Will McClay, best GM in the NFL to never win a ring to date?

Rayman70

Reaction score
I am going to say, HELL YES. This man has hit on a very high percentage of picks and UDFA'S over the last 7 years.Yes he IS the GM. He may not carry that title, but he IS the GM. I went back 2 just 2014 and looked. Its pretty incredible.For all the grief we raz Jerry with and Stephen too, we must note that he knows how to hire and find football guys that have an eye for talent. We must admit that. Looks like 2021 might be the perfect storm to make a very deep run. There's been a clear plan in place. I can see that now.Thoughts?

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Yes he is. And he is the GM, don't care about how Jerry labels himself and others. Just wish he had override on Jerry and the coaches to draft who he wants. Imagine TJ Watt on this team.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Too many voices in the war room can result in bad picks. Remember the guy jumping for joy when Joey Ivey was picked. But over all, they haven't done a bad job.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Quinn deserves some credit for this year's draft as well, It wasn't all McClay. Just saying. ;)

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Steve Kiem?
Les Snead?
John Lynch?
Brandon Beane?
Eric DeCosta?

We all know they should give McClay the GM title. If he was available other teams would go after him as was the case in the past. But those 5 guys above have gotten much closer to a ring more often and/or recently and have totally remodelled their teams.

I think McClay clearly deserves consideration. He clearly deals with a unique structure that may or may not hinder his work. If he didn’t like it so much, which I think he does, he could have left a few years back.

Kudos to McClay but, there’s an unbiased argument to be made here.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I am going to say, HELL YES. This man has hit on a very high percentage of picks and UDFA'S over the last 7 years.Yes he IS the GM. He may not carry that title, but he IS the GM. I went back 2 just 2014 and looked. Its pretty incredible.For all the grief we raz Jerry with and Stephen too, we must note that he knows how to hire and find football guys that have an eye for talent. We must admit that. Looks like 2021 might be the perfect storm to make a very deep run. There's been a clear plan in place. I can see that now.Thoughts?

Oh yah, he is known for hiring football goofs like Garrett that know talent?

NO freaking way!!!!

J_Allen

Reaction score
If we had given Jason Garrett 10 more years he would have a ring.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Oh yah, he is known for hiring football goofs like Garrett that know talent?

NO freaking way!!!!
he didnt hire him. He wasn't in that role at the time. That was all Jerry and Stevie. Your welcome. Nice try but you lose.
R.919573574580de0421d6b22fbaad1723

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hard to say but his biggest flaw was caving to what Marinelli wanted. Production over combine stats, always.

adamknite

Reaction score
Too many voices in the war room can result in bad picks. Remember the guy jumping for joy when Joey Ivey was picked. But over all, they haven't done a bad job.

Good lord.... He didn't jump for joy.
He fist pumped twice and everybody acted like he was uncorking champagne bottles for some reason.

Hardline

Reaction score
I must have missed the memo that Will McClay was promoted to GM.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes he is. And he is the GM, don't care about how Jerry labels himself and others. Just wish he had override on Jerry and the coaches to draft who he wants. Imagine TJ Watt on this team.

"Yes he is the GM. I just wish he could draft who he wants."

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hard to say but his biggest flaw was caving to what Marinelli wanted. Production over combine stats, always.

Dallas was drafting for scheme fit.

The first round is always going to be about who the best athletes are and not necessarily who was the most productive college player.

Nobody is drafting Micah Parsons because his linebacker tape was unbelievable. They draft him because he runs a 4.3 40 at 255 pounds.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dallas was drafting for scheme fit.

The first round is always going to be about who the best athletes are and not necessarily who was the most productive college player.

Nobody is drafting Micah Parsons because his linebacker tape was unbelievable. They draft him because he runs a 4.3 40 at 255 pounds.

And that's why so many 1st rounders suck. Combine should compliment what you see them do in college but only if you actually want them to do it in the pros.