Will Kris Richard’s Success End Garrett’s Era in Dallas?

conner01

Reaction score
Can someone explain the Kris Richard infatuation to me?

Our D is playing well, but it’s not like we’re doing anything out of the ordinary in terms of scheme. We don’t blitz a ton because we get great pressure with our DL. Why is Richard getting all of the credit for that? Just because he’s the loud, emotional guy? It’s still Marinelli’s defense.

If there’s something I’m missing, I’m all ears. I don’t get it.
I think his technique has helped DB’s but the biggest thing is talent
Our young guys are developing and Jones is back where he belongs
Plus the Dline is getting pressure and LB’s are playing great which is mostly about talent

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score

Our D is playing well, but it’s not like we’re doing anything out of the ordinary in terms of scheme. We don’t blitz a ton because we get great pressure with our DL. Why is Richard getting all of the credit for that? Just because he’s the loud, emotional guy? It’s still Marinelli’s defense.

He ended the Jones at safety fiasco and it's turned him into a Pro-Bowl caliber player, so he has that going for him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Booger will have to make him DC and overpay for the position as he did to keep Garrett. He is not firing Garrett to hire Richard as HC. And he doesn't have the play that Garrett will be retiring soon so he could step up.

If you are Richard, you weigh a HC position against DC on a team with a damned good D and the probability of making it even better in order to keep Richard.

The fact is there are 20-25% of the HC gigs up every season, not like the window will close on him any time soon. He can bide his time for the right opportunity and use his collateral with the Cowboys to improve his D. He's got a bird's nest on the ground and the old crow will pay to keep him.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Clearly, Kris Richard is making a name for himself. If we as fans are noticing, I assure you NFL teams will do so too. The 'Boys must keep Richard on the team. They shouldn't let him walk after he's played such an important role in the performance of one of the best defenses in the NFL today.

If the 'Boys are to keep him though, leaving him at his current job will surely not be enough. We're talking about a guy who'll be getting a lot of phone calls once the season is over. Some of those calls will probably be for defensive coordinator openings and some might be about head coach openings.

Jerry hit the ball out of the park by acquiring Richard. Let's see if he'll announce the "big splash" by hiring Richard as the new HC at the end of the season. If so, this team will be going to the SB very soon.

This question has been asked many times in many ways. Ok, as fans let's be hopeful that the Cowboys win the east and a playoff spot. Will an NFC east win and a playoff game keep JG's job? Scott Linnehan,s? If it does why are we hopeful for an NFC east first place finish and a playoff game? Is dumping the HC or OC precedent to losing?Personally, I'm gonna wait and see how the last 4 games unfold before predicting anything about the HC or OC's job status.

Marinelli yep, I'll go out on a limb today and say he retires BUT as you say Richard will be on the radar of many teams given the Rooney Rule and given the fact that his defenses have had success in Seattle along with Dallas. Based on this years records alone, Atlanta, Carolina and Tampa may be eyeing new HC's in the NFC where Richard has much of his experience against the same opponents.

Just a thought but I would say the Cowboys penchant for disappointing the fan base alone would answer that question for ya. See Dak, Dez, Romo not to mention 8 years of JG. Did I miss anyone? Stay tuned and get ya popcorn out:popcorn:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He gets credit for the improved secondary play because that's what he got credit for in SEA. I've been stumped as you have because SEA was rebuilding their D, particularly their secondary, and elected not to keep him. That one still puzzles me as Carroll is a D minded HC.

However, if Marinelli is going to step down, as rumored, he's worth a shot as DC and has Marinelli's blessing. And he can be Garrett's Ernie Stautner like Landry had, fire and ice.

phildadon86

Reaction score
completely agree
I think that is 100 percent what happens. Marinelli was considering retirement and we were going to make Eberflus the DC. So i think this happens. And I also think Richard takes the asst HC position as well. See how Garrett likes it. lol

doomsday808

Reaction score
Does anyone know the terms of his contract? If someone offers him a bigger/higher profile job somewhere else. I'm thinking he's gone!

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Marinelli retires after this season, and Richard takes over. I'd be willing to bet that was part of the deal when Richard came on board.
Actually, yes it was. Marinelli did say this was his last year before he retires. But things change, so I guess we will have to wait and see. Richard wants to develop this defensive unit, not just coach it. He wouldn't have come here if he didn't see great potential. I don't think he is going anywhere. He is a genius at developing young, raw yet potential defenses that fit his niche.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Nope, just another quality coach we will lose for a bigger opportunity (Payton, Zimmer, etc.), while we are continually stuck with Red.
I remember when half the people on this board were members of the GROZ (get rid of Zimmer) movement. Now he's considered "one that got away". Funny how that works.

conner01

Reaction score
I think that is 100 percent what happens. Marinelli was considering retirement and we were going to make Eberflus the DC. So i think this happens. And I also think Richard takes the asst HC position as well. See how Garrett likes it. lol
Even if rod doesn’t retire I doubt titles means much to him so I suspect kris will be DC next year either way
I suspect that’s why he came here

DHCBF66

Reaction score
This defense was ranked #8 overall last season with Skandrick, Awuzie (rookie), Brown, Heath, Lewis (rookie) and Woods (rookie). Jones was playing out of position at safety. Other than moving Jones back to corner and inheriting some really young talent Richards has proved nothing! LVE is an outstanding pick, Jaylon is 90% healthy, Richards landed in the right place at the right time!

cern

Reaction score

Then why weren't we this good last year without richard? He was Seahawks dc in 2015 and they were first in the NFL in points allowed. Clearly we're better with him..

Eddie

Reaction score
What's the difference who our HC is?

Jerry's still in charge.

Nav22

Reaction score
Then why weren't we this good last year without richard? He was Seahawks dc in 2015 and they were first in the NFL in points allowed. Clearly we're better with him..
And the Seahawks let him go after 2017, right?

Correlation doesn’t imply causation. I was looking tor actual proof or more knowledge about the real changes he’s brought.

renny

Reaction score
  1. This is a thread that was posted earlier today and is LITERALLY still on the front page.
  2. Being a great defensive backs coach doesn't make you a great head coach. Firing a coach who may deliver an 11-5 season (though 10-6 or 9-7 is more likely) to keep and promote a defensive backs coach to HC is asinine.
  3. Very good chance Marinelli walks and his promoted to DC.
  4. Suggest you go look at Todd Bowles who was the hottest DC in the league and then made the head coach by the Jets.
Without this defensive back coach, Garrett is a .500 coach. His record prior to Richard says so.