Will McClay, Dakuracy among 5 winners from Cowboys exhibition opener

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ok, here's one for you. Dak completed that preseason TD pass to Gallup last weekend for 39 yards.

Do you know how many 30+ yard touchdown passes Dak had last year?

Two.

And one of them was a short slant to Rod Smith that he took the distance.

Why talk about all of last year. Just go back to talking about the last 8 games. LOL

The point is that you are all dead wrong about Dak's abilities to throw the deep ball. I would argue that he had little to no deep ball threats. I would also argue that a young QB is more likely to take the check down play. The safer play. I would also argue that Garretts crap offense wasnt a deep ball offense.

It appears now they have changed both the receivers and the amount of stuff they want to do down field. But whats the point of arguing with you. You compare a 2nd year QB to Tom Brady in his prime. LOL

erod

Reaction score
Why talk about all of last year. Just go back to talking about the last 8 games. LOL

The point is that you are all dead wrong about Dak's abilities to throw the deep ball. I would argue that he had little to no deep ball threats. I would also argue that a young QB is more likely to take the check down play. The safer play. I would also argue that Garretts crap offense wasnt a deep ball offense.

It appears now they have changed both the receivers and the amount of stuff they want to do down field. But whats the point of arguing with you. You compare a 2nd year QB to Tom Brady in his prime. LOL
We're not dead wrong. This is the criticism from NFL scouts across the league. This is the criticism from his own coaches. That's why they're changing the offense to be more short-pass oriented.

It's never been about simple throws down the sideline that virtually every quarterback can make. It's about deeper balls on more complex reads over the middle into zone coverages.

You have to stop arguing this issue like a 5-year-old.

Of course, Dak CAN complete a ball downfield over the middle every now and then. So can EVERY quarterback. It's just that he does so very rarely, and his throws are wildly inconsistent.

If you can't understand the argument, how can you even discuss it?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We're not dead wrong. This is the criticism from NFL scouts across the league. This is the criticism from his own coaches. That's why they're changing the offense to be more short-pass oriented.

It's never been about simple throws down the sideline that virtually every quarterback can make. It's about deeper balls on more complex reads over the middle into zone coverages.

Of course, Dak CAN complete a ball downfield over the middle every now and then. So can EVERY quarterback. It's just that he does so very rarely, and his throws are wildly inconsistent.

If you can't understand the argument, how can you even discuss it?

What is the criticism? LOL That he is a 2nd year QB that needs to mature and grow? You clearly dont understand the QB position or QB development.

If you listen to all the HOF types like Warner, Aikman, ect...ect... they all agree with me.

Your just too angry and cry baby Romo to see an incredible 2nd year young QB. Not my problem. Just like he has proven you wrong for two years he will continue to do so. Just like alll the cry babies were wrong about Romo and how good he was.

erod

Reaction score
What is the criticism? LOL That he is a 2nd year QB that needs to mature and grow? You clearly dont understand the QB position or QB development.

If you listen to all the HOF types like Warner, Aikman, ect...ect... they all agree with me.

Your just too angry and cry baby Romo to see an incredible 2nd year young QB. Not my problem. Just like he has proven you wrong for two years he will continue to do so. Just like alll the cry babies were wrong about Romo and how good he was.
You do realize that this sentence structure makes you sound like an eight-grade dropout, right? It's etc, not ect. And don't call it a typo because you did it twice. It's you're, not your. Crybaby is one word. When you're trying to insult people, it might work better for you if you can do it in some degree of adult-level English.

You cited Aikman.

Aikman says, "you're either accurate, or you're not. You can't develop accuracy." He's right about that. Former players often save their harshest criticism for a good while, especially for an upstanding and terrific guy like Dak Prescott.

There are things that Dak can do, but throwing bullets downfield on target on deep routes (not sideline routes) is a glaring weakness. He's completes 1 or 2 out of every 5 or 6.

Sure, you can put together a highlight reel. EVERY quarterback has a highlight reel. You can also put together a low-light reel on a quarterback, too. Highlights mean virtually nothing, just like statistics.

The fact is, Dak barely completed a pass beyond 20 yards last year, especially through the air. He doesn't live in that world.

So, they're going to try to win with the run game and defense this year. Makes sense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You do realize that this sentence structure makes you sound like an eight-grade dropout, right? It's etc, not ect. And don't call it a typo because you did it twice. It's you're, not your. Crybaby is one word. When you're trying to insult people, it might work better for you if you can do it in some degree of adult-level English.

You cited Aikman.

Aikman says, "you're either accurate, or you're not. You can't develop accuracy." He's right about that. Former players often save their harshest criticism for a good while, especially for an upstanding and terrific guy like Dak Prescott.

There are things that Dak can do, but throwing bullets downfield on target on deep routes (not sideline routes) is a glaring weakness. He's completes 1 or 2 out of every 5 or 6.

Sure, you can put together a highlight reel. EVERY quarterback has a highlight reel. You can also put together a low-light reel on a quarterback, too. Highlights mean virtually nothing, just like statistics.

The fact is, Dak barely completed a pass beyond 20 yards last year, especially through the air. He doesn't live in that world.

So, they're going to try to win with the run game and defense this year. Makes sense.

If your going to run around and correct typos then get lost.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I know right. I was told by several on here that we are going to rue the day that we did not send several high draft picks to move up 2 spots to draft Wentz.

I think it was a Godsend they got him. Starting caliber QB late in the 4th round just as Romo breaks down. Do these stupid haters understand how lucky the team is? Another 5 years of Clint Stoener, Chad Hutchinson, Quincy Carter, and Drew whatever his name was?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I'm putting you on ignore right now, and you can do the same.

Enjoy the season, and bye.

I finally started using the ignore. Philosophically I hated the idea but I am so happy I started it. Some of these internet commandos need to be choked out. I am too old for garbage these days.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score

lol the sensitivity of some of the posters. You need to go ahead and just state Dak is the best QB ever. Did you see that one throw last week? That one throw should convince you. That one throw that was for a score. That's about it, that one throw.

I don't worry too much about his throws, it's his propensity to panic with pressure. His bad pocket awareness, which cause him to throw late, low or high when pressured. I think he can get the ball where he needs too when he isn't pressured. I hope this year he just runs the ball when he goes into panic mode instead of throwing late, high or bad passes.

oh well

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Will McClay

gettyimages-82070217-e1491515425619.jpg

Just go ahead and name this man GM and get it over with already!!!
I would settle for HC. He couldn't be any worse. lol

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I have said over and over and over and over that Dak can throw deep down the sideline. It's a straight forward throw that requires no read at all beyond one safety.

It's the between-the-numbers area he struggles. Dak is usually about 2 for 5 in that area, where most quarterbacks are 4 for 5.

And that wasn't a good throw for him. Sherman picks that with ease. He usually gets that over the top better.

The writer doesn't understand the criticism of Dak. Of course, this is USA Today, which hits on in about 10% of their stories.
Didn’t you say over and over that Dak couldn’t throw the deep ball? There were no exceptions.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
This is exactly the issue.

Dak doesn't go deep often.

That is why he struggled down the stretch..

Teams took away the dink and dunks and forced Dak to go deep but he , fir whatever reason , didn't do so..

For those that have been paying attention , Dak has always been a gun shy QB even in his college days..

That is the whole issue.

Either Dak learns to trust his arm and slings it down the field when the defense crowds the box , or we will continue to see games like the last 8 games of the year..

You guys need to understand where we are coming from..

Stats mean nothing when we are literally the worst team in deep passes attempted. Do you think opposing defenses don't know this?

It all comes down to Dak taking chances when the defense clogs the box..

Why do you think Tom Brady's WR are always open underneath? Because the minute opposing defenses cheat up , Brady licks his chops and throws an easy TD down the field Wich makes the defense backup and concede the short throws again..

My mind really becomes boggled on how some people can't understand that a one dimensional QB (dinker) won't succeed in this league because the way to keep defenses honest is by going deep..

In other words, if you are ranked last in the league in deep throws , defenses will always have the upper hand . Because they know they can cheat up..

Why do you think Jason "molases" Witten has Hall of Fame numbers?
Because defenses gave him the middle of the field and we're more concerned with getting beat deep. That is what Dak lacks. He needs to start making defenses pay. I don't care if he's 6/8 in the deep passing game , I would rather have a 25/50 QB because I guarantee you the defense won't be so fast to creep up in the box and that will only open up the short passing game and not to mention the running game also..

Defenses don't fear Dak and if that doesn't change , it will be a long year.
The only way defenses will begin to fear Dak is if he starts throwing deep. That's all there is to it.
Excellent post. Dak should be taking a shot deep at minimum 3 times in every game. And deep means a pass in the air longer than 30 yards. Honestly the first play of the game would be the absolute best time to do that. It would set the tone for the rest of the game. I would love to see Dak take a bomb on the first play against Carolina. Even if it fails, I would love to see it. However, I would put all my money in a bet that our first play of the game will be a run play or a short pass.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
There will always be games all QB's take it on the chin. For 24 games, Dak was MVP type play. Then the Oline and Zeke went out. Not difficult analysis.

Zeke had 20 yards in Denver. Does he suck too?
No Zeke doesn't suck. What sucks is Linehan and Garrett. Why is it that they cannot see that Dak prefers to throw underneath and defenses know this so they get closer to the line. This makes it tougher to run against and tougher to complete the underneath passes. It does however make it EASIER to complete deep passes. That is if you have the ability to do so. If Dak has the ability to throw deep as many here say, then the problem HAS TO REST ON LINEHAN or GARRETT right? They are always a day late and a dollar short. Please get rid of these 2 boobuses.

TWOK11

Reaction score
I have said over and over and over and over that Dak can throw deep down the sideline. It's a straight forward throw that requires no read at all beyond one safety.

It's the between-the-numbers area he struggles. Dak is usually about 2 for 5 in that area, where most quarterbacks are 4 for 5.

And that wasn't a good throw for him. Sherman picks that with ease. He usually gets that over the top better.

The writer doesn't understand the criticism of Dak. Of course, this is USA Today, which hits on in about 10% of their stories.

It’s pretty clear nobody in this or any other universe understands except for you.

You should write a book.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score

Please post stats showing that most QBs are 4 for 5 between the numbers. That sounds absurdly high o_O

In regards to your Sherman comment, you're probably right. If Sherman was covering Gallup, Dak would not have made that throw. However, as you know, football is a game of strategy, and we exploit matchups to give ourselves the best chance to win, hence why we motion receivers/TEs to isolate them with LBs. For reference, see what teams did to Jaylon Smith last year.