we should not expect an offensive juggernaut out of the gate. And as has been mentioned a lot on many threads, Pollard is not a bell cow, every down back. He was not drafted to be that.

Zeke has plenty of leverage right now despite the hype being thrown down by the Jones family about Pollard being the “star of camp”. Let’s tap the brakes on that a little.

Jerry is a better salesman than GM.

aikemirv

Reaction score
leveon bell held out at Pittsburgh. but connor, the next man up did so well the steelers were able to ignore bell. if pollard is able to pick up the slack here, it will make zeke's value less than previously perceived. this is the issue. the better pollard does, the worse for zeke. ergo, no sense risking injury to him in preseason games.

I would say the better the team does, the worse for Zeke. If Pollard gets 3 - 100 yard games and we lose all 3, Zeke has the same leverage

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was recently seen in the maintenance room giving instruction to the janitorial staff.
No joke- several years ago, (maybe 7-10) I read an article about Jerry actually taking time to select the hot dogs that would be sold in the new “stayjum”. He truly meant it in ‘89 when he bought the team and said he would be involved with everything to socks and jocks.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No joke- several years ago, (maybe 7-10) I read an article about Jerry actually taking time to select the hot dogs that would be sold in the new “stayjum”. He truly meant it in ‘89 when he bought the team and said he would be involved with everything to socks and jocks.
He wore a different jock strap every day for a week to test them out. Then he chose the one from the salesman that gave him the biggest kickback.