Willing to part with B. Jones. Hear me out

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Never seen an organization's fans so willing to get rid of their own homegrown talent.

If the Zone got it's way we'd let Lawrence and Jones walk.
I sort of get what he is suggesting with Jones.

But why make CB changes just when we have worked thru the failures of Claiborne and company?

If you are concerned with his cap numbers..

start with letting guys like Crawford go first...

he is grossly overpaid and the FO panicked and signed him to a big contract when Gregory was struggling and Tank was dealing with suspensions and injuries.

Cleaning Crawford and Lee off the books frees up like $8 mil each for the cap. Lee is leaving anyway.

Release Heath another progress stopper and save more cap..

..but sign Earl Thomas and let him and Richard work together to get the secondary solid.

Once we do this..you see what happens.

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
I sort of get what he is suggesting with Jones.

But why make CB changes just when we have worked thru the failures of Claiborne and company?

If you are concerned with his cap numbers..

start with letting guys like Crawford go first...

he is grossly overpaid and the FO panicked and signed him to a big contract when Gregory was struggling and Tank was dealing with suspensions and injuries.

Cleaning Crawford and Lee off the books frees up like $8 mil each for the cap. Lee is leaving anyway.

Release Heath another progress stopper and save more cap..

..but sign Earl Thomas and let him and Richard work together to get the secondary solid.

Once we do this..you see what happens.
Crawford's value is he is willing to play DT and DE. I agree it's a bad contract, I think it's the last year for it. I believe Jones is replaceable and we don't need to resign everyone.

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
PFF is telling us he slipped a bit at the end of the season, which is exactly what everyone here is suggesting. Yet, for some reason, since he was ranked highly early on in the season....we shouldn't listen.

Look, we all want shut down corners who are also ball hawks. That's ideal - no one is claiming Jones is Revis. However, this "run everyone out of town without replacing" is bad football management. Why do you want that so bad?[
This team has one of the best talent evaluators in the league in Will McKlay. I believe Jourdan Lewis would holds Jones replacement and we draft a replacement in case he doesn't. How did this team do in 2017 draft in the secondary? If you want to succeed in the NFL you have to turn over the roster. Can't pay everyone.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I agree. While he's not an interception machine, he was a shut down corner this season, which is still awesome. His years previous to this last season shouldn't really count since he was forced to do that stupid position flex or played out of his natural position, which hampered his development.

I also think Richard's tutelage will only improve him.

Given the team's list of needs, getting rid of one of the better secondary players seems like a dumb idea.
Exactly, Monkey. Spot on. Very dumb idea to get rid of Byron Jones.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

We haven’t drafted well with the secondary - “Lewis can hold Jones replacement” - what the heck has he shown that makes you think he can even be a full time starter or even play the outside?

You’re wanting to rip apart this defense for the sake of ripping it apart. And we don’t have a first round pick, so there goes the idea of a stud in the first round to replace Jones. So, you’re okay going into the season with Awuzie, Lewis, and Brown? Are you kidding me?

Some of you need a vacation from here. The off-season and the armchair owner stuff has you folks going through way too many scenarios.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Jones played pretty well. He got caught a few times, I think he got bored.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Why would we be willing to part with players that made this defense a good defense finally. We need to pay Tank and keep Byron as well. Finally get a defense and people are afraid to pay them . It is kind of stupid!

If it was any other teams players the same people would be saying "go get him in FA"

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Turnovers may be the single most important stat in football so his lack of INTs across his entire career is a big deal. And Jones gave up big catches against the Rams. His style of playing the defender and not the ball is high risk low reward which is why his only 2 INTs in 4 years came from a tipped pass and an end of half hail mary.
turnover s are important, so is getting off the field on 3rd downs. if you get turnovers, like marcus peters, tend to go for, but allow completions and 3rd down conversion and extend drives, not sure if its worth the 5 Ints you get in a year. I rather get off the field, would I like turnovers? yes. but again, I rather get off the field.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Jones is not that corner. Go look at the end of the season. He was letting receivers get behind him. He's not Revis
he is not revis, that's rare in the NFL.

I think towards the end of the year, after saints game our DL started to decline in performance. less pressure. less sacks. which put a lot of pressure on the DB field.

Verdict

Reaction score
Crawford's value is he is willing to play DT and DE. I agree it's a bad contract, I think it's the last year for it. I believe Jones is replaceable and we don't need to resign everyone.

The advantage of letting Crawford play out his contract is that once he leaves in free agency the following year we have at least a shot of getting a comp pick for him.

sideon

Reaction score
Can't pay him Revis or Sherman type money because he's not a threat like they were, and teams did start to throw more his way when they realized that he had poor ball skills.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
It’s hard for me to say let him go when we haven’t had a secondary coach come in like Richard in awhile. I thought Jones was ranked top tier this past season?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Even he never mentioned a conditional 4th for AB.

And LOL that Trevor Sikkema is your "those in the know".

They said 3rd or 4th, there were others rumoring a conditional 4th which could still happen.

Wait so 7 league executives aren't "in the know? LOL.

Byron and a 3rd for Brown LOL

CPanther95

Reaction score
They said 3rd or 4th, there were others rumoring a conditional 4th which could still happen.

Wait so 7 league executives aren't "in the know? LOL.

Byron and a 3rd for Brown LOL

What 7 executives "in the know" said a conditional 4th? I'll give you plenty of time to Google.

Seems now you're stretching it to a 4th or 3rd.