Video: Will McClay talking about DLaw playing in 3-4

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didnt hear anything that said 3-4. He was asked about it but i think he just said Lawrence can play anywhere they put him and succeed. I would look at the NO defense and the different setups they had. A true Hybrid defense. Alot of athletes something Dallas has on defense.

If Dallas does intend on going 3-4 it wont be this yr but draft guys who could transition and play both sets. In round one i would def look at a guy like James Lynch. And again it dont matter what def they plan on playing. Lynch has been very good in both alignments. Playing DT and DE.Id take him at 17 right now. I actually like him over Kinlaw.

Radio Host: "There's discussion about moving to a 3-4 defense. What are your thoughts on Demarcus Lawrence in that type of situation?"

McClay: "Demarcus Lawrence can play in any defense"

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People see Nolan and say 3-4. Since 2012 he's been a 4-3 every yr except for 1 yr he coached in SD.
Wrong.

I just reviewed Atlanta games from 2012 to 2014. He was using a hybrid 3-4 in Atlanta. The 1st defensive play of game 1 in 2014 was a 3-4 alignment. The 1st defensive play of game 16..same.

He has not been a D-Coordinator since 2014 and therefore it is irrelevant what defense he was coaching because the D-Coordinator makes that decision, not the LB coach...

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Lawrence wouldn't fit as an end in the 3-4 scheme, but could be the outside strong side LOLB. Only issue is he would have some coverage reponsibilities on the TE, which I don't know if he'll be able to handle as well.

Outside of Lawrence, Dorrance Armstrong could be increasingly valuable as a ROLB. So would Gregory if he can stay on the field. Woods could play some NT and DE. Hill would be a DE. Tyrone Crawford could also be a fit at DE, but with his salary I can't see him back at that cost.

When you think about the current state of the dline and olbs with a switch to a 3-4 they would need some serious talent infusion. At least 1 DE, legit NT, and an ROLB.
D Law would play the role and side that Anthony Spencer played (LOLB) in the Son of a Bum Phillips 3/4 system. Right is the pass rush side and Left is the strong side.

The problem is that Quinn did not take well as the ROLB in a 3/4 defense during his time in Miami. Why because of coverage. It is not that he is not athletic enough or slow. It is the opposite and he wants to go forward all the time.

The good thing is that it is easier to fine 3/4 OLBs than 4/3 DEs. They should have tried and kept their Taco who can naturally play both 3/4 LOLB, ROLB, and RDE that is the flex he brought to Miami with 5 sacks.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys even used a 3-2-6 and a 3-1-6 at times. Think they went to that defense vs the Cardinals in 2017 IIRC and it changed the bleeding on defense.

Obviously on plays where they expected a pass, but some guys have played in that 3 down setup.
Back in 2017 they ran a lot of those packages early on. Think it was Law, Collins and Crawford.

A 3-1-6 would only be 10 players...

They often replaced a DT with a LB (Jaylon) in passing situations. That sometimes resulted in:
4-2-5 Nickel becomes 3-3-5
4-3 becomes 3-4-5
4-1-6 Dime becomes 3-2-6

All of these 3 man lines are the opposite of a "3-4" DL.
- In a 3-4, there are 3 DL between the outside shoulders of the OTs. Interior gaps a smaller than in 4-3.
- In the 3-man DL (pass rush 3 man line), there is 1 DL between the OTs. Interior gaps are bigger than in 4-3.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
D Law would play the role and side that Anthony Spencer played (LOLB) in the Son of a Bum Phillips 3/4 system. Right is the pass rush side and Left is the strong side.

The problem is that Quinn did not take well as the ROLB in a 3/4 defense during his time in Miami. Why because of coverage. It is not that he is not athletic enough or slow. It is the opposite and he wants to go forward all the time.

The good thing is that it is easier to fine 3/4 OLBs than 4/3 DEs. They should have tried and kept their Taco who can naturally play both 3/4 LOLB, ROLB, and RDE that is the flex he brought to Miami with 5 sacks.

No, DLaw will not play that position. Spencer was in coverage over 3x as much as DWare.

As compared to Marinelli's 4-3, the Mike Nolan 3-4 look:

Marinelli 4-3 Under
.....................RT.....RG.....OC.....LG.....LT.....
SLB..........LE................1T................3T.........RE

Keep the same spacing but shift the entire line to the right.
SLB..............LE...............1T................3T.........RE

Now have the RE stand up and change the names.
OLB..............LE...............0T................5T.........OLB

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah, I don't get it either.

He's shown that he can coach around both. We seem to be locked into thinking that it's going to instantly be a 3-4.

I wouldn't mind seeing somewhat of a hybrid mix of the two just to present some more looks but I'm scratching my head here.
I think even Nolan's 3-4's had alot of even fronts. He was more from the hybrid school than pure 3-4. I dont see him changing the front here, we should still be a 4 man base

Nowadays, most teams that run an 3 man base, run a 4 man DL in subpackages