Will the Cowboys pick up the option on Hurns?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
They have to decide by March 13 but I'm confused. How can they release him if he injured?

https://thelandryhat.com/2019/02/17...-hurns/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Will the Dallas Cowboys pick up the option on Allen Hurns?

by Steven Mullenax4 hours ago Follow @stevenmullenax
Very soon the Dallas Cowboys will have to make a decision about the future of wide receiver Allen Hurns and if he’ll be on the team in 2019.

Last season, the biggest free agency signing the Dallas Cowboys made was arguably that of wide receiver Allen Hurns. The veteran wideout was released by the Jacksonville Jaguars last March after spending his first four seasons in Florida.
Yes, fellow, but let's move away from the likes of Horns.
Pedestrian.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
They have to decide by March 13 but I'm confused. How can they release him if he injured?

https://thelandryhat.com/2019/02/17...-hurns/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Very soon the Dallas Cowboys will have to make a decision about the future of wide receiver Allen Hurns and if he’ll be on the team in 2019.

Last season, the biggest free agency signing the Dallas Cowboys made was arguably that of wide receiver Allen Hurns. The veteran wideout was released by the Jacksonville Jaguars last March after spending his first four seasons in Florida.

If they have any sense, the word "no" should easily come to mind.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Hurns would get a 4 Million dollar salary and a 1 Million Dollar roster bonus if he isn't cut.

He will be cut. The Sun will still rise in the East. A pig's butt will still be made of pork.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Not for 6.25 million. I will pass. He's worth more like 2 mil

At something like 1 Million in salary and 1 Million in incentives, I would love to see him come back as our 4th WR. I really doubt it happens though.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The don't have to "release" him. He signed a 1-year contract, with a team option for a second year. All they have to do is decline to pick up the 2nd year option. No injury settlement required.

The Cowboys sign a similar type contract with Henry Melton in 2014 - a 1 year deal with a team option for an additional 3 years. Prior to the beginning of the next season, they simply declined to pick up their option.

If the Cowboys don't pick up the option by 3/13/19, Hurns becomes a free agent. They don't have to "cut" him.
Thanks for the clarification

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

No.

Hurns is gone.

When healthy..which is not much..

he has been mediocre.

We have better.

TE is the priority as is replacing Beasley.

Hurns does none of that.

cristglo

Reaction score

I hope not for the salary he is getting. i wouldnt mind keeping him but at a much reduced price. He would be third or fourth down the WR chart.
They can release him with an injury settlement I believe

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I hope not for the salary he is getting. i wouldnt mind keeping him but at a much reduced price. He would be third or fourth down the WR chart.
They can release him with an injury settlement I believe
They don't have to release him.... if they do nothing he becomes a FA on March 13th.... it is a Team Option

I would offer him a chance to compete in TC for 1-2m..... he is the 6th option at best

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They were unlikely to keep him with or without the injury. His 2019 salary would be 6.25M.

The team does not owe him money. His contract didn't have guaranteed money.

If he had been injured in 2019 off-season practices, then they would owe him money in 2019.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score

giphy.gif

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Of course we the fans don’t know how well Hurns is recovering from that gruesome injury we all saw, but I just can’t believe he would be near 100% after multiple broken bones in that ankle.

I’d rather be spending money on someone I knew was healthy. We need help now, not paying someone to finish healing on the sidelines.