With Cowboys Going Bust, Jerry Jones Needs The Boom Of Oklahoma's Lincoln Riley

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Just keep finding someone from the Andy Reid tree. The Chiefs' waterboy probably would be better than Garrett

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm not claiming to be the head coach. Therefore, my personal decisions do not have the same impact or requirements. It's far different to assess something as a part time hobby than to do so as a full time job, is it not?

And my own position on him right now is the same one I'm advocating for the team and the next head coach to have. Evaluate him for another year under a new staff and shame, don't extend him. But don't write him off because he's currently coached by a bunch of morons either.
The bigger problem is #1 Moron with the Cowboys wants him and has already stated he’s extending him.

I’d argue that the old coach and new coach will have the same problem at QB and same #1 Moron to deal with and why it appears the Dakster is taking everyone down with him.

It’s going to very interesting to see how our new puppet will deal with this situation differently.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Look around. Read up on it. You can start with the article I started this thread with. It appears you haven't yet.
Just read your link.

It’s a total speculative article as I suspicioned and even ended there’s no indications Riley would be interested in going to NFL.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The bigger problem is #1 Moron with the Cowboys wants him and has already stated he’s extending him.

I’d argue that the old coach and new coach will have the same problem at QB and same #1 Moron to deal with and why it appears the Dakster is taking everyone down with him.

It’s going to very interesting to see how our new puppet will deal with this situation differently.

OK, you made me laugh with the "moron #1" comment, that was good!
:lmao:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just read your link.

It’s a total speculative article as I suspicioned and even ended there’s no indications Riley would be interested in going to NFL.

Don't get yourself worked up regarding a situation that will take several more months to resolve itself one way or another. Much like you're doing to yourself getting all worked up over Jerry's "Dak extension" comments. Worry about it when we get there.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Crazy thought we lure Riley Here for 2019 and 2020 somehow Get Kyler Murray his QB ? I mean with all the Rage with Tua, Herbert, and that qb class maybe a Murray finds a way into our hands..good points being made by college experts that Tua may be getting all the attention this season but Murrays has better numbers across the board and will be just as much a Heiman favorite, im betting AL having all that extra talent and only one more win, and legendary coach can actually take few votes away and give them to a Murray..

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
The Cowboys have a maverick owner in Jerry Jones, but he's still not above the NFL being a copycat league. With his team at 3-5 in 2018 and getting farther away from playoff contention, all signs to him to making his first head-coaching change in eight years.

Because this is Jones and because this is the Cowboys, expect him to try to go big to replace longtime favorite Jason Garrett — with Oklahoma's Lincoln Riley. Why Riley? He represents the perfect candidate to reboot America's Team.

There will no repeat of 2014 or 2016 for Dallas, when it won the NFC East on the foundation of its running game and defense, with Jones building two strong fronts. In the year of the passing and scoring explosion, the Cowboys are desperately playing catch up and it's not working.

Quarterback Dak Prescott is carrying over his sophomore slump from last season and until the trade for Amari Cooper — when they overpaid with a first-round pick — Prescott was struggling with the NFC's worst receiving corps. With some offensive line injuries and the Cowboys no longer dominating on the ground with Ezekiel Elliott, Prescott hasn't been equipped with the personnel or play-calling to reach the level of his stellar rookie year.

The morning after the Cowboys lost 28-14 at home to the Titans on Monday night, Jones came out and said Prescott was safe as the long-term QB for the Cowboys and is still in line for a major contract extension sometime in '19. At the same time, Jones gave the dreaded unofficial vote of confidence to Garrett, less so for offensive coordinator Scott Linehan.

Jones doesn't want to make a midseason move on Garrett, à la when he promoted Garrett to replace Wade Phillips in '10. That team was 1-7 after a 11-5 season and there was no choice but to save face.

But there's a good bet when the calendar turns into 2019 after a non-playoff season, Jones will do something reminiscent of 25 years ago: Make the successful leader of the Sooners an offer he couldn't refuse to take over the Cowboys.

When Jones turned to Barry Switzer, however, he went for an established college winner to maintain a dynasty. When Jones makes the inevitable call to sell Riley, it will be for a 35-year-old offensive genius born to take the biggest football job of his native Texas.

Riley's coaching, first as quarterbacks coach and then offensive coordinator at Oklahoma, helped Baker Mayfield become a Heisman-winning sensation and, more important for the Cowboys' purposes, a QB worthy of the draft's first overall pick. He's doing great things again with Kyler Murray.

Someone who can get the very best out of Prescott's strong arm and athleticism should be atop Dallas' wish list. Riley would bring a lot of creativity and versatility that's been sorely missing from the offense with Garrett and Linehan, who continue to employ predictable, easily defended game plans.

Read the rest here:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...coln-riley-oklahoma/xcn5ygc90mny1necevwc59qbh
Riley is my guy. It would be a dream come true.

ShortRound

Reaction score
The truth will set you free.

FYI... I’ve spewed out the same smart suggestions you are over a decade ago. Cowboys are highest profile team, most wealthiest. Make it the highest paid and get out of the way and the greatest coaches will line up. But Jerry won’t. Don’t believe me just watch.

Imagine how succcessful we would be if Jerry would just do that. Step back. He could attract the best of the best if he wanted.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Don't get yourself worked up regarding a situation that will take several more months to resolve itself one way or another. Much like you're doing to yourself getting all worked up over Jerry's "Dak extension" comments. Worry about it when we get there.

You throw a speculative article out there to discuss but if the discussion doesn’t fit your narrative then you want to dismiss it as just speculative. Lol

Can’t have it both ways buddy..

Maybe you should take a beak until there’s something more definitive to discuss. Otherwise we’re just discussing our opinions without any results or facts:)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Imagine how succcessful we would be if Jerry would just do that. Step back. He could attract the best of the best if he wanted.
I understand but anytime your confronted with a handicap the first order of business is accepting the limits which are placed on you and configuring how to overcome within the parameters allowed.

It’s why I’ve stressed addressing our dysfunctional situation with a more realistic solution.

If Jerry isn’t going to allow the type of HC and staff the power to manage themselves then we need to look for the best means to overcome which IMO is talent. And what position is the most important on the field? That’s where I’d start.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You throw a speculative article out there to discuss but if the discussion doesn’t fit your narrative then you want to dismiss it as just speculative. Lol

Can’t have it both ways buddy..

Maybe you should take a beak until there’s something more definitive to discuss. Otherwise we’re just discussing our opinions without any results or facts:)

You're the guy asking for definitive answers when none are coming. I know what you're trying to do here, but you're failing miserably.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You're the guy asking for definitive answers when none are coming. I know what you're trying to do here, but you're failing miserably.
I don’t think there are any definite answers. At least none that will bring us the satisfaction we’re looking for. And you appear under the impression we have some realistic solutions.

Until you accept the dysfunctional situation we operate under only then can you begin looking for logical solutions within the parameters Jerry will allow.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep .

With the wealthiest franchise on the planet Jerry could make this the most attractive job in the NFL much like stathero has suggested but until Jerry steps aside it’s the least attractive.

Why would any professional near the top of their field want to go to this situation Instead of others ??????

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The Cowboys have a maverick owner in Jerry Jones, but he's still not above the NFL being a copycat league. With his team at 3-5 in 2018 and getting farther away from playoff contention, all signs to him to making his first head-coaching change in eight years.

Because this is Jones and because this is the Cowboys, expect him to try to go big to replace longtime favorite Jason Garrett — with Oklahoma's Lincoln Riley. Why Riley? He represents the perfect candidate to reboot America's Team.

There will no repeat of 2014 or 2016 for Dallas, when it won the NFC East on the foundation of its running game and defense, with Jones building two strong fronts. In the year of the passing and scoring explosion, the Cowboys are desperately playing catch up and it's not working.

Quarterback Dak Prescott is carrying over his sophomore slump from last season and until the trade for Amari Cooper — when they overpaid with a first-round pick — Prescott was struggling with the NFC's worst receiving corps. With some offensive line injuries and the Cowboys no longer dominating on the ground with Ezekiel Elliott, Prescott hasn't been equipped with the personnel or play-calling to reach the level of his stellar rookie year.

The morning after the Cowboys lost 28-14 at home to the Titans on Monday night, Jones came out and said Prescott was safe as the long-term QB for the Cowboys and is still in line for a major contract extension sometime in '19. At the same time, Jones gave the dreaded unofficial vote of confidence to Garrett, less so for offensive coordinator Scott Linehan.

Jones doesn't want to make a midseason move on Garrett, à la when he promoted Garrett to replace Wade Phillips in '10. That team was 1-7 after a 11-5 season and there was no choice but to save face.

But there's a good bet when the calendar turns into 2019 after a non-playoff season, Jones will do something reminiscent of 25 years ago: Make the successful leader of the Sooners an offer he couldn't refuse to take over the Cowboys.

When Jones turned to Barry Switzer, however, he went for an established college winner to maintain a dynasty. When Jones makes the inevitable call to sell Riley, it will be for a 35-year-old offensive genius born to take the biggest football job of his native Texas.

Riley's coaching, first as quarterbacks coach and then offensive coordinator at Oklahoma, helped Baker Mayfield become a Heisman-winning sensation and, more important for the Cowboys' purposes, a QB worthy of the draft's first overall pick. He's doing great things again with Kyler Murray.

Someone who can get the very best out of Prescott's strong arm and athleticism should be atop Dallas' wish list. Riley would bring a lot of creativity and versatility that's been sorely missing from the offense with Garrett and Linehan, who continue to employ predictable, easily defended game plans.

Read the rest here:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/...coln-riley-oklahoma/xcn5ygc90mny1necevwc59qbh

"Life is just a fantasy,
Can you live this fantasy life?" - Aldo Nova

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think there are any definite answers. At least none that will bring us the satisfaction we’re looking for. And you appear under the impression we have some realistic solutions.

I'm going to continue to think that they're still possible until it's decided that they're not. It's my last remaining vestige of hope right now.

Until you accept the dysfunctional situation we operate under only then can you begin looking for logical solutions within the parameters Jerry will allow.

Based on the picture you choose to paint, there are none.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Life is just a fantasy,
Can you live this fantasy life?" - Aldo Nova

That's what I've got right now.
FineEnlightenedBird-max-1mb.gif

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm going to continue to think that they're still possible until it's decided that they're not. It's my last remaining vestige of hope right now.

Based on the picture you choose to paint, there are none.
Nothing wrong with hope as long as it’s not a false hope.

And the solutions depend on what your expectations are.