Twitter: Witten has high praise for Dak

HungryLion

Reaction score
Romo is proof of it. He wasn't even drafted and worked on his footwork, throwing motions, platforms. Totally different player 3 years from when he was drafted. People laughed about his noodle arm his first year.

Exactly. Romo really did improve from UDFA, until his 3rd year. Heck Romo was still improving his entire career. He was getting better and better until his body failed him with injuries.

I don’t know why some think QB’s don’t continue to improve if they put the work in.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Witten's comment that Dak "knows this offense inside-out" should tell anyone who may be in denial that the offensive playbook is not going to differ much under Moore from the one Garrett installed and Linehan used. I hope nobody was expecting drastic changes. The Cowboys have made it clear that that isn't happening.

There may be more movement and better calls made to fit situations, but the scheme is still Garrett's.
There is very little differences from one playbook to the next. But what the OC chooses to install from that playbook and use in games varies. Moore is using motion and runs different plays out of the same formations, runs the same play out of different formations and is using rub plays. Things will still be different.

mmohican29

Reaction score
David Helman (@HelmanDC) Tweeted:
Jason Witten said today that Dak Prescott has had “a hell of a camp” this spring. When asked why, he said Dak’s accuracy and anticipation have improved dramatically from before he retired. #cowboyswire https://t.co/NXcwFDg6rC

"He's truly chasing greatness..." and "At another level right now"

Jason Witten on Dak Prescott (DC.com video interview).

I'll say this about Dak. He has 100% of the heart and stones to win big in the NFL. Kid is relentlessly competitive and completely fearless.

He's good right now. Is greatness within his grasp?

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Listen, it’s no big secret. Dak’s accuracy issues have been identified from day one, as being due to issues with his footwork and the at times disconnect between his lower and upper body.

That was in all the scouting reports. And it was evident from watching him play.

I have always disagreed with the notion that accuracy is something you either have or don’t. It can be improved and tweaked. IMO. I know some disagree and that’s fine.

Now, ultimately we won’t know how far his footwork has come until he is dealing with a real pass rush.

But if Dak can and has improved that part of his game. That could take his game to the next level.

I've always felt the same way about improving accuracy. No one pops out of the womb throwing dimes with perfect spirals. That's ridiculous. If it's learned, it can be improved.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
There is very little differences from one playbook to the next. But what the OC chooses to install from that playbook and use in games varies. Moore is using motion and runs different plays out of the same formations, runs the same play out of different formations and is using rub plays. Things will still be different.

It's true that an off-tackle run isn't going to differ much from team to team as far as what the run is. How you block for it can differ greatly.

I go back to the Rams game. The Rams game-planned to take our most disruptive defender out of the game and force someone else to stop them. They purposely stacked tight ends and receivers outside the right tackle to nullify Lawrence and ran variations of those same plays that everyone runs off of it.

I don't know how much leeway Moore is going to be given in that regard. Motion for the sake of motion means nothing. It has to be strategically used to create mismatches. Simple things like sliding an outside receiver inside without worrying about motion to get him off a strong press corner can make a big difference, and we seemed to have been allergic to such a move in the past.

I'm all for dressing up Garrett's scheme with bells and whistles if they aren't just used for show. Moore can't motion receivers around on first down and then just run the ball when a run is expected. Defenses aren't going to buy into it unless the offense shows that something different is going to result from it. Yes, we have to run on first down, but we've got to make those eight men in the box be hesitant because we've shown that we're willing to make them pay for it.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I've always felt the same way about improving accuracy. No one pops out of the womb throwing dimes with perfect spirals. That's ridiculous. If it's learned, it can be improved.

Correct. Now the fact that it can be improved doesn’t guarantee success, even with hard work and dedication.

But saying it flat out can’t be improved, I just don’t buy.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It's true that an off-tackle run isn't going to differ much from team to team as far as what the run is. How you block for it can differ greatly.

I go back to the Rams game. The Rams game-planned to take our most disruptive defender out of the game and force someone else to stop them. They purposely stacked tight ends and receivers outside the right tackle to nullify Lawrence and ran variations of those same plays that everyone runs off of it.

I don't know how much leeway Moore is going to be given in that regard. Motion for the sake of motion means nothing. It has to be strategically used to create mismatches. Simple things like sliding an outside receiver inside without worrying about motion to get him off a strong press corner can make a big difference, and we seemed to have been allergic to such a move in the past.

I'm all for dressing up Garrett's scheme with bells and whistles if they aren't just used for show. Moore can't motion receivers around on first down and then just run the ball when a run is expected. Defenses aren't going to buy into it unless the offense shows that something different is going to result from it. Yes, we have to run on first down, but we've got to make those eight men in the box be hesitant because we've shown that we're willing to make them pay for it.
Good post.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
5 years, 175 million..,.
71IX6At.gif

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Every article, observation, comment or any other kind of information about Moore is how freakin intelligent he is.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Listen, it’s no big secret. Dak’s accuracy issues have been identified from day one, as being due to issues with his footwork and the at times disconnect between his lower and upper body.

That was in all the scouting reports. And it was evident from watching him play.

I have always disagreed with the notion that accuracy is something you either have or don’t. It can be improved and tweaked. IMO. I know some disagree and that’s fine.

Now, ultimately we won’t know how far his footwork has come until he is dealing with a real pass rush.

But if Dak can and has improved that part of his game. That could take his game to the next level.
I know Aikman said it cant be learned, but he was born accurate. I agree that if the issue is because of mechanics that it can certainly be improved. I’m a logical person and that’s just logical.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Witten's comment that Dak "knows this offense inside-out" should tell anyone who may be in denial that the offensive playbook is not going to differ much under Moore from the one Garrett installed and Linehan used. I hope nobody was expecting drastic changes. The Cowboys have made it clear that that isn't happening.

There may be more movement and better calls made to fit situations, but the scheme is still Garrett's.
Totally disagree. All offenses have a base number of routes that are the same throughout the league. It’s all how you can disguise those routes with motion. That is going to be a drastic change for this offense as they were near the bottom in how many plays they ran with motion.