Win Loss records over the last 10 years

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Pointing to the post-season records is a category error. That is changing the subject.

The point of THIS THREAD is that the Cowboys have been successfully fielding a competitive team over the past decade. In 9 of 11 seasons with Garrett as OC or Head Coach, the team has only finished with a losing record twice. And in one of those years, when elevated to HC after Phillips was fired mid-season, Garrett actually led the team to recover and have a 5-3 record in the 2nd half of the season after a 1-7 start due to the defense quitting on Wade Phillips. And Garrett accomplished that with a backup QB.

That is the point of THIS THREAD.

And the underlying point is that for all the whining about the lack of willingness to field a winning team by the front office, the facts don't support that argument. Top 6 out of 32 teams is the top 20%, not middle of the pack mediocre. That's probably why Garrett and Will McClay still have jobs.

Now, if you want to start a thread about the lack of playoff success, I'd be happy to participate in a critique of Garrett's coaching acumen in the post season. But it's hardly fair to blame the front office for the coaching failures of the team in the post-season. They've given the coaching staff enough talent to win. So it's not quite accurate to blame the front office...except for the lack of an adequate backup QB in 2015. You can blame the front office for that fiasco.

Agree. Opportunities were there. They weren't taken advantage of.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
You've stated that we have the worst, most lazy front office in the league despite all objective data arguing against that. You either need to own that or tone down at least some of your 90 negative posts a day. But blowing off something that directly contradicts essentially the entirety of your posting history shouldn't be an option.
FvfVzZw.gif

HungryLion

Reaction score
The cowboys are effectively 9-7 average over the past 10 years in the regular season.

20th place is effectively 8-8.

What that tells me, is what most people here already know.

They have been mediocre, average, middle of the pack.

Combine that with the lack of any significant playoff success, and it makes it much worse.

There are a couple teams below the cowboys who have won a Super Bowl in that time frame and another that went to a super bowl.

When you actually look at the numbers, then being “10th overall” means nothing. They are 1 game a season better than 20th place.

What matters, is the post season.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The Fan Boys whole belief system is tied into the idea that the Cowboys are the very best. As more and more time passes from tangible evidence of them being the best, i.e. Super Bowl championships, they are scrambling to provide any evidence that supports their beliefs and claims.

Regular season records, TV ratings, franchise value, and coach of the year honors have all become substitutions for championships.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I know we are in the midst of some serious overreaction. And the armchair GMs are in full display. But let's not lose sight of the facts.

The chirping wants us to believe we are and have been one of the worst franchises over the course of the last decade.

Care to guess where we actually do rank...

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/every-nfl-teams-10-year-record-ranked-32-1-010417?amp=true

Does this rank by playoffs appearances or wins?:huh:

Oh dam, that's right..........we don't talk about playoffs around here anymore, its regular season wins, moral victories, and ice cream parties:thumbup:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I’ve pointed this out many, many times. Doesn’t matter, playoff wins or clean house seems to be the consensus.

I know Idgit, how dare Cowboy fans use playoffs instead of regular season victories as a measuring stick.

We went 9-7 last year dam it !!!!:yourock:

Where is the appreciation for what Garrett is building here?

Bunch of ingrate fans that don't appreciate being "generally competitive".:angry:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know Idgit, how dare Cowboy fans use playoffs instead of regular season victories as a measuring stick.

We went 9-7 last year dam it !!!!:yourock:

Where is the appreciation for what Garrett is building here?

Bunch of ingrate fans that don't appreciate being "generally competitive".:angry:

Hey, I’m all for using both. You can’t get the playoff wins without the regular season wins, remember. And we’ll get farther in the playoffs if we take improving the quality of the players on defense more seriously.

You should appreciate the fact that we’ve had a competitive team here recently. You don’t, but you should.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Hey, I’m all for using both. You can’t get the playoff wins without the regular season wins, remember. And we’ll get farther in the playoffs if we take improving the quality of the players on defense more seriously.

You should appreciate the fact that we’ve had a competitive team here recently. You don’t, but you should.

You know I like to joke around Idigt, I'm just giving you a hard time.:laugh:

On a serious note my friend, this makes Garrett look even worse. How? Because the front office has been supplying the coaching staff with talent, enough talent that they rank fairly high in regular season wins compared to the rest of the league.

The main difference, like another poster stated, is that every other team in that top 10 list has made it to the SB, except Dallas. If that is not an incitement of the coaching staff, I don't know what is. The team has the talent to win just as many regular season games as the other top teams, but they advance in the playoffs and Dallas doesn't. Why?

And if the answer is "lack of talent on defense", then why do all the other teams on the list not have a similar problem? In other words, how can Dallas have the talent to win just as many regular season games as the top teams, but is the only team of that group not to win in the playoffs?

Why is Dallas the only team in the top 10 to not win in the playoffs, despite winning just as many regular season games? Serious question.

TWOK11

Reaction score

It amazes me the lack of perspective many here have. Yes, it is very frustrating going 20+ years without a title after winning 5 in less than a quarter century. Yes, we have had numerous failures as a franchise since 1995. But the fact remains many fanbases have had teams consistently out of contention by November over the last 23 seasons. Since 1995, Dallas has either made the playoffs or had the opportunity to do so by playing meaningful games in December/January 16 times. Nearly half the franchises in pro football have had 10 or less such seasons in that span. A HUGE portion of NFL franchises are not only worse than us but much worse, and their fanbases far more frustrated.

And again, I understand we have "different standard". That's fine, even good perhaps, but this board HAS to stop acting like we're the Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals or Detroit Lions. Dallas has been consistently competitive despite our ultimate failure to win a title since 1995.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know I like to joke around Idigt, I'm just giving you a hard time.:laugh:

On a serious note my friend, this makes Garrett look even worse. How? Because the front office has been supplying the coaching staff with talent, enough talent that they rank fairly high in regular season wins compared to the rest of the league.

The main difference, like another poster stated, is that every other team in that top 10 list has made it to the SB, except Dallas. If that is not an incitement of the coaching staff, I don't know what is. The team has the talent to win just as many regular season games as the other top teams, but they advance in the playoffs and Dallas doesn't. Why?

And if the answer is "lack of talent on defense", then why do all the other teams on the list not have a similar problem? In other words, how can Dallas have the talent to win just as many regular season games as the top teams, but is the only team of that group not to win in the playoffs?

Why is Dallas the only team in the top 10 to not win in the playoffs, despite winning just as many regular season games? Serious question.

Probably because they’ve been at the bottom of that list of ten teams because the talent on defense isn’t great and we’ve whiffed on too many long shots like Gregory and Jaylon and Hardy and R. McClain trying to take shortcuts on that side of the ball.

That said, you know I think this team was right there in the NFC in 2014 and again in 2016. Sometimes it’s who you draw. Sometimes it’s a bad call. Sometimes the ball just bounces funny. But both of those games came down to one or two plays.

And because our defense wasn’t very good either year, you know why it is I keep saying to fix that and keep going with what we’ve got. It shouldn’t be hard to move a mediocre defense to a good one with a couple of better players. Harder to upgrade an offense that’s generally been very good.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It amazes me the lack of perspective many here have. Yes, it is very frustrating going 20+ years without a title after winning 5 in less than a quarter century. Yes, we have had numerous failures as a franchise since 1995. But the fact remains many fanbases have had teams consistently out of contention by November over the last 23 seasons. Since 1995, Dallas has either made the playoffs or had the opportunity to do so by playing meaningful games in December/January 16 times. Nearly half the franchises in pro football have had 10 or less such seasons in that span. A HUGE portion of NFL franchises are not only worse than us but much worse, and their fanbases far more frustrated.

And again, I understand we have "different standard". That's fine, even good perhaps, but this board HAS to stop acting like we're the Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals or Detroit Lions. Dallas has been consistently competitive despite our ultimate failure to win a title since 1995.

Yes, yes of course.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I know we are in the midst of some serious overreaction. And the armchair GMs are in full display. But let's not lose sight of the facts.

The chirping wants us to believe we are and have been one of the worst franchises over the course of the last decade.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/every-nfl-teams-10-year-record-ranked-32-1-010417?amp=true

This was the picture for Dallas as of Jan '17:

Dallas Cowboys (92-68)
The Cowboys have finished .500 or better in eight of the past 10 seasons, but had been to the playoffs just once in the past six years before this season's resurgence.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Probably because they’ve been at the bottom of that list of ten teams because the talent on defense isn’t great and we’ve whiffed on too many long shots like Gregory and Jaylon and Hardy and R. McClain trying to take shortcuts on that side of the ball.

That said, you know I think this team was right there in the NFC in 2014 and again in 2016. Sometimes it’s who you draw. Sometimes it’s a bad call. Sometimes the ball just bounces funny. But both of those games came down to one or two plays.

And because our defense wasn’t very good either year, you know why it is I keep saying to fix that and keep going with what we’ve got. It shouldn’t be hard to move a mediocre defense to a good one with a couple of better players. Harder to upgrade an offense that’s generally been very good.

Green Bay had been in the playoffs, what, 8 of 10 Seasons ... and Dallas received the Dak 'non - catch.'

CCBoy

Reaction score
We're actually 10th. That article is more than a year old.

1 Patriots 123-37
2 Steelers 106-54
3 Packers 100-59-1
4 Saints 95-65
5 Falcons 95-65
6 Ravens 94-66
7 Broncos 92-68
8 Colts 91-69
9 Eagles 89-70-1
10 Cowboys 88-72

Dallas dropped four slots with a 9 win season...

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
So what I'm getting out of this thread is this: screw playoff success, suck it up and be happy the team is "competitive" and has compiled an average, mediocre regular season record for 22 years and counting.

Its a good thing our forefathers didn't feel simply being competitive was enough. We wouldn't have a country now.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Man you deserve a medal of valor for that post. 6'th eh? I had them at 10'th over the past 10 years and that pissed many fans off but 6'th, 6'th!! Thanks for posting that. To the arm chair owners, GM's and HC's chime in altogether now... WAAAAAAAAH! Group hug and tissues for ya

Jumbo075

Reaction score

I agree.

Up until mid-season last year, the Cowboys were averaging over 28 ppg with a rookie/sophmore QB at the helm who is still learning how to play the position. They were ranked top 5 in both scoring and yards. Then there was a hiccup in the 2nd half of last season, and Dak Prescott showed his inexperience. The #1 way for the Cowboys offense to improve is for Dak Prescott to improve. The quickest way to help that is to repair the breach in the Oline that occurred at LG last year. Other than that, the offense is pretty darn good. They need a new FB, although Rod Smith might take that role, and some backups at QB, Oline, and RB.

Defense is another story. There are at least 4 gaping holes that need to be filled, and some would argue up to 7 holes - depending on the health of 2 linebackers, and the development of a RDE from the recent draft pool of Charlton, Tapper and Gregory. So defense is where the focus needs to remain. A replacement for Lee needs to be found in the next two drafts - much like the Cowboys had to find replacements for Romo and Ware when they reached the point where their bodies wouldn't hold up anymore. The 5 positions that seem set are the 3 CB positions, LDE and 3-tech DT. Everything else needs either improvement (from within or without) or reinforcements.

Here are some possible areas for improvement from within:
  • Jaylon Smith become fully healthy and the LB instincts he showed in college return as the game slows down for him
  • Kavon Frazier and/or Xavier Woods develop into quality players
  • one of the trio of Charlton, Tapper or Gregory proves capable of shoving aside Tyrone Crawford and claiming the starting RDE position
  • Dak Prescott refines his mechanics, and becomes a better passer, which improves the play of the WR corps.
  • Rico Gathers recovers from his near skull fracture of a year ago, and becomes the threat he showed he could be in the early pre-season games last year.
Here are the definite needs that must be filled from outside
  • Left Guard - the Cowboys currently don't have a left guard on the team, unless they move Collins back from RT, which then means they need a new Right Tackle
  • 1-tech Defensive Tackle - the Cowboys are getting by with Collins playing out of position, and a depth guy. They don't have a legiitmate starter at the 1-tech position.
  • Middle LB - if Smith is moving to SAM, then the MIKE LB spot must be filled with a run stopper for rushing downs at the very least.
  • Backup Oline - the Cowboys top 4 linemen are solid to spectacular. But the depth has gone away. They need a swing tackle, a backup interior lineman, and a couple more developmental players.
  • Fullback - with Smith bolting to the Raiders, the Cowboys need a guy to become the lead blocker on running plays.
  • Backup WILL linebacker - the Cowboys need a replacement for Lee on the roster sooner than later.
  • Speed WR - the Cowboys need a 4th receiver who is capable of both stretching the field, and challenging for an outside starting receiver position. Dak actually had a high completion percentage with Butler running the deep routes because he could get behind the defense.
  • Backup RB - with Morris saying he won't return, the Cowboys need depth - especially if they move Rod Smith to FB.
  • Backup QB - I like Cooper Rush, but the Cowboys need a developmental QB that can run the team if Dak falters over the next year
The Cowboys could use a top line free safety to provide umbrella coverage on the backend. Maybe Xavier Woods is that guy, but we don't know. Jessie Bates in the 2nd or 3rd round is the best bet if the Cowboys are unable to land either Fitzpatrick or James in the first round.

First round strategy should be more about finding the best player than filling needs. We don't necessarily have an immediate need at FS or WILL LB. But if a player like Roquan Smith or Derwin James falls, then you take them, and don't look back. Guards and 1-tech DT's can be found later in the draft. And this WR is class is BOTH weak at the top, and deep in the middle. There are a number of players with 4.45 speed or better to be had at all levels of the draft. Waiting to draft a speed-demon makes more sense. A great WR with an unimproved Dak Prescott would be a wasted pick with little to no return on investment. Until Dak proves he is the real deal, the best way to improve the team is to improve the defense. The offense is already good enough.

CCBoy

Reaction score
So what I'm getting out of this thread is this: screw playoff success, suck it up and be happy the team is "competitive" and has compiled an average, mediocre regular season record for 22 years and counting.

Its a good thing our forefathers didn't feel simply being competitive was enough. We wouldn't have a country now.

Once a team starts to make it to the playoff level, then the question becomes why the team failed. Not, an abstract of no value...c'mon, every one knows that final finishes are cherished.

Jumbo075

Reaction score

Then you're getting the wrong thing out of this thread. This thread is about THE FRONT OFFICE SUPPLYING TALENT SUFFICIENT TO COMPETE AND SUCCEED, which can be shown by the team's regular season success in comparison to other NFL teams. Playoff success is more about execution than lack of talent. That is the responsibility of the coaching staff and players - not the front office.

This thread is meant to rebut the hyper-criticism of the front office, which is NOT justified given the recent track record of success. This thread is NOT meant to rebut criticism of playoff failures. That is a different subject, which you apparently are not understanding.

It is possible to be BOTH complimentary of the front office ability to collect talent, and critical of the coaching staff's inability to use that talent to achieve more playoff success. You are the one conflating the two subjects, not the author of the original post.

What he's arguing for is placing more trust in the player acquisition strategy of a front office that's produced more appearances by Pro Bowl players over the last 15 seasons than any other NFL team. The strategy of the front office has proven successful, and doesn't merit the over-the-top criticism of those who bash it for not rushing out to overpay a bunch of free agents.

It is an indictment of the team's coaches that they have been unable to use that acquired talent properly in the post season. But again, that is a topic FOR A DIFFERENT THREAD. I encourage you to go start that thread, instead of trying to hijack this one.