Will the Cowboys trade a player for a pick?

Verdict

Reaction score
I am not convinced that the Cowboys are going to wait around until late in the second round to make a pick in this draft. I think there is at least the possibility that the Cowboys attempt to move up and offload some upcoming salary burden this offseason.

Tank, Byron, Lee and TWill are possibly salary cap moves. Lee may net a late pick in the draft (probably won't based on his play) and TWill is probably going to be an outright cut.

Tank and Byron are two guys that have significant value in a potential trade. I believe someone would give a 1st for Tank. I also believe someone would give up a 2nd for Byron.

If you believe that Richard was the reason that Byron "blew up" this year, then you move on from Byron and save his $50m hit.

I like both players. I'm just not sure Tank is worth $100m over 5 years and I'm not sure Byron isn't a product of Richard (former legion of boom coach).

Rayman70

Reaction score
I am not convinced that the Cowboys are going to wait around until late in the second round to make a pick in this draft. I think there is at least the possibility that the Cowboys attempt to move up and offload some upcoming salary burden this offseason.

Tank, Byron, Lee and TWill are possibly salary cap moves. Lee may net a late pick in the draft (probably won't based on his play) and TWill is probably going to be an outright cut.

Tank and Byron are two guys that have significant value in a potential trade. I believe someone would give a 1st for Tank. I also believe someone would give up a 2nd for Byron.

If you believe that Richard was the reason that Byron "blew up" this year, then you move on from Byron and save his $50m hit.

I like both players. I'm just not sure Tank is worth $100m over 5 years and I'm not sure Byron isn't a product of Richard (former legion of boom coach).
ONLY way I trade DLaw is if its a deal that blows our doors off. For 2 first round picks,a 2nd and a mid round next year. MAYBE. That said, Defensive talent like this doesn't grow on trees. He is a force. That means we are counting on Gregory heavily and others to step it up. That's a HUGE ask. Byron is the trade I would make in a heartbeat. He isn't a ball hawk. If we can steal a late 1st or 2nd for him,coupled with a future mid rounder, I would do that. Makes too much sense not to.

Verdict

Reaction score
Tank or byron?

Talk about being torn.

I don't WANT to lose either one of these guys but, Byron was mediocre for 3 years. Tank has faded every year down the stretch. He feasts in the first half of the season then shows up on a milk carton at about week 10.

How many impactful plays did Tank get against the Rams? Not many.

Maybe if you get another player on the line Tank balls out all year long. But he's not a Ware type who can beat a double team with regularity. That brings him closer to average than exceptional.

Would Kansas City give up a pick to improve that horrid defense? Would they trade Tyreek Hill to get Byron Jones or Tank? Would they give up a pick to do it?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I don't think they will trade a player maybe a pick from the next draft I am not sure how all in the frontoffice is on this coaching staff

Verdict

Reaction score
ONLY way I trade DLaw is if its a deal that blows our doors off. For 2 first round picks,a 2nd and a mid round next year. MAYBE. That said, Defensive talent like this doesn't grow on trees. He is a force. That means we are counting on Gregory heavily and others to step it up. That's a HUGE ask. Byron is the trade I would make in a heartbeat. He isn't a ball hawk. If we can steal a late 1st or 2nd for him,coupled with a future mid rounder, I would do that. Makes too much sense not to.

Byron seems the easier to replace out of the two.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I trade away DLaw and now I have to go draft another pass rusher. I won't get one as good as DLaw on the open market for any less than DLaw wants, so I gotta draft one.

Same with moving Byron. Now I have to draft another guy in the secondary.

Either way, I lose a known commodity in exchange for a pick which is pigeonholed to an unknown commodity at the same position.

What's the point in drafting well if we move them when they start developing into their prime?

If it's up to me, I'm making the cap space elsewhere if needed, such as on Lee's contract.

Rayman70

Reaction score
this draft is QB weak..and kinda so so. Not the best draft at the top. BUT, DLINE seems to be pretty talented and deep. Round 2 seems like a great catbird seat to be sitting in if you wanna go up or down for a DT. I don't see us jumping up into round 1 unless Byron gets dealt.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I trade away DLaw and now I have to go draft another pass rusher. I won't get one as good as DLaw on the open market for any less than DLaw wants, so I gotta draft one.

Same with moving Byron. Now I have to draft another guy in the secondary.

Either way, I lose a known commodity in exchange for a pick which is pigeonholed to an unknown commodity at the same position.

What's the point in drafting well if we move them when they start developing into their prime?

If it's up to me, I'm making the cap space elsewhere if needed, such as on Lee's contract.
YES your spot on with Dlaw...BUT, we have Jourdain Lewis that we could plug in day one in place of Byron. No drop off and it may be an upgrade.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I think a trade is possible, but not for the guys you are thinking of. First Tank is a FA, So we'd have to do a second franchise to even consider having him available for a trade. The chances for that are very slim.

Bryon has one year remaining on his deal at about 6.2M. That makes the logistics of a trade more realistic, but that also leaves a big hole at starting CB. In my opinion, that's just not happening. Its not what the Cowboys do. Nor do I think they should do it.

Lee has very little trade value due to his injury history and age. I tihknk the plan with him is to 1)Wait and see if he chooses to retire. 2) If he want to continue playing, try to work out an extension/pay cut that spreads out his remaining cap hits for a few more years or 3) Cut him if we they can't reach an agreement. Right now Lee will cost 7M to keep and 3.5 in dead money to release. If we could add 2 more years (3 total) at 3.5 per year, That gives him 3.5 more in the long run, saves us 3.5 in 2019 and gives us an excellent rotational back up guy.
(edit: added Lee info)

The player we would most likely trade is Jourdan Lewis. He is young and has played fairly well when he's had a chance. He's proven (IMO) to have been worth a 3rd rounder when we took him, but is apparently not a scheme/style fit for Richards defense. With that mismatch being widely known, he could be an attractive player to other teams. Odds are the best we could do is another 3rd rounder, but we'd porbably take a hit and settle for a fourth. It might be better if we can find a team that also has a promising young player that doesn't fit that other teams system. We could get more value that way.

Last edited:

bb721

Reaction score
I believe someone would give a 1st for Tank.

Tank is a free agent after playing on the franchise tag this year. We can’t trade him unless he resigns with us. If we tag him again no one will give you a first for a guy on a one year contract. I’m not sure he would be inclined to sign a long term deal if he feels he would end up getting traded, would probably just take his chances in free agency and get to choose which team he ends up with.

Verdict

Reaction score
Tank is a free agent after playing on the franchise tag this year. We can’t trade him unless he resigns with us. If we tag him again no one will give you a first for a guy on a one year contract. I’m not sure he would be inclined to sign a long term deal if he feels he would end up getting traded, would probably just take his chances in free agency and get to choose which team he ends up with.

We can "tag" Tank and then enter into negotiations to trade his rights before he actually signs his franchise tag tender. It's probably to his advantage to work with us instead of playing under the FT again. It happens somewhat routinely.

I don't know if we will give Tank an $18M per year contract. I can say that if he plays under a second FT, that it becomes much more difficult to resign that player after the second franchise tag. It seldom happens.

So if we FT Tank, andhe actually plays under that tag, you can ALMOST assume it is a one year rental and that you may end up getting a comp pick for him (a late 3rd rounder maximum) for him on down the road.

It would be better to trade Tank for a first now than pay him $20m this year on a one year rental and then get a 3rd (max) on down the road for him.

So as I see it the odds are we either 1. Sign Tank to a long term deal. OR almost certainly are paying an outrageous one year rental and watch him walk after next season.

So if we can't sign him NOW we are going to be looking to trade him while we can get adequate compensation for him. That's the business side of things.

Sandyf

Reaction score

Sorry, neither Tank nor Byron are going anywhere. Deal will get done for Tank and depending on Cooper, Elliott, and Dak, we could see an extension for Byron.

Verdict

Reaction score
agree totally. Jordan Lewis could step right in full time and it might be an upgrade. THAT GUY is a ball hawk and true cover guy.

That's a possibility. We would need to draft another player to fill the void left by Byron, but that's a $50M savings minimum.

Verdict

Reaction score
Sorry, neither Tank nor Byron are going anywhere. Deal will get done for Tank and depending on Cooper, Elliott, and Dak, we could see an extension for Byron.

All of these guys are candidates for an extension. However, it isn't likely that ALL of them are getting extended.

Verdict

Reaction score

What if tank wants $23M per year. Do you still feel the same way about him? I personally don't think he's worth that. Tank resigning here is not a foregone conclusion.

You can't pay Tank to be the highest paid DE in the league when he's not worth that type of cap hit. You want to keep the player. So do I.

But we should have learned with the Dez contract not to pay an outrageous contract to a one trick pony player.