Willing to part with B. Jones. Hear me out

kskboys

Reaction score
Getting first round picks is not that easy, and this is not a sure bet. Again, I have no idea why you're eager to let go of a top 15 corner....

Who are you betting on to replace him? Awuzie? He's inconsistent and gets beat far more than Jones. Lewis? Hasn't shown a thing. Brown? He will be lucky to get a second contract with us.

What sure bet you seeing in the draft that will come in and immediately give us the production Jones gave us last year?

Again, you folks have too much time on your hands and overthink these things. Jones should be resigned unless he's asking for a crap ton of money and I'm not even the biggest fan of the guy.
Yeah, I'm not a huge Jones fan myself, but if you let him walk you had better have a viable replacement already in hand.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

More likely a 4th or 5th, but ththe principal remains the same.

It is funny you suggested a 3rd and Byron for him though lol. Considering it is widely speculated his value is around a conditional 4th by those in the know.

What's your take on #20 and Brown for Patrick Peterson and their 5th? 60% of Pitt fans said yes.

Last edited:

Blackspider214

Reaction score
There is nothing special about Jones. He was a combine warrior when we drafted him. And he's a product of PFF telling everyone how great he is. But he's average at best. I would expect someone rated as a top corner as they did to actually be out there making plays. Which he doesn't do. He's very expendable.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
There is nothing special about Jones. He was a combine warrior when we drafted him. And he's a product of PFF telling everyone how great he is. But he's average at best. I would expect someone rated as a top corner as they did to actually be out there making plays. Which he doesn't do. He's very expendable.

Lol talk about uninformed

mattjames2010

Reaction score

PFF is telling us he slipped a bit at the end of the season, which is exactly what everyone here is suggesting. Yet, for some reason, since he was ranked highly early on in the season....we shouldn't listen.

Look, we all want shut down corners who are also ball hawks. That's ideal - no one is claiming Jones is Revis. However, this "run everyone out of town without replacing" is bad football management. Why do you want that so bad?

CPanther95

Reaction score
More likely a 4th or 5th, but ththe principal remains the same.

It is funny you suggested a 3rd and Byron for him though lol. Considering it is widely speculated his value is around a conditional 4th by those in the know.

What's your take on #20 and Brown for Patrick Peterson and their 5th? 60% of Pitt fans said yes.

Trust me, if they are saying a conditional 4th, those aren't the guys in the know.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Getting first round picks is not that easy, and this is not a sure bet. Again, I have no idea why you're eager to let go of a top 15 corner....

Who are you betting on to replace him? Awuzie? He's inconsistent and gets beat far more than Jones. Lewis? Hasn't shown a thing. Brown? He will be lucky to get a second contract with us.

What sure bet you seeing in the draft that will come in and immediately give us the production Jones gave us last year?

Again, you folks have too much time on your hands and overthink these things. Jones should be resigned unless he's asking for a crap ton of money and I'm not even the biggest fan of the guy.
I personally think Lewis is the 2nd best corner on the team. I don't trust this staff to make the right moves at secondary. Should be Jones and Lewis outside with chido in the slot where he excelled at playing in college.

nobody

Reaction score
I would resign Byron Jones cheap this offseason, because he is likely to improve this summer under Richard's tutelage. What if he has a monster year in 2019? He will be much more expensive to keep, which we will definitely want to by then.

I agree. While he's not an interception machine, he was a shut down corner this season, which is still awesome. His years previous to this last season shouldn't really count since he was forced to do that stupid position flex or played out of his natural position, which hampered his development.

I also think Richard's tutelage will only improve him.

Given the team's list of needs, getting rid of one of the better secondary players seems like a dumb idea.

75boyz

Reaction score
I’m using the fifth year option and then depending on his performance, I either pay him market value or I try to match an offer. If he walks we got Lewis, I wanted him to start before the season began anyways....

Me too. I thought Lewis was the better of the 2 draftees based on performance and when both Brown and Awuzie, in addition to Jones, all got the nod at more snaps over Lewis to start the season, I was a little confused.

Then the narrative of how Richard prefers a taller corner ( like he had with Sherman in Seattle) came about and it was like Lewis was the odd man out. As If 2017 never happened in which I thought he outplayed both Awuzie and Brown. Oh well, what do I know...Just another armchair GM calling it like I see it. Guess Coach Richard sees something else.

75boyz

Reaction score
I would be willing to part with BJones as well.

Largely because we have drafted CB well and this Cover 1/3 system has elevated guys for a decade.
SEA has replaced like 5 different starting CB and continue to play well in coverage.

I think we could start Awuzie/Brown/Lewis and draft another CB round 2/3 and use that money plus pending comp pick elsewhere.

All that said I'd also be very willing to keep BJones for 5 years if the money isn't top 10 CB money.

Nice post.

Verdict

Reaction score
Never seen an organization's fans so willing to get rid of their own homegrown talent.

If the Zone got it's way we'd let Lawrence and Jones walk.
That may be the right move. It depends on the money. Some of you love to prentend that there is no salary cap.

I would be all for paying them if there was no salary cap. But there is, as this is not the land of rainbows and unicorns.

Verdict

Reaction score
Well, can this team really afford to pay big dollars to Zeke, Cooper, Lawrence, Jones and the QB to add with three big contracts they already have along the offensive line?

Not if we want to have depth. Picture Green playing instead of Looney. Oh, the horror!!

ondaedg

Reaction score
Kyle Fuller got a 4 year $56 million extension from the Bears last offseason. I'd be willing to put that same contract offer in front of Byron right now.

Kyle Fuller had 8 INTs this year.
Byron Jones has a total of 2....for his entire 4yr career.

You still want to pay Jones $56 mil?

ondaedg

Reaction score
oh, so your entire premise is regarding Interceptions.....so being a shut down corner where QBs avoid you doesn't matter? getting off the field on 3rd downs is not important, taking half the field away from other opposing QBs, is not relevant. but Ints does....so where do you find these CBs that are not allergic to footballs as you said, in FA or draft....and how much do they cost? you sound like you are just complaining, but haven't offered an alternative that's better...just complaining.... unless you have a better alternative that would make this team better...this conversation is done.

Turnovers may be the single most important stat in football so his lack of INTs across his entire career is a big deal. And Jones gave up big catches against the Rams. His style of playing the defender and not the ball is high risk low reward which is why his only 2 INTs in 4 years came from a tipped pass and an end of half hail mary.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
That may be the right move. It depends on the money. Some of you love to prentend that there is no salary cap.

I would be all for paying them if there was no salary cap. But there is, as this is not the land of rainbows and unicorns.
IF you think it's smart to NOT pay your twenty something year old pro bowlers then who in the world do you want to pay? What you're saying is pseudo intelligent gibberish.

Verdict

Reaction score
IF you think it's smart to NOT pay your twenty something year old pro bowlers then who in the world do you want to pay? What you're saying is pseudo intelligent gibberish.

I guess coming from you that means that I'm on solid ground and on the right track. Lol.