News: Will McClay not interested in Texans GM job

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They do when he throws the bank at them.
I personally would've taken the Texans job.
Didn't they fire their last GM after one season?

Once you are at or near the top of your career path, job security is a lot more important than a temporary promotion that leads to being unemployed soon after.

Will McClay knows he's proven himself to Jerry and Stephen, so while he may never get the "GM" title, he knows he's a part of the GM "process" and that the Cowboys are unlikely to get rid of him any time soon.

erod

Reaction score
McClay doesn't like the spotlight, which serves Dallas well.

Doesn't hurt either that Jerry is probably paying him more than Stephen. :laugh:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't they fire their last GM after one season?

Once you are at or near the top of your career path, job security is a lot more important than a temporary promotion that leads to being unemployed soon after.

Will McClay knows he's proven himself to Jerry and Stephen, so while he may never get the "GM" title, he knows he's a part of the GM "process" and that the Cowboys are unlikely to get rid of him any time soon.

Exactly right. That brings up a point made by a former GM now on the radio. (It may have been Mark Domenick). He mentioned how difficult it is for a GM to get that second chance once he's been fired, and mentioned that it's rare that guys get that second chance.

McClay has a great gig in Dallas. If he's being paid anywhere close to 'GM money', he's got a better deal than any of them. As long as he's putting together good boards with good scouting, he's set. He can't be fired for any decisions that he ultimately didn't make.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For some, job title means nothing and he, evidently, has a very comfortable relationship with Booger and has made him look good and by the proof of that shot from the war room with the 3rd pick, helped Booger understand the meaning of foundation.

Getting someone that Booger trusts to shine the best light on him is the tricky part, which is why I have always thought they could do a lot worse than Garrett.

What I find interesting is that McClay assembles the draft board and then doesn't participate in the draft. There is a very clear understanding of what he is accountable for and he's built a real foundation of trust within the organization. The fact that his name keeps popping up shows the amount of interest and respect he has but the fact he doesn't hesitate to say he's staying tells me he understands why Booger and Johnson had their falling out and it wasn't as a much about ego as it was loyalty.

McClay has the best almost GM job in the league. He is in good with the old man and the successor and his job security is the best. Used to be it was just HC's getting canned, now its' almost as many GM's.

The one thing I would really like to know is how McClay feels about Garrett because I think that is as important as how the Joneses feel about him. And does he think about that unfounded rumor that Garrett is headed for a FO gig and could be over him.

GenoT

Reaction score
But I thought no one wants to work for Jerry, I read it on here many times.
Plenty of people want to work for Jerry — especially when they score a virtual lifetime-gig, like McClay did.

The problem is more to do with coaches...and it’s not so much that most wouldn’t wanna work for Jerry, but rather that they might not be completely happy working under a VERY hands-on GM.

More than a few quality HCs might be uncomfortable, and therefore possibly less successful, working for an owner/GM who dictates their staff hires.

dwreck27

Reaction score
He’s in a win-win situation!

Everything that good that happens with GM moves his because ole will mcclay is a wizard

Anything bad? Oh ole jerrruhh must be hitting that old Johnny blue again!!

Not to mention he’s easily top 5 paid in the league lol

Jeffkills

Reaction score
hqdefault.jpg