CFZ Will McClay is the real GM in the shadows

Acceptablename

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys are very lucky to have Will McClay in their front office. Though McClay doesn’t have the official GM title, in reality he handles most of the actual duties that has made this team’s drafts and roster competitive for playoff glory. I shudder to think what this organization would look like without him.

Without McClay, the Cowboys were wandering in a draft wilderness exemplified by the pitiful Jerry-centric drafts like 2009- one of the worst drafts in NFL history. McClay is the primary architect of the improved. roster building we’ve seen over the last decade. His steady hand in finding talent through all 3 days of the draft speaks for itself. Jerry re-upped McClay’s contract in Jan, 2022 and we should be grateful for that.

The actual duties of a real GM in the NFL is not what Jerry Jones does. All he wants to do is be in the spotlight, look like he’s in charge and talk, talk, talk. It’s his drug of choice. He does a good job with the business side of things obviously. But being an NFL GM requires discipline, hours in film rooms, oversight and coordination of team scouting, and a work ethic requiring a strong commitment. In other words, nothing Jerry or Stephen actually do.

BUT- I’ll give Jerry some of that much craved credit he lives for- he continues to recognize Will McClay’s talent and pays him well to do it. For that, I tip my cap to Jerry. Because without McClay there’s no good rosters in Dallas. Period.

So remember the next time Travon Diggs makes an interception or Micah Parsons dominates or Tony Pollard makes a huge play that Zack Martin and Terrance Steele made the key block for- Will McClay is the man we can actually thank for that.

Will McClay is the real GM in Dallas.
Yeah I think that’s true. Actually it’s indisputable. But I still like and enjoy Jerry Jones and his original it is original nature. I could use a few Super Bowls along the

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
That dude's just an advisor. The real GM is Stephen...he's the one that oversees the cap. But even he has a boss.

Correct!

He is the VP of Player Personnel, which is not a title in every organization.

Basically he is the head talent evaluator, but doesn't have the power of the purse needed to make moves.

This is why we draft well, but don't make great FA moves/trades since they require $$.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys are very lucky to have Will McClay in their front office. Though McClay doesn’t have the official GM title, in reality he handles most of the actual duties that has made this team’s drafts and roster competitive for playoff glory. I shudder to think what this organization would look like without him.

Without McClay, the Cowboys were wandering in a draft wilderness exemplified by the pitiful Jerry-centric drafts like 2009- one of the worst drafts in NFL history. McClay is the primary architect of the improved. roster building we’ve seen over the last decade. His steady hand in finding talent through all 3 days of the draft speaks for itself. Jerry re-upped McClay’s contract in Jan, 2022 and we should be grateful for that.

The actual duties of a real GM in the NFL is not what Jerry Jones does. All he wants to do is be in the spotlight, look like he’s in charge and talk, talk, talk. It’s his drug of choice. He does a good job with the business side of things obviously. But being an NFL GM requires discipline, hours in film rooms, oversight and coordination of team scouting, and a work ethic requiring a strong commitment. In other words, nothing Jerry or Stephen actually do.

BUT- I’ll give Jerry some of that much craved credit he lives for- he continues to recognize Will McClay’s talent and pays him well to do it. For that, I tip my cap to Jerry. Because without McClay there’s no good rosters in Dallas. Period.

So remember the next time Travon Diggs makes an interception or Micah Parsons dominates or Tony Pollard makes a huge play that Zack Martin and Terrance Steele made the key block for- Will McClay is the man we can actually thank for that.

If Jerry finds out that people know this and that Jerry is nothing but a face, he will fire mcclat. He can't have reality over take perception he has built.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
McClay is the GM when it comes to the draft. Most GM's are responsible for coaching decisions along with other things football related and I'm sure McClay is not involved in that....at all. So it's a 3 headed monster. Jerry = coaches, Stephen = FA, McClay = draft. As we've seen, that structure doesn't work.

Pretty much.

McClay is also responsible for pro talent evaluations, but it gets neutered by the guy holding the wallet (Stephen).

kumizi

Reaction score
Will McClay is the head of player evaluation.

He has no control whether Jerry or Stephen follow his evaluations or do something on their own or listen to someone else. See Taco Charlton and Trysten Hill.

Since he’s not the ultimate decision maker, I’m not sure I’d call him the real GM. More like the head of,scouting.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Just give Will the title, Jerry hardly knows the name of some players.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

If not for McClay we would be the Detroit Lions with no NFCC games in 27 years.... wait ....

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
The good thing for the Cowboys is:
JjkYJoW.jpg

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Been saying this for years. People giving "Jerruh" too much blame...or credit for that matter...aren't looking at the entire picture. Of course Jerry Jones is a lightning rod given his personality, But honestly, for McClay and the personnel department, it keeps the focus off of them so they can do their jobs.

I'm sure those within NFL circles know the true deal as well, and not just what's being reported in the press ("Jerry this, Jerry that, will Jerry draft Johnny Football, etc.").

I'm pretty sure Stephen Jones appreciates the facade as well. I'm still wondering about Stephen. Jimmy Johnson couldn't stop singing his praises in the early to mid '90s when he was in Dallas.

Again, great post. Refreshing actually.
I thought Stephen Jones was a youngster when Jimmy was with the cowboys in the 90s ?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

OK , to be serious, Will does a fantasic job with the draft and UDFA.
Whoever is in charge of Free Agency is who I have the beef with.

rags747

Reaction score
Great CEO’s hire great people and pay them well. Anything else said is just a bunch of nonsense.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

Because McClay is a real football guy. He knows exactly what the team needs. On the other hand, since Stephen has been in charge of FA we have done absolutely nothing in that area. I wish he would take his "cap boy" mentality away from this team as far as possible.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Will has really helped get us going in the right direction in the draft. Not sure if he’s calling the shots or just making recommendations but the last decade has been better.

That being said, what would take us from drafting good to great is being more active in FA to fill needs so we can take top talent in the draft. We’re still leaning on need too much in the draft IMO…probably because we do nothing in FA.

links18

Reaction score
Who wanted to give Randy "Smoke 'em Up" Gregory all that cash? Sounds like a Jerry move that Stephen sabotaged.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Disagree

Stephen Jones is the acting GM with McClay as his right hand man.

Jerry has minimal involvement now with regards to football operations. Similar to the involvement of many other owners. Jerry started handing off to Stephen more and more once Jerry World was completed. Once mini Jerry World (The Star) was completed, Jerry really shifted his focus to the Stadium(s) and that aspect of the business. Everybody that does business with the organization wants to meet with Jerry. It ranges from boxing promoters, colleges & high schools that play at the stadiums, musical performers like U2, George Straight, etc..

Stephen and staff deliver a daily report to Jerry and someone preps him before interviews.

If you listen closely to Jerry, you'll hear Jerry repeating something almost verbatim that one of Stephen, McCarthy or McClay had said previously.

If Jerry utters a complete and coherent sentence or paragraph, it is a big clue that he is repeating what someone told him. Jerry's own thoughts are rarely in complete, coherent sentences.

Stephen and Jerry each do a weekly interview on local sports talk radio during the season and several during the off-season. Tex did it back in his day also.

It quickly becomes obvious that the Cowboys now follow the Stephen Jones plan. The minimal spending on free agents is unquestionably the SJ approach. That was never Jerry's approach.

rambo2

Reaction score
OK , to be serious, Will does a fantasic job with the draft and UDFA.
Whoever is in charge of Free Agency is who I have the beef with.
They signed a bunch of free agents this year and you should count their own free agents in this total. Overall they built an outstanding team.