Will Stephen hire a GM one day? Don't bet on it

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Not surprising. I don't know why anyone would think Stephen would be any better than his Daddy. This team will continue to disappoint. I've already accepted I won't see another SB in my lifetime. There is no reason in the world the Dallas Cowboys shouldn't play for NFL Championships regularly. The only explanation is incompetence.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Many years have passed since he said he would hire a GM and with that, many appearances and interviews. He suffers from the same ailment as his old man and likes that half-assed celebrity status. He also thinks as his old man thinks and therein lies the trap of owning a business. Just because one owns something doesn't make them the best qualified to run it. Having the ability to buy a business doesn't qualify one to run all of it.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Many years have passed since he said he would hire a GM and with that, many appearances and interviews. He suffers from the same ailment as his old man and likes that half-assed celebrity status. He also thinks as his old man thinks and therein lies the trap of owning a business. Just because one owns something doesn't make them the best qualified to run it. Having the ability to buy a business doesn't qualify one to run all of it.

He never said he would hire a GM. Fans just hoped he would and pretended he was this voice of reason savior waiting in the wings.

He will slide right into Jerry's chair and point to all his years of experience in personnel as to why he's qualified to do so.

By that point it'll probably be 35+ years of winning squat.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He never said he would hire a GM. Fans just hoped he would and pretended he was this voice of reason savior waiting in the wings.

He will slide right into Jerry's chair and point to all his years of experience in personnel as to why he's qualified to do so.

By that point it'll probably be 35+ years of winning squat.
Yes, he did. He made the comment in an interview several years back and that's what posters have been referencing ever since. It came about when he was asked if he would follow in his Dad's footsteps assuming the GM job. I heard the interview. However, he's never addressed that since so whether he was being honest or not, I don't know but I see him doing exactly what his old man has been doing and do not share the opinion that he will be any better. He's nothing more than the lucky sperm and wouldn't be in a NFL FO otherwise.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, he did. He made the comment in an interview several years back and that's what posters have been referencing ever since. It came about when he was asked if he would follow in his Dad's footsteps assuming the GM job. I heard the interview. However, he's never addressed that since so whether he was being honest or not, I don't know but I see him doing exactly what his old man has been doing and do not share the opinion that he will be any better. He's nothing more than the lucky sperm and wouldn't be in a NFL FO otherwise.

No he didn't. That was claimed for years and nobody ever provided any proof of it and anytime he's ever talked about it it's always sounded like this. They like the power.

If Stephen Jones actually said he would hire a GM it would have been covered everywhere. We wouldn't be able to avoid not seeing that interview. It never happened.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As long as he keeps them competitive, Garrett is a lifer here unfortunately. They can always find excuses for why he just missed the playoffs or got booted right away in the playoffs. I don't know if it's arrogance or just blind loyalty, but there is no question the Jones boys think Garrett is far better than the results would indicate.

I have little doubt he's our Marvin Lewis now.
I believe from their perspective (and especially from Jerry Jones' perspective) that it is neither arrogance nor blind loyalty. I could be 100% incorrect but I think they see Garrett as a gamble that paid off because Garrett has lead the team to the playoffs as their head coach. That is their self-justification in my opinion. Simply put, I hypothesize they (again the elder Jones in particular) conceive a quality head coach delivers a team that will contend in the playoffs if given what they deem is 'enough time' to accomplish the feat.

Here is where I see Garrett differing from Chan Gailey, Dave Campo and Wade Phillips in their eyes:

• Gailey barely coached the team to two wild card playoff appearances, losing both with sequentially poor regular season results. Jerry Jones still believed he had the tail end of a Super Bowl contending team, so he afforded Gailey zero time to re-shape the roster and overall scheme into one which might reverse two years of underperformance.
  • Campo was given three years, which Jones attempted to supplement with measures like using two first-round picks for Joey Galloway and a high round pick for Quincy Carter. Jones proceeded to see the team wallow with Aikman's retirement and Galloway's injury but assumed incorrectly Carter would be a long-term solution and asset that would reverse sub-.500 performance given time. However, three consecutive losing seasons was long enough for Jones' patience to wear out.
  • Phillips was situated in the exact (or better) conditions Garrett currently owns. Multiple plus-.500 performance and playoff appearances. I believe Jones extended Phillips 100% security until the 45-7 Green Bay fiasco when the team performed rudderless. Jones saw Phillips utterly lose the roster's confidence and that a lame duck head coach would be ineffective anyway.
From Garrett, Jones has seen (not counting 2010 since he likely wrote that season off as a dud) three straight non-losing seasons followed by 4 of 5 plus-.500 seasons that included three playoff appearances. Jones probably wrote off 2015 as a fluke due to Romo's injury. Garrett has not produced consecutive losing seasons, lost the roster's loyalty or underachieved with a 'proven' (e.g. recently won a championship) Super Bowl-caliber team. I sincerely believe within Jones' head and possibly inside his son's head are the qualifications of a quality head coach. I am not saying they are the correct or logical qualifications for keeping a head coach employed. I am saying they are the qualifications that support their own 'football savvy' logic for retaining Garrett.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
No he didn't. That was claimed for years and nobody ever provided any proof of it and anytime he's ever talked about it it's always sounded like this. They like the power.

If Stephen Jones actually said he would hire a GM it would have been covered everywhere. We wouldn't be able to avoid not seeing that interview. It never happened.
It is pretty much the worst Cowboys urban legend ever.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Damn, I must have been hallucinating and it was a group hallucination because that was all over DC.com after he said it. Others heard it as well as that has been the hope of many is that he would hire a competent GM.

This was around the time that Booger told why he wouldn't hire a GM but I guess he never said that either?

I heard it and others heard it but if you want to insinuate, no, state that I am lying, have at it. You do have a certain style for pissing people off, don't you?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is pretty much the worst Cowboys urban legend ever.
Because you didn't hear him say it, that makes it urban legend?

Back when I cared and did listen to and watch interviews, I did happen to hear him say that would be his plan at that time. I do not know if he was ever asked that question again and I am not aware of that ever being an issue. It was at the time on DC.com because quite a few of us heard that and immediately thought he was smarter than his old man.

You can ask around, I am not the only one that heard that and there are still several here that believe he will do that. I believed that at the time but he was really in the background at that time, it was Booger all the time. Since he's become just like Booger, I gave up that notion but that doesn't mean he wasn't answering the question honestly at that time. People and their priorities change.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Damn, I must have been hallucinating and it was a group hallucination because that was all over DC.com after he said it. Others heard it as well as that has been the hope of many is that he would hire a competent GM.

This was around the time that Booger told why he wouldn't hire a GM but I guess he never said that either?

I heard it and others heard it but if you want to insinuate, no, state that I am lying, have at it. You do have a certain style for pissing people off, don't you?

Yeah, it's like Bigfoot. People swear they've seen it.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
You can have issues and problems, but calling him the "world's worst director of Player Personnell & Cap Management" is overlooking genius like Bruce Allen, Vinny Cerrato, Jerry Reese*, Matt Millen, just to name a few. He isn't the absolute best, but there are and have been plenty way worse.

*Jerry Reese won two super bowls, but I'm firmly of the opinion those were Ernie Accorsi teams.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe from their perspective (and especially from Jerry Jones' perspective) that it is neither arrogance nor blind loyalty. I could be 100% incorrect but I think they see Garrett as a gamble that paid off because Garrett has lead the team to the playoffs as their head coach. That is their self-justification in my opinion. Simply put, I hypothesize they (again the elder Jones in particular) conceive a quality head coach delivers a team that will contend in the playoffs if given what they deem is 'enough time' to accomplish the feat.

Here is where I see Garrett differing from Chan Gailey, Dave Campo and Wade Phillips in their eyes:

• Gailey barely coached the team to two wild card playoff appearances, losing both with sequentially poor regular season results. Jerry Jones still believed he had the tail end of a Super Bowl contending team, so he afforded Gailey zero time to re-shape the roster and overall scheme into one which might reverse two years of underperformance.
  • Campo was given three years, which Jones attempted to supplement with measures like using two first-round picks for Joey Galloway and a high round pick for Quincy Carter. Jones proceeded to see the team wallow with Aikman's retirement and Galloway's injury but assumed incorrectly Carter would be a long-term solution and asset that would reverse sub-.500 performance given time. However, three consecutive losing seasons was long enough for Jones' patience to wear out.
  • Phillips was situated in the exact (or better) conditions Garrett currently owns. Multiple plus-.500 performance and playoff appearances. I believe Jones extended Phillips 100% security until the 45-7 Green Bay fiasco when the team performed rudderless. Jones saw Phillips utterly lose the roster's confidence and that a lame duck head coach would be ineffective anyway.
From Garrett, Jones has seen (not counting 2010 since he likely wrote that season off as a dud) three straight non-losing seasons followed by 4 of 5 plus-.500 seasons that included three playoff appearances. Jones probably wrote off 2015 as a fluke due to Romo's injury. Garrett has not produced consecutive losing seasons, lost the roster's loyalty or underachieved with a 'proven' (e.g. recently won a championship) Super Bowl-caliber team. I sincerely believe within Jones' head and possibly inside his son's head are the qualifications of a quality head coach. I am not saying they are the correct or logical qualifications for keeping a head coach employed. I am saying they are the qualifications that support their own 'football savvy' logic for retaining Garrett.
And let's not forget how they saw the team respond to Garrett as the interim HC and they've not seen the team quit on him except maybe in 2015 which they look at as an aberration anyway.

Garrett can get the talent to play hard but can he get it to play up to potential? That has been my question about him all along.

The other element is these are the two most involved owners in the league, are they not culpable in the outcome as well? How to hold an employee accountable when so involved in his job?

And we cannot underestimate the effect of family on Booger and Garrett has been tight with his kids for 25 years. His problem is he can hide family in the positions they're in but at HC, ain't no hiding there.

Correct or logical qualifications doesn't enter into it. This isn't a public company, it is a company run by a man that answers to no one. He can employ anyone he wants. If fans really cared, they wouldn't keep buying all the tickets merch and supporting the franchise. We've got folks right here that hammer the hell out of him and put money in his pocket. What does Booger hear? The *****ing and complaining or the jangle in their pockets?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't see Bigfoot but I did hear him say Son would hire a GM.

No, you didn't. You just say you did.

There's a reason why it was never a huge thing covered everywhere and a reason why no media member has ever referenced that comment from Stephen years ago and that is because it never happened. It was a lie and many wanted to believe the lie. It made them feel better.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
If he said it ,can someone please post a link? I've never actually heard him myself. If he did say it then he's obviously changed his mind because nothing he has done the last few years sounds like somebody that wants to give up power.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn’t bet on it, but I wouldn’t be surprised by it either. I suspect if it ever does happen it will be after Jerry has either passed away or is in such poor health he doesn’t realize it has happened.

cern

Reaction score
I see Stephen as being very different in the way he runs things as compared to jerry. much more capable when it comes to running football matters. good cap man. good personnel man.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And let's not forget how they saw the team respond to Garrett as the interim HC and they've not seen the team quit on him except maybe in 2015 which they look at as an aberration anyway.

Garrett can get the talent to play hard but can he get it to play up to potential? That has been my question about him all along.

The other element is these are the two most involved owners in the league, are they not culpable in the outcome as well? How to hold an employee accountable when so involved in his job?

And we cannot underestimate the effect of family on Booger and Garrett has been tight with his kids for 25 years. His problem is he can hide family in the positions they're in but at HC, ain't no hiding there.

Correct or logical qualifications doesn't enter into it. This isn't a public company, it is a company run by a man that answers to no one. He can employ anyone he wants. If fans really cared, they wouldn't keep buying all the tickets merch and supporting the franchise. We've got folks right here that hammer the hell out of him and put money in his pocket. What does Booger hear? The *****ing and complaining or the jangle in their pockets?
At some point, everyone should expand beyond the 'hit Jones where it hurts/stop buying tickets and merchandise' objective. It would not be as effective a goal as some people think. Jones' financial wealth spans well-beyond ticket and merchandising revenue. Oil is one example.

It is the IF game. IF one or more people had the leadership essentials, and IF that leadership could organize enough support (easily in the tens of thousands minimum) across the country, and IF that galvanized base of supporters would halt all economic Cowboys' related spending, it would establish a minimally effective initiative to hit Jones in the wallet. Such action would give pause for any business owner.

Jerry Jones is not the typical business owner mentally in my opinion. It will take much more than a successful financial campaign to sway his decision-making into coinciding with outsider goals. Without question, Jones is accountable like everyone else but he will not react to pressure like anyone would commonly assume.

To reach someone like Jones, one must hit him psychologically. And ironically, doing so would not be as complicated or time-consuming as impacting him financially.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At some point, everyone should expand beyond the 'hit Jones where it hurts/stop buying tickets and merchandise' objective. It would not be as effective a goal as some people think. Jones' financial wealth spans well-beyond ticket and merchandising revenue. Oil is one example.

It is the IF game. IF one or more people had the leadership essentials, and IF that leadership could organize enough support (easily in the tens of thousands minimum) across the country, and IF that galvanized base of supporters would halt all economic Cowboys' related spending, it would establish a minimally effective initiative to hit Jones in the wallet. Such action would give pause for any business owner.

Jerry Jones is not the typical business owner mentally in my opinion. It will take much more than a successful financial campaign to sway his decision-making into coinciding with outsider goals. Without question, Jones is accountable like everyone else but he will not react to pressure like anyone would commonly assume.

To reach someone like Jones, one must hit him psychologically. And ironically, doing so would not be as complicated or time-consuming as impacting him financially.
Agree and as I've said he is bulletproof once he got the stadium. He was willing to subrogate his ego to Parcells to that end but once that was done, never again.

He will do what he wants to do until he dies or is mentally incapacitated and even towards the end, Crazy Al was still calling the shots.

As I've said many times, one either accepts that he is in charge of the team and is going to do as he wants or find another team. I best handle it by avoiding exposure to him except for what is brought in here. And my problem with him has nothing to do with his GMing the team, it's his annoying personality and overblown needy ego. He's a man that measures through materialism and that's just not my type of cat, known too many of them.