Twitter: Will McClay On The Ticket

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

No surprise here. Love what we have.

But if Iloka continues to run third team, I wonder if they cut him at the final roster paring and then look at Berry after week 1.

The Jeff Heath conundrum aside, are they really willing to go into the season with the likes of Frazier and Donovan Wilson as the reserves?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

But if Iloka continues to run third team, I wonder if they cut him at the final roster paring and then look at Berry after week 1.

The Jeff Heath conundrum aside, are they really willing to go into the season with the likes of Frazier and Donovan Wilson as the reserves?

I assume Iloka will be the top reserve. And that's if Heath doesn't play himself out of the starting role, which I think he'll keep until he has a bad game tackling, which shouldn't take too long.

When McClay or the Cowboys make this statement about feeling "good" about current players, does anyone in the media cover the team ask them to explain why they feel good about them, such as how do you explain feeling good about Heath when he was subpar against the run last year?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

"What do 3rd team mean?"

Are you saying that Iloka is 3rd as in:
1 Woods
2 Heath
3 Iloka

Or are you saying actually 3rd team as in:
SS
Heath
Somebody Else
Iloka

FS
Woods
Somebody Else
Iloka

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

To clarify “liking” the continued tweet updates. I’m personally fine with Woods but still wish a real upgrade on Heath happened.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
"What do 3rd team mean?"

Are you saying that Iloka is 3rd as in:
1 Woods
2 Heath
3 Iloka

Or are you saying actually 3rd team as in:
SS
Heath
Somebody Else
Iloka

FS
Woods
Somebody Else
Iloka

The second one implies third team. As in, "unless there are injuries, Iloka currently will not make the team."

Alexander

Reaction score
When McClay or the Cowboys make this statement about feeling "good" about current players, does anyone in the media cover the team ask them to explain why they feel good about them, such as how do you explain feeling good about Heath when he was subpar against the run last year?

That would be outstanding if they were challenged to explain themselves.

They also supposedly were good bypassing their pick of the draft's top safeties and instead went with Hill. The same was said about Earl Thomas.

Part of that argument is that they love Woods.

Okay, then how about a little bit more information. Perhaps then you quit getting asked the question.

Saying "we like what we have" but then adding the "we are always looking out for opportunities" is pretty intellectually insulting when you think about it.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The captain of the "we like our guys" club says "no surprise" to our FO monitoring a guy to bring in?

Lol. Makes total sense.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

No need to wait after week 1 for Berry. He's not getting a big contract. He's earned over 90 mil in his career. He's gonna be fine with a prove it deal

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
No need to wait after week 1 for Berry. He's not getting a big contract. He's earned over 90 mil in his career. He's gonna be fine with a prove it deal

He's a vested vet.
There's contract and CAP benefits to signing vested vets after week 1.

Essentially his contract is a week to week try out.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The thing is with Iloka, his contract is written where it won't cost much if released. However if he is on the roster game one, then how much saved as opposed if released before the start of the season.
As he is the same situation as with Thompson last year. Release before game 10, we will get a comp pick, for Beasley. Unless another team also releases one of our FA's lost by game 10 also.

However, I watched many Bengals games, and if Iloka could be that player when they ad him, I like him better than Heath. I still am holding out hope he shows this in TC. But will the coaches love for Heath over power that.

Alexander

Reaction score
I still don't think he will take a nothing contract to continue to play. Makes sense that teams would want to shy away from guaranteed money.

John813

Reaction score
Any upgrade for Jeff Heath would have to be a god. You simply can't upgrade from a Demigod/Heath that easily.

Alexander

Reaction score
However, I watched many Bengals games, and if Iloka could be that player when they ad him, I like him better than Heath. I still am holding out hope he shows this in TC. But will the coaches love for Heath over power that.
The fact there is no apparent competition tells me that the Cowboys' staff doesn't feel he is able to take on Heath.

Doomsday77

Reaction score
His undervaluing by the fan base is only matched by the overvaluing he gets from the coaching staff and organization.
I don't know how you overvalue the guy that has the most interceptions in the last 4 years...Yes the coaches love that.

Alexander

Reaction score
I don't know how you overvalue the guy that has the most interceptions in the last 4 years...Yes the coaches love that.
2 INTs a season really only shows up when your defense is not grabbing many picks.

In Chicago, Marinelli overvalued Chris Conte. Same kind of player. Loved him. Then eventually they paid for that devotion after Rodgers burned him to go to the Super Bowl.