Will Kris Richard’s Success End Garrett’s Era in Dallas?

visionary

Reaction score
Clearly, Kris Richard is making a name for himself. If we as fans are noticing, I assure you NFL teams will do so too. The 'Boys must keep Richard on the team. They shouldn't let him walk after he's played such an important role in the performance of one of the best defenses in the NFL today.

If the 'Boys are to keep him though, leaving him at his current job will surely not be enough. We're talking about a guy who'll be getting a lot of phone calls once the season is over. Some of those calls will probably be for defensive coordinator openings and some might be about head coach openings.

Jerry hit the ball out of the park by acquiring Richard. Let's see if he'll announce the "big splash" by hiring Richard as the new HC at the end of the season. If so, this team will be going to the SB very soon.

Big difference between being a good coordinator and being a good HC

Just because Garrett sucks at both does not mean Richard will be great at both

visionary

Reaction score
He's Marinelli's replacement unless he takes a HC gig instead. And he's not displacing Jason Garrett as much as people want for him to.

Yeah
Use actual performance as the basis for promotion or demotion?
That's totally crazy!!
We just don't do that in cowboys land

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Marinelli retires after this season, and Richard takes over. I'd be willing to bet that was part of the deal when Richard came on board.
Teams will approach Richard as a HC. It’s gonna be impossible not to give him at least the DC job and that may not be enough.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I like Richard, but this is a Marinelli defense. Don't give Richard all the credit for what Pa Pa built.

i understand what you are saying, but that defensive back is playing better and Rod isnt getting all he can with what hes getting. So yes, i personally credit Richard because this defense is playing at an elite standard in 1 year with him. Rod still doesnt like to get at the qb and hopefully that will change next year.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
NO, he will not cost JG is job. He may cost Scott L his job though. I think Jerry likes the youth and fire of the D and it's obvious that Richard has played a big part in that. Sorta reminds me of the Seattle D a few years back :) So I think Jerry will want that same youth and fire on the O side of the ball to match the D side and will go get an O coordinator that can bring it. But Garrett is not going anywhere, nor should he. Sorry I know that fans want Garrett gone but it's just not going to happen.

Reaction score
Clearly, Kris Richard is making a name for himself. If we as fans are noticing, I assure you NFL teams will do so too. The 'Boys must keep Richard on the team. They shouldn't let him walk after he's played such an important role in the performance of one of the best defenses in the NFL today.

If the 'Boys are to keep him though, leaving him at his current job will surely not be enough. We're talking about a guy who'll be getting a lot of phone calls once the season is over. Some of those calls will probably be for defensive coordinator openings and some might be about head coach openings.

Jerry hit the ball out of the park by acquiring Richard. Let's see if he'll announce the "big splash" by hiring Richard as the new HC at the end of the season. If so, this team will be going to the SB very soon.

Richard's parachuting into this team situation is similar to Dak showing up in 2016,,, just in time to reap the benefits of a well built roster. Thanks Clay, Thanks Marinelli. Thanks Red. :cool:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah
Use actual performance as the basis for promotion or demotion?
That's totally crazy!!
We just don't do that in cowboys land

Replacing Marinelli is a promotion. Did you have a point beyond forgetting that? You want him to get two promotions, based off of your guess as to how much of the defensive improvement he's responsible for because you saw him yelling on camera a few times and remember he threw down with a player in pregame the way a real coach ought to?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

he will probably be the DC in dallas..... marinelli is probably going to retire as there were rumors last year

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

I think thisis Marrinelli's last year.

Then Richards gets to call the entire defence front to back.

Then we see what he can do.

The Cowboys will probably elevate him to assistant HC and DC, too.

Then next year he will have to succeed to get the offers.

Hold off on the anointing oils for now.

jnday

Reaction score
Can someone explain the Kris Richard infatuation to me?

Our D is playing well, but it’s not like we’re doing anything out of the ordinary in terms of scheme. We don’t blitz a ton because we get great pressure with our DL. Why is Richard getting all of the credit for that? Just because he’s the loud, emotional guy? It’s still Marinelli’s defense.

If there’s something I’m missing, I’m all ears. I don’t get it.
Marinelli has had several years to improve the defense, but he had very little results. Richard comes in and there is instant improvement. Rod was s bad hire with an outdated defensive scheme. Richard has updated the defense since day one.

cern

Reaction score
And the Seahawks let him go after 2017, right?

Correlation doesn’t imply causation. I was looking tor actual proof or more knowledge about the real changes he’s brought.
Pete Carroll was playing cya. As far as proof just open your eyes.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can someone explain the Kris Richard infatuation to me?

Our D is playing well, but it’s not like we’re doing anything out of the ordinary in terms of scheme. We don’t blitz a ton because we get great pressure with our DL. Why is Richard getting all of the credit for that? Just because he’s the loud, emotional guy? It’s still Marinelli’s defense.

If there’s something I’m missing, I’m all ears. I don’t get it.
Good question. Isn't he calling the Defensive plays?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I heard that Jerry convinced Marinelli to not retire and come coach for the Cowboys; that was several years ago.

keysersoze

Reaction score
Most fans wanted Payton and zimmer gone lol
Not really. Some thought he’d succeed and take over after Parcells retired. I was confused as to why JJ didn’t pay Sean as the highest paid OC by outbidding New Orleans and then promoting him later. There’s no salary cap on coaching. That’s what confused and frustrated me.

rpntex

Reaction score

First of all, Garrett isn’t going anywhere. I believe he’s done enough in the last month to ensure that he’s back for 2019.

marinelli, on the other hand, will most likely retire. Richard will be promoted to defensive coordinator, along with the title of “assistant head coach“ - along with a healthy pay increase. He may easily be the highest paid assistant coach in football, making more than some head coaches around the league.