Willing to part with B. Jones. Hear me out

ItzKelz

Reaction score
One of the biggest topics in Cowboyland is who do we resign from our great drafts of 2015-2018. Here's the list for this season of FA.....
Player Pos. Type Cap Hit 2018
Players tagged or tendered

DeMarcus Lawrence DE UFA 17.1
David Irving DT UFA 2.9
2015 draft class
Damien Wilson OLB UFA 0.7
Geoff Swaim TE UFA 0.6
Veterans on expiring contracts
Cole Beasley WR UFA 3.4
L.P. Ladouceur LS UFA 1.1
Datone Jones DE UFA 0.8
Rod Smith RB UFA 0.7
One-year "Rentals"
Tavon Austin WR UFA 3.0
Cameron Fleming T UFA 2.5
Jamize Olawale FB UFA 2.0
Marcus Martin G UFA 0.9
Caraun Reid DE UFA 0.8
Darian Thompson FS UFA 0.7
Restricted Free Agents (ERFA)
Justin March-Lillard ILB RFA 0.6
Daniel Ross DT ERFA 0.5

From this list DLaw is the most important that you sign at almost any price. Khalil Mack who is the highest paid DE will average between 17-22mil over the length of his contract. I say front load DLaw Contract and when it hits year 3-5 it will be easier to get from under. Irving is willing to come back for a hometown discount. Treat him like Rolondo McClain and sign him yearly until he shows otherwise or you find someone to replace him. The rest will depend on our salary cap. Looking at the big picture Dak, Cooper, Jones Smith, and Zeke which is the CORE of this team is coming up the next 2-3 seasons. There's 2 ways I see this working out. Next season the NFL will add a Transition tag. The difference between the 2 is one only the team can negotiate with the franchise player that was tagged, while with the Transition tag any team can out bid the team that place the tag. I would consider this an option for Byron Jones. He is approaching his 5th year option this season. I would also consider trading him for either a first round pick to get back into the first round for a CB Stud in this years draft. We have the right front office staff in place to replace Jones. We also have the right coach in place who probably won't be around after this season in Kris Richards to coach up any CB be ready. I also believe Jourdan Lewis can fill the role. He's not Richards prototype of CB because oh his height. But he has a better nose for the ball than Jones, and we need to find out if he is keeper as he approaches the end of his rookie contract.....#Thoughts
We have the cap room to sign all of our FA; extend Dak and Zeke and sign Earl Thomas if we wanted. All this drama over the cap from Cowboys fans is kinda ridiculous.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
who? its easier said than done. and how much would that impactful player cost? and what does impactful mean? and don't forget butler plays for the GOAT, not Kris richards
Well that's the problem next year's free agent class is garbage at db. So we will be backed into a corner

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
You were wrong dude. Lol

and his instinct are incredible. Hence why he's one of the best mirror corners in the league and racks up PDs like crazy. This is all just made up.
If his instincts were so good he would read routes and jump them. And you are right, he is a good mirror corner who relies on athleticism to get PDs. Once he starts to lose that he will sink like the titanic.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Richards has only worked with these guys for one season and its possible Byron could be an even better player nest season. Sometimes not hearing a players name called often in a game is good thing. Byron has made some pretty good plays over the years. He isnt a shut down corner but is about as close as Dallas is going to get without making a trade for Patrick Peterson or Jalen Ramsey.
Problem is we heard his name a bunch towards the end of the reg season and the playoff games.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I would be willing to part with BJones as well.

Largely because we have drafted CB well and this Cover 1/3 system has elevated guys for a decade.
SEA has replaced like 5 different starting CB and continue to play well in coverage.

I think we could start Awuzie/Brown/Lewis and draft another CB round 2/3 and use that money plus pending comp pick elsewhere.

All that said I'd also be very willing to keep BJones for 5 years if the money isn't top 10 CB money.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I would be willing to part with BJones as well.

Largely because we have drafted CB well and this Cover 1/3 system has elevated guys for a decade.
SEA has replaced like 5 different starting CB and continue to play well in coverage.

I think we could start Awuzie/Brown/Lewis and draft another CB round 2/3 and use that money plus pending comp pick elsewhere.

All that said I'd also be very willing to keep BJones for 5 years if the money isn't top 10 CB money.

No, we haven't.

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
We have the cap room to sign all of our FA; extend Dak and Zeke and sign Earl Thomas if we wanted. All this drama over the cap from Cowboys fans is kinda ridiculous.
No we don't don't . If DLaw get's 20mil per year and they they decide to sign Dak now that's over 50 mil in those 2 players

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
I disagree, we have spent several drafts and resources to find that shut down corner you can leave on an island and we now found one. to let him go, would db foolish. He doesn't have the greatest hands, but his primary job is to stop completions, secondary is Ints..... I don't want to lose Jones.
Jones is not that corner. Go look at the end of the season. He was letting receivers get behind him. He's not Revis

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Jones is not that corner. Go look at the end of the season. He was letting receivers get behind him. He's not Revis

99% of receivers aren't - and while he certainly fell off at the end of the season, his play was nowhere near the level of "let's just let him walk".

Stop exaggerating.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I’m using the fifth year option and then depending on his performance, I either pay him market value or I try to match an offer. If he walks we got Lewis, I wanted him to start before the season began anyways....

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
99% of receivers aren't - and while he certainly fell off at the end of the season, his play was nowhere near the level of "let's just let him walk".

Stop exaggerating.
Never said let him walk. You can trade him to get back in the first round this season. Or tag and trade him next season.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
No we don't don't . If DLaw get's 20mil per year and they they decide to sign Dak now that's over 50 mil in those 2 players
You have to understand how the cap works. For example we made Zack Martin the highest paid guard in the NFL last season and his cap impact went down. Why? Up front guaranteed money lowers you annual check. It's chess not checkers.

Rockdoc

Reaction score

Stop exaggerating.

i can see why some want to let him go but what if the second year at CB, he explodes? we will regret maybe we can keep for reasonable price and bonus base on performance (real not "pro bowl"

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
You have to understand how the cap works. For example we made Zack Martin the highest paid guard in the NFL last season and his cap impact went down. Why? Up front guaranteed money lowers you annual check. It's chess not checkers.[
I think you are not counting the dead money when a player leaves or gets cut. Why did it take so long to clear Romo and Dez's contracts off the books?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Never said let him walk. You can trade him to get back in the first round this season. Or tag and trade him next season.

Getting first round picks is not that easy, and this is not a sure bet. Again, I have no idea why you're eager to let go of a top 15 corner....

Who are you betting on to replace him? Awuzie? He's inconsistent and gets beat far more than Jones. Lewis? Hasn't shown a thing. Brown? He will be lucky to get a second contract with us.

What sure bet you seeing in the draft that will come in and immediately give us the production Jones gave us last year?

Again, you folks have too much time on your hands and overthink these things. Jones should be resigned unless he's asking for a crap ton of money and I'm not even the biggest fan of the guy.