Will Jones fire McCarthey and Nolan?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He might. He won’t want to, and he probably won’t pull the trigger, but this mess is hard to watch. And it’s hard to sell the idea that it’s going to get better before it gets worse.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No. I doubt either gets fired this year. Possible nolan is forced to move on but doubtful. Noway he fires Mike after 1 year riddled with injuries.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
McCarthy will not be fired this year. Firing the HC after a season where the team has been so destroyed by injuries not to mention in the midst of a pandemic and an upset season with no preseason would be a total knee jerk reaction.
Nolan? Don't know, but it's a possibility.
Kellen Moore? I can only wish. I was against keeping Moore to begin with, he should've left with Garrett, and he should NOT be calling plays.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My plat:
If Jerry fires McCarthy, the Arkansas wildcatter would admit he mistook a clown for a coach.
Jerry will give the fat clown another year and will continue to stroke and coddle and leer at his pet Killen Moore.

mr Gimme--i must say it appears you are gifted in how to reach in and tear my cowboy heart out......hehehehe j/k of course

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They really dont go beyond injury and covid. Other than some of the players sucking that didnt get hurt. One can point to several super blunders by MM and the coaching staff, however none of those change the course of this season. Not by a long shot.

There is 100% no way that the coaches get fired. For me, Moore and the special teams coach are the only guys I would have reservations about firing.

Mr. Roy-- very interesting point of view

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
raw

big dog--ha ha ha that is funny...like not only No but hell No

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
dear fellow fanzone freaks---- please enter your honest opinion and vote..."Will Jones at some point

fire McCarthey and Nolan this year or offseason 2021?....our issues go far beyond Covid and injuries

thanks
GORICO

Nope, I think Fat Mike gets a pass for 2020 for the following reasons.

1. Massive amounts of injuries, including the starting QB. Almost every team that loses their starting QB misses the playoffs, see the Steelers from last year as an example.

2. I know we are not suppose to mention it here, but there is a global pandemic going on right now and that dramatically affected the offseason plan, training camp, preseason, virtually everything had to be done virtually.

3. Its the first year under a new head coach, he needs to be given time to build his program and it is kinda a dick move to fire a new staff after just one year, that is what the Browns do.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Absolutely not. I hate McDouble. Never wantd him. But he has had absolutely no chance this season. 1. Covid off-season was literally worst possible scenario. 2. This team wasnt that good to start with. 3. these injuries are insane

These guys deserve a real chance

Swanny-- interesting take...it would seem my deep frustation and anger wants to put blame and put hurt on McCarthey.....most all of his trick plays he signs off on dont work...now i did love the squib on-side kick in week 2

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Nolan and Moore are both on the hot seat, IMO. McCarthy is safe....for now. I would mention Fassel, but there's no question he should be canned. The ST's absolutely suck, and all his gadget fakes are completely worthless.

For Moore and Nolan, Moore maybe a bit more on the hot seat than Nolan, I'd wager. Not only does Nolan have a reputation, the problems with the defense are more player-related whereas the problems on offense are more coaching-related.

Yes, the offense has suffered more injuries, but that's where coaching comes into play. I'm a huge Kellen fan and I want him to succeed, but I don't think he has any sort of feel for the flow of the game. He calls a game that is going well just like he calls a game that is going poorly. I hate to say it, but he has a bit of Jason Garrett's "line up and win" mentality. Stupidest approach ever because it basically discounts coaching all together. Who on this forum couldn't succeed if their players simply won every battle?
  • 1st & Goal on the 4, and he calls a lame read option that nobody is going to buy with Dalton as QB.
  • 2nd & Goal from the 6, and he calls an end-around pass that loses 4 yards.
  • 3rd $ Goal, it's a pass. I have no problem here, and would have accepted it as the first down play.
That said, the first 2 plays pretty much sealed his fate for me. He was moving away from what the team is built around, and that is power running. I don't care if OL are out, you have a $100M back. You run it 3 straight times and accept whatever outcome happens. At bare minimum, you pass on 1st and run the ball after that. If $100M can't get you 4 yards on 2-3 attempts then that player isn't worth $100M. He had all the momentum in the world after a huge turnover. Your team is pumped and has the momentum. Line up under center and run the damn ball.

Moore should have a pink slip this offseason. Nolan gets another chance. Fassel should have a pink slip right now.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The bigger question is not "if" or even "when" they will both be fired.

It's "what's taking them so long"?????

BAT--OK...now following along with that view...what do you think the reason is for waiting so long?

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think both will be gone in the offseason. Injuries are one thing but there's just decisions in the game that make no sense. I think the failed 4th down from our 20 in a game that was still competitive was the deal breaker.

total agreement

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Nope, I think Fat Mike gets a pass for 2020 for the following reasons.

1. Massive amounts of injuries, including the starting QB. Almost every team that loses their starting QB misses the playoffs, see the Steelers from last year as an example.

2. I know we are not suppose to mention it here, but there is a global pandemic going on right now and that dramatically affected the offseason plan, training camp, preseason, virtually everything had to be done virtually.

3. Its the first year under a new head coach, he needs to be given time to build his program and it is kinda a dick move to fire a new staff after just one year, that is what the Browns do.

i can see some of your ponts...but how does any of these cause fat MM to continually sign off on stupid?.....that seems more a character defect than mere need for more experience with team?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Just because we get a couple of stops a game, doesn't mean this offense is starting to click. It's horrible. We should seriously consider raising our expectations if we want to ever win a Super Bowl. We need a defense that can get stops regularly, make turnovers regularly, and get to the damn QB.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Jones doesnt make what I think he would consider a knee jerk action. Look at his patterns

John813

Reaction score
Ha, Jerry firing a coach early. Good stuff.

What is disappointing to some degree is that the coaches were cleared out, minus a few, and it's 2015 all over again once the QB went down.
Sure, not many teams will have a winning record when that happens but we are Jets/Jags level bad right now.
We even had a decent backup in Dalton this time around compared to Weeden/Casserole/Boy Wonder.
And worlds better talent at WR compared to Dez and his one good foot.

So, either our head coach is just as bad, or the stench from the Jones is too much to over come. Or both.

And the questions on defense that most wondered about are still unsolved. Diggs played better towards the end, but his big game was against the putrid Eagles. Linebackers are still average at best, and only Wilson has made some splash plays.