Will Stephen hire a GM one day? Don't bet on it

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/stephen-jones-on-kellen-moore-new-staff-questions

13:30 into the video, Stephey, the world's worst Director of Player Personnel and cap man, talks about how disappointed he is that it's been so long since the Cowboys won anything. Then he goes on to mention how people say he and his daddy have their fingers in places they shouldn't be in but that's why they got into the business and it isn't ever changing. They like their "relationships" with the scouts and coaches.

Watch the video and ask yourself if this sounds like a guy who is interested in handing football operations off to another when he takes over.

That will be yet another cosmetic change, Jerry to Stephen, that does nothing to improve the team.

He is his father's son.

(Cowboys!)

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/stephen-jones-on-kellen-moore-new-staff-questions

13:30 into the video, Stephey, the world's worst Director of Player Personnel and cap man, talks about how disappointed he is that it's been so long since the Cowboys won anything. Then he goes on to mention how people say he and his daddy have their fingers in places they shouldn't be in but that's why they got into the business and it isn't ever changing. They like their "relationships" with the scouts and coaches.

Watch the video and ask yourself if this sounds like a guy who is interested in handing football operations off to another when he takes over.

That will be yet another cosmetic change, Jerry to Stephen, that does nothing to improve the team.

He is his father's son.

(Cowboys!)

Unless fatty drops dead anytime soon (not wishing this to be clear) then you will get more of the same with essentially very little impact in free agency.

Same structure and philosophical thinking, oh my!

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
In other words, Garrett will remain HC until his own death rather than Jerry's?

Its a good thing I already lost interest in the NFL and Jerry's circus many years ago.

acr731

Reaction score
If you lost interest than what are you doing here in the offseason?

You are hooked.
We all are.
Stop pretending.

Just because I come here to talk smack doesn't mean I have an invested interest. 17 games this season and I watched maybe 3 all the way through. I'm sick of the Jerry and Garrett circus, and the NFL in general is becoming more and more like the WWF.

superonyx

Reaction score
Just because I come here to talk smack doesn't mean I have an invested interest. 17 games this season and I watched maybe 3 all the way through. I'm sick of the Jerry and Garrett circus, and the NFL in general is becoming more and more like the WWF.
The World Wildlife Fund?
How so?

Do what pleases you but I’m not buying it.
How can you talk smack about something you don’t even watch?
Seems weird.
Do you do this on Spanish Soccer forums, Table tennis, skeet shooting forums ect?

ItzKelz

Reaction score

He is his father's son.

(Cowboys!)
How can Cowboys fans argue with what we've done over the last 5 to 7 years? Regardless of who holds the title of GM they have made some great decisions that most fans didnt agree with. If it was up to the fans we would not have never drafted Dak, Zeke, Jaylon, LVE, Tyron, Freddie, Jones or traded for Amari. Since SJ has been more in charged and JG has been HC we actually have dug ourselves out of the hole that JJ dug us into with terrible moves. As an organization win, lose or draw we are from head to toe as close to the 90's as we ever have been.

acr731

Reaction score
The World Wildlife Fund?
How so?

Do what pleases you but I’m not buying it.
How can you talk smack about something you don’t even watch?
Seems weird.
Do you do this on Spanish Soccer forums, Table tennis, skeet shooting forums ect?

You know what I'm talking about

Sydla

Reaction score
How can Cowboys fans argue with what we've done over the last 5 to 7 years? Regardless of who holds the title of GM they have made some great decisions that most fans didnt agree with. If it was up to the fans we would not have never drafted Dak, Zeke, Jaylon, LVE, Tyron, Freddie, Jones or traded for Amari. Since SJ has been more in charged and JG has been HC we actually have dug ourselves out of the hole that JJ dug us into with terrible moves. As an organization win, lose or draw we are from head to toe as close to the 90's as we ever have been.

Well this isn’t that true. We are really no further than some of the other playoff teams we have had in the last 15 years.

And we aren’t close to those SB teams.

If you want to give them credit for drafting some good players, great. But the issue goes beyond picking in the draft. They typically fail in FA. The overall coaching structure where Jerry (and Stephen I guess) pick the assistants leaving the HC largely powerless is absurd.

This franchise is not winning a SB unless there are cultural and structural changes made. And that likely won’t happen if the Jones boys continue to delude themselves into thinking they really know what they are doing.

I mean who else has the owner assembling the HC’s coaching staff?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Well this isn’t that true. We are really no further than some of the other playoff teams we have had in the last 15 years.

And we aren’t close to those SB teams.

If you want to give them credit for drafting some good players, great. But the issue goes beyond picking in the draft. They typically fail in FA. The overall coaching structure where Jerry (and Stephen I guess) pick the assistants leaving the HC largely powerless is absurd.

This franchise is not winning a SB unless there are cultural and structural changes made. And that likely won’t happen if the Jones boys continue to delude themselves into thinking they really know what they are doing.

I mean who else has the owner assembling the HC’s coaching staff?
OUR TEAM is as close to OUR 90's as it has ever been and this is very factual. What will result of our drafting and timely trades is still to be seen but as one of the youngest teams in the NFL the future at least appears to be bright.

Personally I believe if Tony was not as injury prone and as unclutch in big games we would have already won a SB but with stability at the QB now and building the team the right way....again our future looks to be bright.

IrishAnto

Reaction score

He is his father's son.

(Cowboys!)
Why should they when it’s been working so well for so long......

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some people can be 1% invested in a subject. Other people can be 100% invested. Those circumstances involving little to complete interest differs from those people who have zero interest and neither associates nor refers to subjects they could not care less about.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

How can you argue that one playoff win is enough over a "5 to 7 year" period? You must be joking. Every organization has player personnel triumphs..........which means absolutely nothing without playoff success.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He is his father's son.

(Cowboys!)
None of this is surprising. Perhaps it should have been surprising during the first 10 or 15 years. However, it is pretty clear after 30 years of keeping the upper management structure both static and stagnant. And within that death grip of suspended animation is a single individual unwilling to divest himself of one organizational title when he has unquestionable authority with all three titles.

I have not seen the entire video yet but did see the first few minutes. Is no one watching the video interested in Stephen saying, paraphrasing, "We already had one quarterback coach who later became the head coach in Jason Garrett and he has done great."

Does that particular comment makes anyone, who thinks Garrett will not be extended, pause and reconsider how the Joneses will likely handle Garrett's future?

Sydla

Reaction score
OUR TEAM is as close to OUR 90's as it has ever been and this is very factual. What will result of our drafting and timely trades is still to be seen but as one of the youngest teams in the NFL the future at least appears to be bright.

Personally I believe if Tony was not as injury prone and as unclutch in big games we would have already won a SB but with stability at the QB now and building the team the right way....again our future looks to be bright.

How is it "factual"? Because they just happen to be young? For starters, they haven't gotten further than the team that lost in the divisional round in 2009. That team was also pretty talented with Romo and Ware and Ratliff and Witten and Miles Austin (at his peak), etc. So to say this team is the closest thing to the 90s teams is a stretch.

And that's just the roster. We haven't even talked about coaching staff.

Continue to delude yourself into thinking this franchise's leadership is on point and doing things the right way. Again, name for me a team in the league where the owner basically picks the coaching staff for the head coach?

Sydla

Reaction score
None of this is surprising. Perhaps it should have been surprising during the first 10 or 15 years. However, it is pretty clear after 30 years of keeping the upper management structure both static and stagnant. And within that death grip of suspended animation is a single individual unwilling to divest himself of one organizational title when he has unquestionable authority with all three titles.

I have not seen the entire video yet but did see the first few minutes. Is no one watching the video interested in Stephen saying, paraphrasing, "We already had one quarterback coach who later became the head coach in Jason Garrett and he has done great."

Does that particular comment makes anyone, who thinks Garrett will not be extended, pause and reconsider how the Joneses will likely handle Garrett's future?

As long as he keeps them competitive, Garrett is a lifer here unfortunately. They can always find excuses for why he just missed the playoffs or got booted right away in the playoffs. I don't know if it's arrogance or just blind loyalty, but there is no question the Jones boys think Garrett is far better than the results would indicate.

I have little doubt he's our Marvin Lewis now.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He is his father's son.

(Cowboys!)

The player acquisition aspect of the Cowboys has been very good in recent years (The best since Jimmy). They've done that while drastically cleaning up the salary cap.

It's some combination of S.Jones and W.McClay that have done that.

It also appears that S.Jones is not a big fan of Garrett but it's impossible to judge him on ability to hire a Head Coach at this point.

Creeper

Reaction score
This isn't surprising. Jerry bought a big expensive toy to play with back around 1990 and he wants to play with it himself. Stephen grew up watching his daddy play with the toy and learned to want the same thing. Little Stephen knows he will inherit his dad's toy one day and then he will get a chance to play. I get it. They have a really nice sports car and they want to drive it. Its fantasy football only its for real with them. If you suck at fantasy football every year, do you get someone to pick your roster for you? Nope, you continue to pick it yourself hoping for a miracle. I've seen this before with the NY Yankees and George Steinbrenner. When Steinbrenner died his kids took over. The difference is, when Steinbrenner wasn't winning he did something. He fired Billy Martin a few times. He signed Reggie Jackson. He hired baseball people like Brian Cashman to pick his team for him. He still meddled too much but at least he had enough pride to realize if his team did not win it reflected on him. Jerry doesn't seem to care about that. He always thinks he is doing a great job even if the Cowboys haven't done anything significant for almost 25 years. Stephen may be teh same but then again, he may also get bored with losing. We'll have to wait and see.