With so many LBers. run a 3-4

conner01

Reaction score
I don’t think they necessarily “loaded up”, but I think measurable improvement is ahead. The loss of Lee on the field isn’t much when you consider what he’s contributed the last couple of years, and we DID add Neal, Parsons and Cox.[/QUOTE
I think we improved the talent
Neal will be playing the same position he did at Atlanta
There they called him a safety, here we are calling him a LB
But with parsons I think we got the talent we’ve missed since Lee’s younger days

blueblood70

Reaction score
How did they load up and where is the depth? They drafted 2 guys to replace the 2 current guys that can’t play.

you see two Lbs but also Neal is being converted to hybrid LB , also some DEs here will become OLBs in 3-4 im sure JS could fit that better then he has as standard LB fulltime etc etc

so we loaded up on LBs that can play 3-4 this offseason plus have FA DE and left over DE that can be auditioning as OLBs..

conner01

Reaction score
When one of our LBers retired right before draft day..I think that cemented where the #1 was going to be..especially when the CBs were drafted right before us.
I agree
Once you lost the chance of a top CB it became a no brainer
I’m not sure parsons wouldn’t have been the pick if surtain had been there anyway
Parsons is an elite prospect himself

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Teams don’t run a true 4-3 or 3-4 any more. They mix it up.

The good news is that the Cowboys have the personnel to run any scheme.
If you say so. I didn't see them run it very effective last year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Dallas suddenly has a deep investment in Lbs. We are going to need some playcalling from our LBS. Suppose we put 4 LBers out there now.

A 3-4 defense would be a interesting. Defense with the talent we have now why not run a 3-4 defense and make us a special defense Like Doomsday or the Steel Curtain whatever.

I want our defense to really do something to shake up our rep. Winning would be a nice start.

I don't think we're built to put four true linebackers out there. Doing it also would take our best defender (DeMarcus Lawrence) off the field because he's not a linebacker and he's far too small to play 3-4 end unless maybe we're running the Phillips' 3-4.

If you put four linebackers out there, who are your pass rushers? I believe that Parsons could be one (and will be some), but I wouldn't want Smith, LVE or Neal rushing the passer over Lawrence or Gregory, who might could play 3-4 OLB.

I think wanting to play our best pass rushers is why our 3-4 will be more of a hybrid. Lawrence will line up as a LEO or DPR, essentially making him the fourth linebacker, and he might stand up some, but he's not going to drop into coverage.

If we do end up playing Lawrence as a 3-4 DE and putting Neal, Parsons, LVE and Smith out there at linebacker, I will be curious how Quinn will manage that.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
I don't think we're built to put four true linebackers out there. Doing it also would take our best defender (DeMarcus Lawrence) off the field because he's not a linebacker and he's far too small to play 3-4 end unless maybe we're running the Phillips' 3-4.

If you put four linebackers out there, who are your pass rushers? I believe that Parsons could be one (and will be some), but I wouldn't want Smith, LVE or Neal rushing the passer over Lawrence or Gregory, who might could play 3-4 OLB.

I think wanting to play our best pass rushers is why our 3-4 will be more of a hybrid. Lawrence will line up as a LEO or DPR, essentially making him the fourth linebacker, and he might stand up some, but he's not going to drop into coverage.

If we do end up playing Lawrence as a 3-4 DE and putting Neal, Parsons, LVE and Smith out there at linebacker, I will be curious how Quinn will manage that.
Exactly what I was going say - and whatever D you play, gotta have D-law with his hand in the dirt, dont wanna see him in a 2 point stance.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Of course, they could use Lawrence in the way the Cowboys used Ware in the 3-4 (maybe what you meant by the Phillips 3-4), or even how they used Ellis in the 3-4 - basically just as a pass rusher.

But I agree that pass rusher would become a problem. Other than using D-Law as a pass rusher, there really aren't LB's on the team that seem suited to be big time pass rushers. D Law isn't even the pass rusher was saw or thought he would be a few years back. And we don't really have that anchor NT for the middle.

I agree that the 3-4 will be something of a hybrid. Likely the team will shift things around to show different looks.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Of course, they could use Lawrence in the way the Cowboys used Ware in the 3-4 (maybe what you meant by the Phillips 3-4), or even how they used Ellis in the 3-4 - basically just as a pass rusher.

But I agree that pass rusher would become a problem. Other than using D-Law as a pass rusher, there really aren't LB's on the team that seem suited to be big time pass rushers. D Law isn't even the pass rusher was saw or thought he would be a few years back. And we don't really have that anchor NT for the middle.

I agree that the 3-4 will be something of a hybrid. Likely the team will shift things around to show different looks.
Gregory would fit that role much better than DLaw.
DLaw really struggled trying to do that 3-4 stuff.

He's a hand on the ground 4-3 LDE through and through.

Last edited:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
We lost 2 LB and drafted 2 LB
Not really loading up to me
Player acquisition has gone the way it has, so we could move players like Basham, Gregory, and Anae to OLB. We lost two inside linebackers, drafted their replacements, then added Anthony Hines III. So we have 12/13 players on our roster right now that will spend time at LB.

FYI..
The expression, "loaded up" can be used in association with a high draft pick being taken at a position of lesser importance. For example; If both of your starting linebackers (from last year) are under 30 and are high draft picks themselves, there should be no need to draft another LB in the first round, this year.

:thumbup:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dallas suddenly has a deep investment in Lbs. We are going to need some playcalling from our LBS. Suppose we put 4 LBers out there now.

A 3-4 defense would be a interesting. Defense with the talent we have now why not run a 3-4 defense and make us a special defense Like Doomsday or the Steel Curtain whatever.

I want our defense to really do something to shake up our rep. Winning would be a nice start.
who would be able to effectively play the WOLB? that's the guy that needs to be able to rush. Gregory? Lawrence is not a fit for a 3-4 DE, and he struggled rushing from standup position. if we have Gregory and Lawrence, then pass defense is compromised because neither can drop into coverage and we need at least one of them to be able to.....3-4 transition is at least a 2 year project and it would be a step back before moving forward. Also, 3-4 defense are somewhat suspect to runs, specially when the DL is rather small. we just don't have the right 3-4 DEs.....

but I hear you...what to do with all these LBs....well, lets get rid of Jaylon for one....then LVE.....probably both will happen next year

conner01

Reaction score
Player acquisition has gone the way it has, so we could move players like Basham, Gregory, and Anae to OLB. We lost two inside linebackers, drafted their replacements, then added Anthony Hines III. So we have 12/13 players on our roster right now that will spend time at LB.

FYI..
The expression, "loaded up" can be used in association with a high draft pick being taken at a position of lesser importance. For example; If both of your starting linebackers (from last year) are under 30 and are high draft picks themselves, there should be no need to draft another LB in the first round, this year.

:thumbup:
I think some are gonna be surprised how little 3-4 we run

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

I would leave D-Law where he is comfortable. However, I would put Randy Gregory similar to the role to that of Ware in a 3-4.

As for NT didn't we draft one in the 6th round?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Run a 2 5, lol

nobody

Reaction score
That's predicated on having enough GOOD Linebackers. Jaylon doesn't count. Vander Esch doesn't count because of his health issues.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

That’s how you win . Over the years, when we have had great linebackers we won championships

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
who would be able to effectively play the WOLB? that's the guy that needs to be able to rush. Gregory? Lawrence is not a fit for a 3-4 DE, and he struggled rushing from standup position. if we have Gregory and Lawrence, then pass defense is compromised because neither can drop into coverage and we need at least one of them to be able to.....3-4 transition is at least a 2 year project and it would be a step back before moving forward. Also, 3-4 defense are somewhat suspect to runs, specially when the DL is rather small. we just don't have the right 3-4 DEs.....

but I hear you...what to do with all these LBs....well, lets get rid of Jaylon for one....then LVE.....probably both will happen next year
If LVE and Gregory play well this year..I definitely would like to keep them. I am against letting talent walk. It's too hard and too costly to replace them later.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Lawrence is just a bad fit for a 3-4. Having no football philosophy in the front office has consequences. We change defensive schemes with changing DCs, turning players into bad fits with every such churn.