1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

Video: Will McClay talking about DLaw playing in 3-4

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hawkeye0202, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

10,052 Messages
    17,116 Likes Received
    Is this a hint we may switch to 3-4??????? I mean why talk about it ......

2. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

10,052 Messages
    17,116 Likes Received
    Repost mod....didn't see it (lol)

3. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

15,282 Messages
    12,815 Likes Received
    I like his interviews
    Mostly generic but a few nice tidbits

817Gill likes this.
  4. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

3,381 Messages
    3,379 Likes Received
    I don't know that 90 is a stand up OLB.

Theres so many hybrid type looks and nickel mostly anyway, so what's the real difference.

Anything that isnt perfectly predictable by the opponent sounds ok to me.

5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

24,066 Messages
    10,636 Likes Received
    Pretty much this. He can stand up if he wants, but it's not like you're ever goign to have him dropping into coverage more than a play or two a game.

817Gill, EJK24 and Furboy like this.
  6. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

60,519 Messages
    63,564 Likes Received
    I can bet he won't whine like Greg Ellis did.

jrumann59, LittleD, J817 and 2 others like this.
  7. WillieBeamen

WillieBeamen BoysfanfromNY

8,698 Messages
    23,722 Likes Received
  8. Kingofholland

Kingofholland Well-Known Member

1,048 Messages
    975 Likes Received
    Lawrence wouldn't fit as an end in the 3-4 scheme, but could be the outside strong side LOLB. Only issue is he would have some coverage reponsibilities on the TE, which I don't know if he'll be able to handle as well.

Outside of Lawrence, Dorrance Armstrong could be increasingly valuable as a ROLB. So would Gregory if he can stay on the field. Woods could play some NT and DE. Hill would be a DE. Tyrone Crawford could also be a fit at DE, but with his salary I can't see him back at that cost.

When you think about the current state of the dline and olbs with a switch to a 3-4 they would need some serious talent infusion. At least 1 DE, legit NT, and an ROLB.

Redball Express likes this.
  9. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

6,478 Messages
    4,601 Likes Received
    I can see Nolan just changing schemes up consistently. 3-4 4-3 etc

817Gill likes this.
  10. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

15,659 Messages
    9,433 Likes Received
    I didnt hear anything that said 3-4. He was asked about it but i think he just said Lawrence can play anywhere they put him and succeed. I would look at the NO defense and the different setups they had. A true Hybrid defense. Alot of athletes something Dallas has on defense.

If Dallas does intend on going 3-4 it wont be this yr but draft guys who could transition and play both sets. In round one i would def look at a guy like James Lynch. And again it dont matter what def they plan on playing. Lynch has been very good in both alignments. Playing DT and DE.Id take him at 17 right now. I actually like him over Kinlaw.

11. Beaker42

Beaker42 Well-Known Member

4,243 Messages
    3,664 Likes Received
    He couldn’t be any more ineffective than this past season so switch it up and see if he produces.

12. DUO_CORE

DUO_CORE Well-Known Member

495 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    Fixed it

"We had Dallas Cowboys Vice Puppet of Player Personnel......."

13. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

15,659 Messages
    9,433 Likes Received
    Fans hyperventilated about this yr, you people couldnt handle 1 or 2 more yrs of transitioning to a 3-4. Who you are you people kidding. You'd want these coaches fired by next yr.

darthseinfeld and Seven like this.
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

24,661 Messages
    13,801 Likes Received
    Not in favor of 3-4. Harder to find players for it. Also Jerry has been in love with Seattle's 4-3 for the better part of a decade.

15. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

15,659 Messages
    9,433 Likes Received
    People see Nolan and say 3-4. Since 2012 he's been a 4-3 every yr except for 1 yr he coached in SD.

16. Oneiros

Oneiros Well-Known Member

727 Messages
    1,215 Likes Received
    Yeah, I don't get it either.

He's shown that he can coach around both. We seem to be locked into thinking that it's going to instantly be a 3-4.

I wouldn't mind seeing somewhat of a hybrid mix of the two just to present some more looks but I'm scratching my head here.

darthseinfeld likes this.
  17. _sturt_

_sturt_ Well-Known Member

2,459 Messages
    2,373 Likes Received
    That's the current presumption, no???

18. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

15,659 Messages
    9,433 Likes Received
    The typical heads on this forum would be doing the same crying about this staff next yr waiting for the 3-4. Because even Parcells took 2 yrs to transition.

19. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

4,808 Messages
    2,254 Likes Received
    Very true. He came in at Atl and they had a 43 and he kept it that in 2012 and 13. He went to a 34 in 2014, but still ran a lot of hybrids like he did when he ran the 43 the first 2 years. I think the 43 or 34 is talked about too much with as much nickle as every team runs. The personnel changes and scheme changes but the fronts dont change much with all the nickle. You just different type of players running it

20. Tabascocat

Tabascocat Dexternjack Zone Supporter

20,141 Messages
    22,880 Likes Received
    If Dallas moves towards a 3-4, it will be a slow transition acquiring the right players through the draft and FA. It won’t happen in one offseason but I imagine seeing some in 2020.